Xbox 360 price cut confirmed for August 28 - Update & PR pg 4.

The Sarge

My wife got me my 8th arcade from shopto.net. Its a jasper 512mb, £120 delivered next day by courier.

if you just want a console and no fluff its dirt cheap, but order fast, no doubt they will up the prices come Tuesday.

It appears Shopto have been pinching the sega tennis out of it and selling the console without it, but 20 quid cheaper is fine be me, and if you really want the game its £3.80 something on the sight anyway!!

I'd suggest everyone with a PS3 should at least rent Blade Runner The Final Cut on BluRay. As for BluRay films costing 3 times as much...not really in the vast majority of cases. Apart from importing Watchmen DC, I don't think I've payed more than £12 for any of the BluRays I've bought.

It really does look good doesnt it, the bit on the roof in the rain just looks like it was filmed yesterday. :mellow:

Any word on what the GAME deals are? Particularly anything on the Pro model would be interesting.

edit: Sorry, my mistake. Game are doing the Elite with a choice of 2 games from Modern Warfare, GTA Iv, Fight Night Round 4 and Tiger Woods 10. Not that great after all.

Full page ad in the paper this morning for an Elite with Fight Night Round 4, Modern Warfare, GTAIV and Tiger Woods 10 for £199.99, which surely in anyone's book is a bit of a bargain?

Jesus Christ, that's an amazing deal. What are GAME smoking? Their bundles are usually awful.

edit: Sorry, my mistake. Game are doing the Elite with a choice of 2 games from Modern Warfare, GTA Iv, Fight Night Round 4 and Tiger Woods 10. Not that great after all.

Still not too bad though... You (still) can't find MW new for much < £30, GTA is still > £20 and the other two are full price....

Anyone wanting a last-gasp cheap Arcade should try this.

WARNING: it's Littlewoods Catalogue related for the elitists and the discount may not work if you've used them/the code before - and there's P&P on top of the deal - but people are reporting the "zg426" code for £25 discount works AOK and they give Quidco too - which means your Arcade will be well under £100 delivered (rather better than £160 and it leaves enough to buy an HDD and still come in well-under the Elite deals out there).

Now - where for cheap HDDs perhaps?

Yeah, GAME have fucking smashed it with those deals. £200 for an Elite w/ Tiger Woods 2010 & Fight Night Round 4? I can't see that lasting long.

Can't you buy a 20gb direct from MS for like £12 or something?

It's was £12.99 but that page is long-dead on their site.

£20-odd seems to get a 20Gb unit preowned - £35-40 a 60Gb unit and the 'official' 60Gb pack is £60 (discounts online etc.) with 3 months Gold (worth £10 then) which pushes even this deal into Elite territory...

This is just bollocks. A price INCREASE is plain suicide. The new PS3 with blue ray seems incredibly appealing and I'm sure that (for the first time) the Ps3 will beat the shit out of the 360 in terms of console sales this Xmas.

You must have read my mind as I was just gonna post the very same thing. If you're new to the market then the software catalogue is incredibly similar yet the PS3 has the upcoming GT which is always very popular. Comparing them side by side now and the PS3 really does come out on top pound for pound:-

Free online gaming

Wireless

Rechargable pad

Blu-ray

Optical out

The Pro was a great deal, especially cos it was HD out of the box (ok component but better than composite by a mile).

How on earth MS think they can release a press statement to confirm their price 'drop' is beyond me.

You must have read my mind as I was just gonna post the very same thing. If you're new to the market then the software catalogue is incredibly similar yet the PS3 has the upcoming GT which is always very popular. Comparing them side by side now and the PS3 really does come out on top pound for pound:-

Free online gaming

Wireless

Rechargable pad

Blu-ray

Optical out

The Pro was a great deal, especially cos it was HD out of the box (ok component but better than composite by a mile).

How on earth MS think they can release a press statement to confirm their price 'drop' is beyond me.

Except that the Elite is £50 cheaper and for that price can be had with 2 relatively new games and an extra pad.

Anyone who thinks having to pay £50 more and not getting anything that you can actually play or watch with it for the privilage makes the PS3 a more tempting offer is, as far as I can see, being blinded by something.

the PS3 has the upcoming GT which is always very popular.

When it's available it will be a factor - until then it's vapour and no-one (and I mean no-one) cares about it

and in the spirt of 'balance'...

Free inferior by miles and miles online gaming

Wireless which not everyone needs

Rechargable pad err the 360 comes with wireless pads too!?

Blu-ray which is great if you like that sort of thing I'll admit - tho standalone players are quieter and dropping in price quickly

Optical out which is also great for the small number of people who know about such things ofc.

The Pro was £170 and the Elite is £190 (shop around) with twice the HDD space and a couple of free games - not exactly a ripoff...

The only 'bad news' here is the Arcade price - and given that it's still cheaper than a Wii - and £90 cheaper than the PS3's RRP - I'm not sure MS will care much.

There can't be many people left to convert anyway - this Christmas's console sales will more than likely be mostly to people who either already have 'the other console' or simply someone replacing/buying another for the kids etc.

Because they did drop the price of the Elite - it's fair game.

If we're going to make them include all the news (good and bad) in ever PR - can we apply the same rules to the Govt too - that would rock.

Free online gaming

Wireless

Rechargable pad

Blu-ray

Optical out

But like I said two pages ago, by that logic, the Xbox would have smashed the PS2 last gen once it was cheaper. The PS2 ended up the most expensive console and was the least impressive technically. But it didn't really matter because once you get a few years into a generation, things don't usually swing around suddenly and the consoles start selling to people who just buy based on brand perception or what their friends own. I'd be amazed if the vast majority of people going to buy a console 3-4 years into a generation sit there making a checklist of what has wireless and what has optical out. People on forums like this always overestimate the importance of these things. The DS looks bad value next to the PSP, the Wii looks bad value next to the 360 etc etc.

There can't be many people left to convert anyway - this Christmas's console sales will more than likely be mostly to people who either already have 'the other console' or simply someone replacing/buying another for the kids etc.

On the contrary, sales of Xbox 360, PS3 and even Wii are still nowhere near PS1 or PS2. There's still alot of people left to sell to - particularly if one is to believe Nintendo have expanded the market. There should now be even more people to sell to than before.

For the serious gamer 360 will always come out on top - best online service, best versions of multiformat titles, better supported DLC... but even for them the PS3 must now be very tempting; a price cut, redesign and the opportunity to play the exclusive titles they've so far missed out on. For them it was always a case of when rather if to buy a PS3.

But for the general consumer looking for an all around entertainment unit the PS3 offers much better value for money.