IGNORED

The Walking Dead!

The Sarge

Awful and pointless last episode, the series fizzled out like a cheap firework.

Ep6 Spoiler:

Amazing that the decontaminating fuel-air bomb took down the whole (terrible CGI!) building with an explosion rather than the vacuum implosion I expected. A niggling point, yes, but they made a point of it being a thermobaric decontamination device using aerosol fuel and ignition when they should've said 'SHIT BLOWS UP'.

I guess it matters more because I am disappointed and that's all I can give an arse complaining about. The whole episode was WTF?

Yeah, I think we need to start using

Ep X spoiler

and

Comic spoiler

across the board here.

The thread's fucked. Loads of people have only just enjoyed the episode broadcast over the weekend and yet every Monday, there's a constant stream of complaints about how shit the next episode is.

Well I enjoyed it.

I agree it hasn't really lived up to the potential of the first episode, or indeed to AMC's other output that I've seen, but on its own merits - and not comparing it to any source material - I liked that. Except for

the sci-fi talking computer interface stuff. The most petty of complaints, maybe, but it really took me out of the episode every time it happened.

Oh and I genuinely thought Andrea and Dale were going to die at the end.

AND the whispering was shit.

Just watched the finale.

That decapitation near the end was quite satisfying, and probably the only memorable moment. THWACK!

As for the rest...it was very Lost. The hot showers. The countdown. The shady scientist bloke. The one or two half decent characters outnumbered by lame ones. I KNEW the patient would be his wife. Of course she would. I KNEW that kid would make an ICKY face after tasting the wine. It was just all so predictably toothless.

Oh...and who the fuck carries a live grenade in their handbag?

The pace is the real problem with the show. Every episode should be like the first, the pace was perfectly done. You had the action scenes and then you had the talky scenes with Rick, the father and son. Most of the episodes since the pilot were just the characters sitting around talking. Lost did it pretty well, mixing action with character moments but even then they had episodes which nothing much happened but they had 22 episode seasons. This was a six episode season, so much should have happened but it didn't.

the sci-fi talking computer interface stuff. The most petty of complaints, maybe, but it really took me out of the episode every time it happened.

I'm not sure why it had to talk back when doing that stuff. And they could have picked up a few discarded army weapons or equipment from outside. Also everyone just stares at each other for ages. I know these are silly complaints but....wtf man :(

Was this scientist bit in the comic? I just wondered whether they dropped other plots for this, or if they mishandled what was there already. I'm not sure how the cliched isolated scientist who turns bad after losing his loved one in an experiment (but then repents at the end with an explosion!) could be good. As said, it feels similar to Lost but without the good characters.

I kinda liked the pre-credits bit.

I kinda liked the pre-credits bit.

I can't help but think some of the writers were thinking of Omega Man/ I Am Legend rather than The Walking Dead, especially with the man, his son and zombie wife holed up in their house and the

Ep6:

scientist with his 'oh no patient 19 was his wife!' while he searched for a cure

They got the tone completely wrong there.

I didn't mind that last episode too much. Maybe because my expectations have dipped a little throughout the course of the season. The characters do say the stupidest things though.

When looking at a brain: "Is that a brain?"

Also, hated the bit where...

...black lady says (when talking about the cause of the zombie plague), "Or the wrath of God!" I wanted scientist guy to laugh, and say, "I doubt it!"

Awful and pointless last episode, the series fizzled out like a cheap firework.

Ep6 Spoiler:

Amazing that the decontaminating fuel-air bomb took down the whole (terrible CGI!) building with an explosion rather than the vacuum implosion I expected. A niggling point, yes, but they made a point of it being a thermobaric decontamination device using aerosol fuel and ignition when they should've said 'SHIT BLOWS UP'.

I guess it matters more because I am disappointed and that's all I can give an arse complaining about. The whole episode was WTF?

Amazing that the explosion leveled the entire building but the shockwave didn't turn the survivors in the cars parked just outside into corned beef, or even shatter the windows.

I'm still surprised at

Why the soldier in charge of genociding survivors didn't hose Rick while he was in his comma. I mean I don't see why he would see a difference between a dude unconscious in a hospital bed and the doctors, nurses and patients being shot in the corridors. Or how Shane walks quite happily past the soldiers herding folk through the hospital, but then felt it necessary to have a wee hide when a soldier pokes his head round the door.

