Xbox 360 price cut confirmed for August 28 - Update & PR pg 4.

The Sarge

Uhm, doesn't it make more sense that the arcade will now come with a HDD since MS want to sell DLC to as many people as possible? That explains why the price is going up and why the pro is disappearing, in one fell swoop. Or is that too obvious :)

It doesn't make sense at all. The UK seems to be the only place that's getting a price hike. I really don't get why some people seem to think that Microsoft is immune to the changes in the exchange rate.

Wii: Trade price increased

DS: No change*

DSi: New console, but was more expensive than expected

PS2: No change, despite an EU price cut

PS3: New console, but was more expensive than expected

PSP: No change*

PSP Go: New console, but was more expensive than expected

* As far as I know

Anyway, the box art has been leaked. We know there isn't going to be a bundled hard drive.

Perhaps we could just confine ourselves to things we do have an idea about at the moment then...which is what I was actually doing.

The 360 currently has no specific reliability problems, it did in the past yes and some still fail now yes, but neither of those facts mean that the general reliablity of the 360 should be of any concern to anyone who is thinking about buying one now, which is what I said.

plant.gif

If you buy a brand new 360 right now, you'd be very unlucky for it to fail. The new chipset (not Falcon, Jasper) is supposed to have fixed the problems...

The problems were an inherent design flaw with the motherboard, only exasperated by the heat that the old chips gave off. If the only difference with the new'uns are smaller (cooler) chips, there's still a chance of the same fault developing, albeit less likely.

I don't think anyone can rule out flaky hardware just yet. Unless you happen to know otherwise...

Microsoft will officially cut the price of the Xbox 360 Elite to £199.99 tomorrow, 28th August, and has confirmed the 60GB Pro model will be phased out.

The Xbox 360 Arcade will move to a higher £159.99 price than at present and will not be officially bundled with software as it has been recently.

Over in the US, the Elite will sell for $299.99 and the Arcade for $199.99.

The Elite will no longer ship with a bundled HDMI cable.

Last week Sony cut the price of the PlayStation 3 to £249.99 / €299.99 and announced the introduction of a new slim unit, due out imminently, which features a 120GB hard disk - the same capacity offered by the Xbox 360 Elite.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360...t-to-199-pounds

Official PR

Xbox 360 today invites you to experience more fun, more entertainment and more ways to connect with friends and family at an even better value. From August 28th 2009 an Xbox 360 Elite console will be priced at only £199.99 estimated retail price (ERP). And with 120GB of storage, there's plenty of room for your favourite games, movies and more from Xbox LIVE.

Xbox 360 puts all your entertainment in one place so you can play games, watch movies, listen to music and coming this Autumn, watch live TV via Sky Player, Sky's Online TV service as well as being able to enjoy music with LastFM and be part of the social collective with your Twitter and Facebook, all from your Xbox 360.1 And, as announced earlier this year, the Xbox 360 bought today will work in the future with "Project Natal" the controller-free gaming experience.

"With the Christmas season right around the corner, it's another opportunity to put the consumer centre stage with entertainment and games that everyone will enjoy," said Neil Thompson, Senior Regional Director ,Entertainment and Devices Division, Microsoft UK and Ireland. "We have a goal over the next 18 months to deliver value with amazing content and rich interactive experiences in the living room."

The new pricing structure provides choice, differentiation and value at both entry and premium levels with the new price point for Xbox 360 Elite with a 120GB hard drive at £199.99, and £159.99 for Xbox 360 Arcade. The Xbox 360 Pro with a 60GB hard drive is to be phased out.

Having an Xbox 360 at the centre of your living room provides more fun for less and entertainment for any occasion through Xbox Live:

Play games for everyone. Families and friends can get together to belt out tunes on "Lips" or build a famous foursome and relive the music of the Fab Four with "The Beatles: Rock Band." For those who crave action, players can tear up the tracks of "Forza Motorsport 3"; jump back into the "Halo" universe as an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper in "Halo 3: ODST"; or deploy for combat with this year's highly anticipated title from Infinity Ward, "Modern Warfare 2," the sequel to the best-selling first-person action game in history, "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare."

Watch live TV and movies. Coming this Autumn, Sky Player on Xbox will offer access to Sky's on line TV service including -- Sky Sports - a comprehensive on-demand library of thousands of programmes spanning entertainment, movies, documentaries, kids, culture, news and sports. Along with high definition movies on Zune video megastore in 1080p clarity for many videos and the convenience of on-demand, coming this fall.2

Connect with families & friends. Xbox LIVE, the industry-leading online gaming and entertainment network, will soon offer its 20 million community members even more blockbuster partners and features, introducing a whole new era of social entertainment in the living room. Starting this Autumn, you can interact with friends on Facebook and share photos and real-time status updates right from your television, or stay connected to Twitter by reading, posting and replying to Tweets.1 And visit the Xbox LIVE Avatar Marketplace for the latest fashions or download full Xbox 360 titles to your hard drive through Games on Demand.

