AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

Mortis

Was listening to Idle thumbs a few weeks ago and they mentioned this in passing - well worth a look. The basic premise is base jumping but imagine doing it in a tron like environment. It's superb fun and if you like it enough to buy (the demo's pretty substantial) then you also get an additional 30 levels now - access to all the dev builds as the game goes then the full version in September when it's released.

Demo can be grabbed from here http://www.dejobaan.com/aaaaa/

• 3 weeks later...

This is out today - demo still there

http://www.dejobaan.com/aaaaa/

It's a lot of fun...

$15 from the devs - £8.99 on Steam (unlocks anytime now) etc. etc.

Steam had a deal to get their last game (a Katamari-alike called "The Wonderful End of the World") for free if you ordered before today but it seems that offer still stands too (at lesat it's still being advertised).

:lol:

Was looking at this before but resisted, but seeing that you still get the 10% off and free game I just went ahead and bought it. I've got far too many games I don't play already, guess this will be another one.

I keep rerunning the demo - it's strangely addictive.

I was resisting the purchase but - it's... - transfixing.....

Yeah I played the demo a fair bit and ordered it off steam - just waiting on it unlocking now - well worth £10.

It should have unlocked - those who pre-ordered from the Dev got their copies after 7pm this evening (UK time) and Steam's countdown ended around then.

Have Steam done another 'it's unlocked but not unlocked' thing???

Try restarting your Steam Client!??

It should have unlocked - those who pre-ordered from the Dev got their copies after 7pm this evening (UK time) and Steam's countdown ended around then.

Have Steam done another 'it's unlocked but not unlocked' thing???

Try restarting your Steam Client!??

Nope still sitting unable to do anything with it - knew I should have bought it from the devs!!!

Got mine very early this morning. Bit surprised that some of the controls have changed from the beta so I keep twatting the space bar to jump only there is no jump anymore.

It's really great. Getting those 5 star runs is already turning into a vague obsession.

once you unlock the flip off glove and the spray paint it gets even more frantic - falling at speed through small gaps while flipping off protesters and aiming for a bird in flight to then mess up in the landing is one of those swear at the PC and hit retry moments :lol:

The presentation is really random and kind of annoying to me. The cube-based menu system is wholly pointless and cumbersome, and there's so much craziness going off in the menus. Teeth? Spinning cubes? Confirm button on the left side of the screen? It's a lil' headache inducing. Still, the core falling is pretty good fun! I like the fact that the demo has quite a bit of stuff to try out. :lol:

Hmm, they've changed the caffeine hit so it slows you down instead of speeding you up.

What an odd choice.

Slowing you increases your score - speeding you up would - erm - do little??

I've had a great evening with this tho - it's the first game to seriously inroad my work for weeks, I've gotten naff-all done tonight really...

This is a good thing once in a while tho :lol:

You used to get a speed boost and double plate score from the caffeine. It was quite mental. That said, I'm thankful for the ability to slow down now - especially on the mountain drops. Can make a massive difference between landing in the safe zone and veering off the edge of a platform if you take it a bit wide.

It's not just great that games like this are evidently viable, it's that they're where most of the originality and 'fun' in gaming is coming from.

"Big Business" games are something I'm losing interest in fast - another 'shiny space marine' game - another 5-years-in-production epic which is the same as the last one - originality is in short supply with this stuff...

Ok - there's a tonne of indies whacking out mediocre stuff but then you get something like this and you sigh and feel warm about gaming again...

Yeah, I don't think the presentation does it any favours, although people seem to be liking it so eh. It's a bit LOL PROGRAMMER HUMOUR for me. It's also the only game to ever give me proper proper migraines, I'm not sure if it's the colour scheme or the general presentation. :D It's not motion sickness or anything. But yeah, the core game itself is fun, and very addictive!

i'll take your word for it that the game is good, gaming people!

No need to take anyone's word for it - there's a demo which has a tonne of content in it - so you can AAaaa-away an evening on that...

What makes it work for me is the controls - I'd assumed it would be one of those 'gentle touch' games where you'd need to be precise, but in reality you can throw yourself around with wild abandon (and frequently you have to) - bouncing off walls and hurtling into tiny gaps etc. etc.

That and the level design - which is amazing in places - is what makes it an essential game IMO - the humour is just a plus and if it's not your thing, easy to ignore.

I just spent the past hour or so playing the very generous demo. I was smiling, laughing and screaming the entire time! It's so much fun!

Then i got to the "do you wanna buy?" screen, and the story the guy tells you about the production team was so hilarious, i had to immediately purchase it. :wub:

• 1 month later...

i've only just discovered this and it's ludicrously good fun.

They seem like a great company as well; two guys kept going on and on in the Steam forum about how there should be a '5 stars on every level' Steam Achievement, so they've made one and called it "The Rhylos And Skaery Memorial Achievement, For Which We Will Honor Them."