Would have made more sence to show Shane accidentally ripping off Ricks heart monitor from his chest when he tries to move him, so when he hides, just as the soldier enters and quickly surveys the room, the monitors would be producing that instantly recognisable steady flatline sound and for all purposes assume there was nothing worth shooting and move on

Having said all that, I did enjoy that episode.

Well the final episode was by far the worst of the series and makes the fishing boat scene seem award worthy in comparison. No pace, no excitement, no tension, silly plot holes, stupid setups, awful dialog... it had it all in spades.

Here's hoping season 2 might be a reboot back to what the pilot showed promise of instead of a cheap Lost knockoff with a couple of zombies... The source material is way more interesting than what they decided to do.

I can't believe that this series has got worse after such a great start. Episode 6 just didn't feel like a series finale, more like a mid-season filler with a big special effect at the end. There was nothing there that said we have to find out what happens in series two, yet nothing there either that wrapped up the first series well. It just sort of ended.

As for the comic to TV comparison, I appreciate that they've moved way off the source material, but I didn't like the CDC. It felt like it was from another show; too sci-fi. Perhaps it was the silly talking computer that did it. I know the comic goes into some twisted places later on but this just felt too Hollywood instead of the reality the comic's grounded in.

Some other things:

So what the hell happened to Merle? Are we to assume he's dead? They didn't even bother looking for him beyond looking out the window and assuming he couldn't have got very far. After that great opening he got in Episode 3, he deserves some more time. If he only to see his fate. The way they did it was just annoying. It's a massive loose thread they haven't tied up yet.

Is that the end of the father and son from episode 1 as well? Rick left that message for them to go to the CDC, though he didn't seem bothered about leaving any kind marker when the building blew up. Oh well, I guess he'll go back in season 2, episode 3 and find them there, then.

What's with the Shane flashback? I take it we're supposed to sympathise with him now that we know that he wasn't lying about thinking Rick was dead. What does that make him now? Misunderstood? I at least hope we get some good drama out of this come next season.

Comic spoiler:

I was expecting them to reveal the point about everybody being infected and ready to turn when they die that they comic gets to when Rick digs up Shane. Sadly, no. It's been bugging me ever since they went to that old folks' home: I don't fancy their chances much. If they are going to put that in the TV fiction, that is. It was a pivotal point for the comic, in my opinion, but also majorly depressing for the world. Who knows if they'll ever address it.

Ep 6 was alright, but like a lot of the series it just felt a bit flat.

Ep 6 spoiler-

The whole idea of no-one else being out there just doesn't wash though, it was only a few eps back that they were wandering through a nicely maintained old folks home with tons of people hanging out relatively safely there. Might have been nice for Rick or something to tell the doctor that.

Felt like a forced jeopardy- I mean, story wise I'm glad the place blew up as it means they have go outside and face zombies, but we didn't really get anything that exciting in the episode. Much better if the doctor had kept his wife alive downstairs in a zombie state, or something... never mind it's a bit of a cliche, it would have at least added some sense of danger to it.

With regards to cliffhangers-

Apparently they didn't know if they'd be getting a second series when the ep was shot, and Darabont didn't want to leave fans in the lurch if it got cancelled.

That said, a proper six ep story arc would have been much better, so it had some sort of definite resolution to it.

Comic / TV spoiler-

I'm guessing the doc told Rick that his wife is pregnant. I thought the whole 'take your blood' scene was a bit odd and forced, wasn't till the end I realised that he probably found out she was pregnant via that.

Andrew-Lincoln-WM-560.jpg

As to what you can watch instead, have you seen Breaking Bad? Watch Breaking Bad. Even if you've seen it already.

Yeah, I watched Breaking Bad before watching Breaking Bad was fashionable.

Still haven't watch 'The Wire' yet though, but I feel it's been hyped up so much it'll only be a letdown.

Is the 'The Event' thing any good?

I've also still got half of Flash Forward to watch, but really can't be bothered.

Yeah, I watched Breaking Bad before watching Breaking Bad was fashionable.

Still haven't watch 'The Wire' yet though, but I feel it's been hyped up so much it'll only be a letdown.

Is the 'The Event' thing any good?

I've also still got half of Flash Forward to watch, but really can't be bothered.

I've stuck with The Event, but I don't know why it's been shit up to now