With all of these experiences available for the holidays and the future addition of "Project Natal," which will work with every Xbox 360 sold today and tomorrow, the Xbox 360 system provides more fun for less.

This Christmas is going to be so dominated by the PS3 in the UK it is untrue. "To combat a price drop and a new version of a console by our rival, we have decided to offer better value by making our consoles more expensive"

Is the PS3 ahead in the UK yet? It is on the mainland isn't it?

This Christmas is going to be so dominated by the PS3 in the UK it is untrue. "To combat a price drop and a new version of a console by our rival, we have decided to offer better value by making our consoles more expensive"

... judging by that press release games are an afterthought with MS as well. Wonder if they'll get the same kicking as Sony did the other day... or... will it be a case of that's where the new customers are and this advertising by both companies isn't for us internet shut-ins?

PS3 is still well behind on the UK still, isn't it?

Is the PS3 ahead in the UK yet? It is on the mainland isn't it?

The UK is the 360's second strongest region after the US. Last time I checked the 360 had at least a million sales more and the gap was only widening.

I don't think Sony's pricecut is that significant in the UK. In the US, yes, but in the UK a slim on its own for £250 really doesn't offer that much of a price advantage, if any, over the old model bundles. Microsoft still has at least a 50 quid price advantage here, and that's bundled with 2 games, rising to a 90 quid advantage with the Arcade.

Shopto MAY be selling the Elite for £189.99 tomorrow, there is a link listed on UK hot deals, but Shopto have now removed the deal (odd as it was first listed this morning). If they do put it back on tomorrow its not a bad price (although some are saying you can get it for 199 with bundled games).

Have MS changed the arcade SK.. er model at all? I just find it odd that they keep stating that Project Natal will work with every console you buy today and tomorrow.. I wonder if the "old" arcades cannot run it?

I don't think Sony's pricecut is that significant in the UK. In the US, yes, but in the UK a slim on its own for £250 really doesn't offer that much of a price advantage, if any, over the old model bundles. Microsoft still has at least a 50 quid price advantage here, and that's bundled with 2 games, rising to a 90 quid advantage with the Arcade.

I still think the PS3 slim may gain some ground here. Sure it is £50 more. But when the customer realises it has blu-ray AND wireless, they may be interested. Escpecially considering the 360 wifi adapter is still £60 on the highstreet, wher, lets face it, most people are still buying atm.

And the fact blu-ray is now starting to get in its stride, non-tech folks are starting to know what it is. Add that in with the rising HDTV purchases, and I think it will sway people to the PS3.

I think now, the only reason to go xbox, is First party titles and xbox live. If i was just entering the current gen next week. I would be going PS3.

Have MS changed the arcade SK.. er model at all? I just find it odd that they keep stating that Project Natal will work with every console you buy today and tomorrow.. I wonder if the "old" arcades cannot run it?

It seems to me like the Arcades aren't part of Microsoft's plan anymore, I reckon it'll be ditched before Natal arrives.

Or possibly the Arcade will be bundled with Natal for the same price as now, and MS are happy to lose a few sales (or gain them on Elites?) in the meantime.

£160 for Arcade + Natal doesn't sound a million mile out of whack.

I think it's just a bit late in the day still. In that we're still in recession and what have you, I can't imagine that £50 for a blu-ray player (meaning you'll have to re-buy all your DVDs anyway, so is arguably pointless unless you have more than the £50 spare) and wireless will really do it.

The Wii is still the living room machine AFAIK and the 360 is a bit more of a viable bedroom console replacement of the PS2 for little Johnny, if little Johnny has got mates that have already bought a 360, they would probably have bought a 360 so getting one of those to do on-line games perhaps (or at least swap games with chums...

Pure guess work on my part obviously but I'm not sure if it's really going to help much, they needed the PS3 to actually be cheaper to have a bigger impact IMHO.

We shall all see in the sales figures thread over the next few months I spose...

I still think the PS3 slim may gain some ground here. Sure it is £50 more. But when the customer realises it has blu-ray AND wireless, they may be interested. Escpecially considering the 360 wifi adapter is still £60 on the highstreet, wher, lets face it, most people are still buying atm.

And the fact blu-ray is now starting to get in its stride, non-tech folks are starting to know what it is. Add that in with the rising HDTV purchases, and I think it will sway people to the PS3.

