Mozerella Meatballs in a roasted pepper sauce

Mortis

I'm daring to make this for the very first time for my mum and dad on friday. Pressure on or what? I'm half tempted to do a trial run in my flat beforehand so it's not fuck up city. My mums such a brilliant cook. I'm confident though. Pics will be taken. I'm hoping for a mortis/Lo meatball feast and not a crumbled capone effort. I'm sure it'll be nice with some pasta whatever.

Prepare for noob questions. it's only the meatball frying I'm really concerned about. A "moderate" heat. To me that's pretty fucking hot, I'd cook bacon on a "moderate heat" or sausages, stir fries etc to get the desired browned/crispy finish but I don't want to do that to cheese filled meatballs obviously. I cook ragu sauce and chilli at what I'd call moderate or low heat - that sort of heat?

Man, my shit explaination is shit. :lol:

Prepare for noob questions. it's only the meatball frying I'm really concerned about. A "moderate" heat. To me that's pretty fucking hot, I'd cook bacon on a "moderate heat" or sausages, stir fries etc to get the desired browned/crispy finish but I don't want to do that to cheese filled meatballs obviously. I cook ragu sauce and chilli at what I'd call moderate or low heat - that sort of heat?

Man, my shit explaination is shit. ;)

I fried them on a high heat without a problem. They didn't leak at that stage. They all leaked a bit when simmering in the sauce at a lowish heat.

Man, my shit explaination is shit. ;)

A nice medium heat is all you need - the trick is to keep them turning so they brown all the way around and don't stick to the pan. Also my only other tip is to make sure you seal them up nice and tight when you reform them around the cheese - if you don't then they will split on frying. Don't worry if they open up a bit in the sauce though - that's pretty much a given.

A few of mine opened during the first fry but once they had cooled of a bit I squeezed them back together, I probably had 4 or so that had leaked a bit of cheese, still tasted fantastic and cant wait to have it again, I also emailed my mum with the recipe insisting she made them :(

Operation cook for parents a success! Couldn't have turned out any better. My balls kept their shape (fnarr) and the sauce turned out lovely. My mum was really, really impressed which is very hard to do. Cheers for posting Mortis. I'm seen as the cooking Don. :quote: We had it served on a bed of taggiateli.

post-12088-1251483512_thumb.jpg

Gonna have a go at this today, but one quick question...

"Drain the oil from the jar of peppers and add it along with the juice from the orange..."

Does this mean add the oil from the jar of peppers, or just the peppers?

Ta muchly. ;)

Yeah drain the oil off the jar of peppers and discard. Will fix the grammar there :)

Just finished (a massive, fat-bastard 6-meatball special serving! ;)) and it was delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe Mortis.

My wife especially liked the sauce, and we'll probably try it with different recipes in future (I reckon it'd be nice with some pork chops or a steak).

made mine yesterday with a slight twist. added jalapenos to the meatballs with the mozzerella.

was AMAZING.

:lol:

Yeah good idea.

Made this again last night AND tonight! Trying to perfect it. The main tips from me are to make sure you make the meatballs big enough to contain the mozzarella and also personally I find using tomato passata as a good way to make it more saucy. Also added parmesan cheese to the sauce.

Are the breadcrumbs essential? I found they made the meatballs a little dry? I was thinking that if you needed something to bind them then using 50% sausage meat and 50% mince would probably work

you just love a bit of sausage dont you!

;)