Xbox 360 price cut confirmed for August 28 - Update & PR pg 4.

The Sarge

Star Trek is out soon, so I'll have to be prepared for blu-ray for that <cough>and get a new TV<cough>

If I'm spending that kind of money then I'm gettting a dedicated blu-ray player that is nice and quiet.

But for old films it's just not worth it. The majority of them aren't going to look any better than a scaled up DVD.

I haven't bought a single Blu-Ray disc since buying my PS3. They're just too expensive. I can't justify paying so much more for Blu-Ray when it's a 2 hour film I might watch once a year at most. Even online they seem overpriced. I could buy Slumdog Millionaire on DVD for 6 quid off amazon or Play or in-store HMV etc or I could pay 18-20 quid for it on Blu-Ray. I'm simply not willing to pay over three times as much for it right now. It gets even more ridiculous when you get into TV box-sets.

I've bought about two. I mostly use Lovefilm instead.

Free resolution upgrade!

But for old films it's just not worth it. The majority of them aren't going to look any better than a scaled up DVD.

This is just so, so wrong. :(

I'd suggest everyone with a PS3 should at least rent Blade Runner The Final Cut on BluRay. As for BluRay films costing 3 times as much...not really in the vast majority of cases. Apart from importing Watchmen DC, I don't think I've payed more than £12 for any of the BluRays I've bought.

The very first bundle is already a big saving over what was available two weeks ago:

Playstation 3 PS3 Slim 120GB Console: Bundle (including Call of Juarez, 2M HDMI Cable & Basic Instinct Blu-Ray)

RRP: £349.99 You Save: £100.04

PS3 Hardware £249.95 Free Delivery

Zavvi, for the record. Considering you get a smaller machine and a bigger hard-drive too and that the bundle will get better before Christmas...

So, they're not planning on selling any to under-18s then? :(

Was my waffled post now not quite as bonkers then? I know there's no way of knowing how idiotic people actually are when you're posting on an anonymous forum but I've been on here a while and sometimes you'd like a bit of benefit of doubt and all that....

Sometimes I just post too quickly I suppose but either way, as Majora sort of proved and Sprite, you rent them yourself anyway, so I do think that some people wouldn't want to get into a new format again... Again though, it's all going to be sales thread excitement for the next few months....

I don't know about this... The Elite/Pro sleight of hand is one thing, but I can't imagine how they're going to put the price of the Arcade up, as well as remove the pack-in game without any backlash. Where's the trick?

They're not called Sony? :(

I dont know how you are coming to that conclusion.

Yeah, the arcade is having a price rise apparantly.

But the Elite is £199. Today, it is £230/£240. Basic maths tells us this is infact, a price drop.

Sorry if this has been covered- but isnt the basics that its now MORE expensive to buy a 360 with a HDD than before? As the premium was under £200 wasnt it?

Obviously the elite has a bigger hdd, but with the removal of the HDMI lead from the package (not expensive to buy seperately at all) your forced to pay more for a console with only the added benefit of a bit more storage space. Which isnt really that useful to the majority of people unless you download a lot of games for xbla.

If sony did this same thing thered be a mass SONYLOL-esque outcry.

Sorry if this has been covered- but isnt the basics that its now MORE expensive to buy a 360 with a HDD than before? As the premium was under £200 wasnt it?

Obviously the elite has a bigger hdd, but with the removal of the HDMI lead from the package (not expensive to buy seperately at all) your paying more for a console with only the added benefit of a bit more storage space. Which isnt really that useful to the majority.

If sony did this same thing thered be a mass SONYLOL-esque outcry.

Essentially, yes. We've gone from:

Xbox 360 + 60GB HDD + controller + headset + ethernet cable = £170

to:

Xbox 360 + 120GB HDD + controller + headset + ethernet cable = £200

Unless 60GB of HDD space is worth £30 to you, I'm not sure that's an improvement. The Elite pack is now identical to the old Pro pack except for colour and HDD size. And them taking out the ethernet and HD cables.

These prices are pretty nuts considering this time last year I bought a Premium 60GB + Fable 2 + PES 2009 for £159. Worked out a £109 after eBaying the games for £30 as they'd both come out that day. So much for the constant depreciation of console prices.

As far as I can see the best price out there at the moment is...

360 Elite + Fight Night Round 4 + Resident Evil 5 + Extra Wireless controller = £199.99

http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid=141...er/Product.html

It appears to come with a HDMI cable too.

Not sure if its been that price before, but it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Fuck, that's a superb deal.