Xbox 360 price cut confirmed for August 28 - Update & PR pg 4.

The Sarge

A trusted UK retailer has confirmed to VG247 that there is indeed a price cut coming to Xbox 360 and that the Pro is on the way out, starting this coming Friday, August 28.

According to our source, the Elite-price will drop from £239.99 to £199.99 - the same as a Wii - while the Pro 60Gb will be discontinued as has been heavily rumoured.

The Arcade will “continue to be the entry level” hardware, we were told, but the current console bundle with Sega Superstars Tennis will finish. A new Arcade will launch at a suggested price of £159.99 without any software.

GameStation will be launching an Elite bundle at £199.99 with COD 4 Modern Warfare and Fight Night Round 4, and as far as trade-ins, you’ll be able to get an Elite for £99.99 if you put in a Wii or a 60Gb 360. Should you decide to trade-in a 160Gb PS3 you can get an Elite for £19.99.

That’s God damn awesome.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/26/source-blo...-199-on-friday/

It makes quite the difference. I owned a 20Gb model until Microsoft kindly replaced it for an Elite because it broke down all the time, and it really is great to be able to download whatever you want and install your favourite games ot the HDD without worrying about storage.

Although the 120Gb will also run out eventually, obviously.

It's not really a price cut, it's a price hike. They've put up the price of an Arcade and the next model up is now £30 dearer than it was. HD sizes increase all the time as standard, as the Pro went from 20gb to 60gb and yet still received price cuts.

Excuse me if I'm being thick, but this looks like a price rise to me.

An 'arcade' machine now costs more, and a machine with a hard disk now costs... more?

WTF?

I dont know how you are coming to that conclusion.

Yeah, the arcade is having a price rise apparantly.

But the Elite is £199. Today, it is £230/£240. Basic maths tells us this is infact, a price drop.

Well I guess I'll buy an elite then.

It feels a bit strange though. I definately don't want an arcade. And the Pro feels too close in price now.

But I doubt I'll use the extra 60GB. And I don't really like the black finish due to underlying racial issues.

So yeah. Microsoft have weened an extra £30 from me. The tykes.

I dont know how you are coming to that conclusion.

Yeah, the arcade is having a price rise apparantly.

But the Elite is £199. Today, it is £230/£240. Basic maths tells us this is infact, a price drop.

The difference in price to Microsoft to supply a unit in black rather than white and with a 120gb HD rather than a 60GB must total a difference in pence. If anything.

The Elite offers nothing but 60GB of extra space over a Premium, yes? So they take one away and upgrade the specs at virtually no cost and charge the customer more.

It's neither a price rise or fall. It's a sham.

Still, my Arcade was about £100 so I don't give a damn...

I kind of understand why the Pro is taken out though. Microsoft is banking more and more on video rentals, downloadable content/add-ons, games on demand, Xbox Live arcade and stuff like that. So marketing-wise, it seems they go for the following two target audiences:

* 'Hardcore' gamers / online gamers / media fanatics - they want to get everything out of the system and download and spend points like crazy on games, DLC and media. They need large HDDs to be able to store all the stuff MS wants to sell them.

* 'Casual' gamers - they like a bit of Gears of War or Lips when returning from the pub. They might even play one or two arcade games, but they don't really care. All they want is a nice cheap entry level console to get them going and maybe, in time, they may invest in a separate HDD if they become more serious.

Which leaves the question why they upped the price of the arcade while losing the games. Is it to recoup costs? Do they want to make the Elite (with its potential to generate more income through all the downloadable guff mention above) look like a more interesting prospect?

I think I'll follow your earlier advice and look for a deal on a pro in game this friday.

And i meant with the elite. Not the pro. You will be lucky if you can find a pro. My store has been sold out for about 2 weeks now.

I can't be the only person that thinks £199 is expensive for an elite with the new PS3 only £249? I mean add the price of a wireless adapter and you are basically there except without Blueray, upscaled DvDs etc

Add in the reliability issues and I think I would go PS3 if I hadn't got the GOW pack at Christmas.

I can't be the only person that thinks £199 is expensive for an elite with the new PS3 only £249? I mean add the price of a wireless adapter and you are basically there except without Blueray, upscaled DvDs etc

Add in the reliability issues and I think I would go PS3 if I hadn't got the GOW pack at Christmas.

The 360 also upscales dvds, but other than that, yes the 360 isn't the cheap machine in comparison that it used to be.

Not particularly well though, the PS3 does a much better job.

I've never compared in all honesty, I have a media/HT pc. Sounds surprising though, I thoght the PS3 scaler wasn't as capable (only scaled one way or something). Maybe that was fixed ages ago.

What reliability issues. 360 is no more unreliable than the PS3 now as far as I can honestly see (and MS have far more practice than Sony repairing your console if it does fail).

Also theres a picture out there of an Elite unit with a free wireless adapter bundled (though it might just be for the US) and a game or two as well...though I'm not sure why people are so interested in wireless, you are much better off taking the trouble of running a network cable to have a more relaible and less fluctuating service.

And then theres the fact its £50 cheaper.

If you want a games machine then the 360 is by far the better option still.

I imagine a lot of this is to ready a space for a third SKU-uuuuu-ooooo with natal and a 360 bundled together in 2010.

It'd be pretty sweet if you could eventually get a natal/elite for £200, an elite for £150, and an arcade for £100.