IGNORED

360 Arcade price increase

mr_rmg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-incre...360-price-in-uk

Retailers have told Eurogamer that Microsoft will increase the price of the Arcade Xbox 360 bundle to £159.99 (from £129.99) starting 1st September. The five XBLA games will no longer be included in the bundle, either.

ShopTo boss Igor Cipolletta received confirmation from Microsoft this morning, as did a corroborating independent retail chain source.

We're also told that Microsoft will bump the price of individual Xbox 360 accessories by one or two pounds. Our independent retail source said this is being done to counteract the poor pound-to-Euro currency exchange rate.

Furthermore, the email from Microsoft to retailers mentioned only Arcade and Elite bundles. This strengthens rumours that the Premium Xbox 360 bundle is being discontinued.

I can understand why they have done it but LOL, has a console ever gone up in price before? especially so long into its life.

Given that the 360 is pretty well haxxored now might be a good time to pick up an arcade for emu / media shenanigans.

I'll just repeat what I said in the sales thread.

Putting up your prices just as your main competitor is widely expected to announce a significant price cut is certainly a novel approach.

Maybe they've hired Ken Kutaragi as a sales consultant.

Maybe MS doesn't like the arcade and uses this method to push people towards the HDD systems.

If that was the case, they wouldn't be discontinuing the Premium.

With Live Arcade getting bigger and the release of 360 games for direct download, the only reason I can see for them continuing to sell HDD-less machines is so they can sell the hard drives at their ridiculous prices.

Maybe MS doesn't like the arcade and uses this method to push people towards the HDD systems.

Then they're fucking stupid. The Arcade has been their biggest seller by far for a while now. I can understand them wanting customers to have HDs so they can fleece them for Marketplace stuff and 400 point lightsabers. But there's a huge amount of players who just want something simple that plays games, the Wii is testament to that, and they can try and convince consumers how much their life will be enriched with a 120gb HD all they want but I supect it will be met with about as much success as Sony's value comparison charts.

It's definitely very much looking that way - even if the rumoured slim doesn't have one lots of fire sales have been going on in Europe and things.

Not really the same though, especially since Sony have been starving retailers of new stock since before April. How many are left in circulation to be discounted, I wonder?

Not really the same though, especially since Sony have been starving retailers of new stock since before April. How many are left in circulation to be discounted, I wonder?

No idea, but the current buzz on GAF appears to suggest there will be a price cut along with the slim. I know this is Sony, but it really is getting beyond a joke at how long it's taken to drop price, so they'd be fucking stupid to keep it going much longer. I really want to buy one now and everything, but I really am hoping for a cut.

It seems very odd as the exchange rate between the Pound and the Dollar is better from an importers point of view than it has been for almost a year, and is moving ever further in their favour.

I could kinda understand their logic if they were pulling this just before Xmas 08 when demand was high and the exchange rate was at an almost all time low, but since then? Everything seems to point against it. Sony are rumoured to be cutting the price of the PS3, the Wii is still killing the 360, half of the AAA titles for Q3 and Q4 have been delayed into 2010. Microsoft clearly know something we dont, but it seems a baffling decision to make.

This exploit has already been fixed in the latest dash update.

Do machines sitting on shelves currently have the latest update of the NXE?

It's the removal of the 5 free arcade games that I find most bizarre. Like the bad press they'll get for raising the price isn't enough, they also want to decrease it's value too. A truly odd move, doubly so in the face of an imminent new and cheaper PS3 release.