360 Arcade price increase

mr_rmg

The Elite is going down in price isn't it? I imagine they're balancing the supposed expense of the 120gb hard drives by charging more for the arcade.

Bit weird to be honest. But, I'm confident Sony will swoop in with an announcement of such moronic magnificence that the very halls of Valhalla will echo with the words SOOOOOONYLOOOOOOOOL from the highest peak to the lowest depth. I imagine the PS3 slim probably costs £900 and is a bit thicker than the original PS3. And emits a pheremone that stops you from enjoying bacon anymore.

It's not so much a price raise as a reshuffling of the entire line. The Premium is being dropped, the Elite is dropping to the Premium pricepoint, and the Arcade is increasing slightly. But at the same time, what's actually in those packages is changing, and this we don't really know much about aside from what's leaked so far. We know the Arcade loses the XBLA games and gains an HDMI cable, for instance.

It's not like the Wii where they just raised the price to retailers because of the exchange rate.

. We know the Arcade loses the XBLA games and gains an HDMI cable, for instance.

Aren't they dropping all HD cables from all 360 models though? And the elite might not drop in price here because the elite is actually more expensive over in the states than it is here ($399 IIRC). I could see it being a US only thing. Unless there's been a leaked European flyer about it or something?

Will it have a hard drive? Or a bigger Memory Card? This is baffling.... something doesn't smell right. That's QUITE a price hike.

Maybe it's a ploy to have everyone run out and buy one before the price hike, then they're all like, ha, fooled you. There's a hard drive in the new one, and a load of free Avatat

The Elite is going down in price isn't it? I imagine they're balancing the supposed expense of the 120gb hard drives by charging more for the arcade.

The Elite's RRP is currently £229, so if it is to go down in price surely the Arcade will just look like a complete waste of time? "You can buy this one for £170, or you could get this black one for £200 with a 120GB HDD that would cost you around £100 separately."

I think the Arcade is going to get a 60GB HDD.

Do machines sitting on shelves currently have the latest update of the NXE?

Probably not, but as soon as you got it home and connected to Live it would do. The current version of NXE is the first update that overwrites the bootloader, which is what this new hack originally exploited.

Yeah but ZOMG!!!1! the console has gone up in price! I don't care about all the details :blink:

Let's not let "facts" get in the way of some over-reaction.

If they're not doing anything to increase it's value, like adding a hard drive, then it's a pretty rubbish move for the consumer no matter how you try to justify it.

If they're not doing anything to increase it's value, like adding a hard drive, then it's a pretty rubbish move for the consumer no matter how you try to justify it.

Especially since I bet the hard drives cost peanuts. Definitely not £30, surely?

The Elite's RRP is currently £229, so if it is to go down in price surely the Arcade will just look like a complete waste of time? "You can buy this one for £170, or you could get this black one for £200 with a 120GB HDD that would cost you around £100 separately."

I reckon the Elite will get a pricedrop here, just not to the Premium level. They'll try and differentiate the two

SKUs

Wouldn't that be tantamount to dropping the arcade and lowering the prices of the Premium/Elite?

It takes the majesty of Rllmuk to fit in a SonyLOL in a topic titled "360 Arcade price increase", as well as a '90s racial pinch. Fuck's sake.

That's the thing about a Sonylol. They strike when you least expect it. Well, and when you are expecting it. And, well, everywhere inbetween.

A price increase sounds really odd. They should drop the Arcade to £99 and have the elite at £169. I can also understand the though about dropping the Pro system, since there is really no need for the Pro and Elite to be in the same market space.

Wouldn't that be tantamount to dropping the arcade and lowering the prices of the Premium/Elite?

Yep. I'm sure the current Arcade sells a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft are making a loss on it.

It seems a bit silly for MS to push a machine without a HDD when they're wanting people to spend money on DLC, XBLA, Games on Demand, the video store, Avatar tat, etcetera. They're moving more and more towards Live-based services, so putting out hardware that can't even fit Shadow Complex on its internal memory seems rather counter productive.

No, which was my point. Grabbing an arcade now not only gets you it cheaper but also gets you one with an exploitable dashboard revision.

Actually, this isn't true either. It's only pre-Jasper models that can be hacked with this latest hack (regardless of which version of the dash is installed). Jasper models have a newer kernal that this latest hack does not work with. Most (if not all) Arcades on shelves will be Jasper models by now given that they were first introduced almost a year ago.

Source: the last 10 minutes of this:

It seems a bit silly for MS to push a machine without a HDD when they're wanting people to spend money on DLC, XBLA, Games on Demand, the video store, Avatar tat, etcetera. They're moving more and more towards Live-based services, so putting out hardware that can't even fit Shadow Complex on its internal memory seems rather counter productive.

The people that care about those things are the audience the Elite is aimed at. The Arcade is for people that just want to play games.

Actually, this isn't true either. It's only pre-Jasper models that can be hacked with this latest hack (regardless of which version of the dash is installed). Jasper models have a newer kernal that this latest hack does not work with. Most (if not all) Arcades on shelves will be Jasper models by now given that they were first introduced almost a year ago.

LULZ!

The people that care about those things are the audience the Elite is aimed at. The Arcade is for people that just want to play games.

Sure, but Microsoft wants those people to get online. Have you seen the NXE when it's not connected to the 'net? It just about stops short of calling you names for not being on Live.

Frankly, why should MS care about people that aren't likely to make them much money? Better to take away the option and only offer a package that enables them to say, "Hey, look at all this stuff you're missing out on by being offline. You've got everything you need, just plug an Ethernet cable in..." Not everyone's going to go on to spend 400 points on a lightsaber, but it's better odds than the 0% chance they have of selling things to those offline.

It takes the majesty of Rllmuk to fit in a SonyLOL in a topic titled "360 Arcade price increase"

It's not so unusual, though:

Sony are saying

"hang on for a bit and we'll reduce the price, honest"

MS are saying

"buy now or cough up more later"

it's AMAZING!

It's amazing-ly bad timing for MS, that's for sure.

"PS3: Now smaller, cheaper, and better!"

"Xbox 360: Now you don't get any free games, and you'll be paying more. Oh, yeah, these still break a lot BTW."

They can't keep the price down because of the exchange rate I'm sure, and if they put it up, they'll look bad. It's lose-lose.

Cheers for that, I haven't followed the 360 hack scene in any detail.