I think now, the only reason to go xbox, is First party titles and xbox live. If i was just entering the current gen next week. I would be going PS3.

Yeah but by that logic people would have been lapping up the original xbox when it was cheaper than the PS2 because of all the technical advantages it had. We're now 3-4 years into the generation and it's extremely rare that things ever drastically change by this point whether there's a price cut or not. A lot of people buy things not on the strength of the features but on the strength of what their friends have or what the public perception of the brand is. I'm not entirely convinced that the mass market are going to be weighing things up in the way you describe when you can get an Arcade, Fifa 10 and the new CoD for the same price as a Slim.

It seems to me like the Arcades aren't part of Microsoft's plan anymore, I reckon it'll be ditched before Natal arrives.

Or possibly the Arcade will be bundled with Natal for the same price as now, and MS are happy to lose a few sales (or gain them on Elites?) in the meantime.

£160 for Arcade + Natal doesn't sound a million mile out of whack.

Probably true. When they told us the HDD was an option there was MUCH gnashing of teeth, especially from the teams. I understand why they did it (the lower price point etc) but as the PS3 was so much more expensive I think they should have had the 20gig model as the base one.

The UK is the 360's second strongest region after the US. Last time I checked the 360 had at least a million sales more and the gap was only widening.

The very first bundle is already a big saving over what was available two weeks ago:

Playstation 3 PS3 Slim 120GB Console: Bundle (including Call of Juarez, 2M HDMI Cable & Basic Instinct Blu-Ray)

RRP: £349.99 You Save: £100.04

PS3 Hardware £249.95 Free Delivery

Zavvi, for the record. Considering you get a smaller machine and a bigger hard-drive too and that the bundle will get better before Christmas...

Really, they're just keeping you from spending the money on pies, which would make you obese. It's their answer to Wii Fit, except instead of tracking your weight loss it bankrupts you so you starve.

:(

"Virtual fitness game!"

I think it's just a bit late in the day still. In that we're still in recession and what have you, I can't imagine that £50 for a blu-ray player (meaning you'll have to re-buy all your DVDs anyway, so is arguably pointless unless you have more than the £50 spare) and wireless will really do it.

What?

What?

well you don't have to obviously but a lot of people re-bought films they had on VHS on DVDs because of the better quality etc, random man on the street might be reluctant to get involved with a new format because they wouldn't want to buy things again. I realise that you can obviously still use DVDs and then just buy your new stuff on Blu-ray but in times of little cash, I personally don't think a lot of people would buy a new format to then only get an occasional movie on it, in comparison to buying a cheaper 360 which upscales DVDs a bit anyway...

I generally think the whole Blu-ray technology was just a bit too soon after DVD, that upgrade made a lot more sense to everyone in comparison to the DVD to Blu-ray, you also don't have the space saving which was available with VHS to DVD, which was another draw.

OK so the whole point is tenuous but in broad terms, I really don't think there's still the general desire for for Blu-ray, especially as many families don't want the "kids console" under the living room telly, so a cheaper machine that can go in the bedroom and also play DVDs or something for the kidz would be more appealing than buying a 'better' format player just to give to the sprog.

I'm rambling. Either way, I'll be surprised to see a massive change in Sony's fortunes with these moves, although MS are taking the pish really and could definitely make it a bit cheaper still but I spose that's waiting for Natal.

On that note, Natal is going to seem like a bigger change (and more sellable) than the PS3 wand in that it's similar to the Wiimote anyway etc... especially if they do a threesixty slim jobby to go with it....

What?

Blu-Ray players are known to evaporate any DVDs within 10m. It's been really annoying for people that live in tower blocks - hundreds of DVDs evaporated owned by people who don't have access to Blu Ray yet!

I haven't bought a single Blu-Ray disc since buying my PS3. They're just too expensive. I can't justify paying so much more for Blu-Ray when it's a 2 hour film I might watch once a year at most. Even online they seem overpriced. I could buy Slumdog Millionaire on DVD for 6 quid off amazon or Play or in-store HMV etc or I could pay 18-20 quid for it on Blu-Ray. I'm simply not willing to pay over three times as much for it right now. It gets even more ridiculous when you get into TV box-sets.

The thing for me is, I was happy with my VHS tapes. Then I got a DVD player, was amazed, then got used to it, then found VHS just awful and was duty bound to rebuy all my favourites.

I'm terrified if I get a blu-ray the same thing will happen. HD woo! Yeah HD, cool. OMG SD looks like turd! OMG DVD is turd! Noooooooooo.

I'm happy with DVD quality, and will not allow my brain to even imagine it gets better.