Xbox 360 price cut confirmed for August 28 - Update & PR pg 4.

The Sarge

But like I said two pages ago, by that logic, the Xbox would have smashed the PS2 last gen once it was cheaper.

PS2 was already way ahead sales wise for Xbox to ever catch up. This generation they're a bit closer, but of course both totally trounced by Wii.

You must have read my mind as I was just gonna post the very same thing. If you're new to the market then the software catalogue is incredibly similar yet the PS3 has the upcoming GT which is always very popular. Comparing them side by side now and the PS3 really does come out on top pound for pound:-

Free online gaming

Wireless

Rechargable pad

Blu-ray

Optical out

The Pro was a great deal, especially cos it was HD out of the box (ok component but better than composite by a mile).

How on earth MS think they can release a press statement to confirm their price 'drop' is beyond me.

Optical out?

Edit- ah yeah it's not built into the shitty composite cables which is whats packed in now

This is just bollocks. A price INCREASE is plain suicide. The new PS3 with blue ray seems incredibly appealing and I'm sure that (for the first time) the Ps3 will beat the shit out of the 360 in terms of console sales this Xmas.

December: Parent walks into shop, sees Xbox360 £159, PS3 £249.

Parent buys Xbox360.

Or Wii.

360 Elite + FNR4 + RE5 + Extra Pad = £200.

PS3 Slim = £250. FNR4 = £25. RE5 = £25. Extra Pad = £35. Total cost = £335.

And there are people in this topic who seem to think that somehow the PS3 is by far the better value proposition...it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And there are people in this topic who seem to think that somehow the PS3 is by far the better value proposition...it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

you forgot to add £150 for a blu-ray player in the 360 pack.

a sony fanboy will be along shortly to correct your post :eyebrows:

Hmm, that's a retailer offer though isn't it? No reason similar offers won't appear in the future for PS3 too, once the hype surrounding the relaunch has subsided a bit.

edit. also, whether you think the PS3 is better value for money really depends on how you're looking at it :-

Elite + battery charger + wireless adaptor + Gold subs + Blu-ray player = ???

These bundles are very good (particularly Play) but it still seems like stupidity on MS' part to put the price of their entry level machine up, remove the Premium (which was very competitive price / feature wise) and all coincided with a price drop / relaunched PS3.

Hmm, that's a retailer offer though isn't it? No reason similar offers won't appear in the future for PS3 too, once the hype surrounding the relaunch has subsided a bit.

edit. also, whether you think the PS3 is better value for money really depends on how you're looking at it :-

Elite + battery charger + wireless adaptor + Gold subs + Blu-ray player = ???

Even Game are doing an Elite with a choice of two games for £200, looks like its going to be pretty much the standard. I doubt it'll be the same for the Slim.

As for what the PS3 might offer that the 360 doesn't, I think the point is that none of it is all that important to the vast majority of people out there, the price for the box and the stuff you get with it that you can play on it, is what matters to the majority I'd suggest.

As a slight aside, the argument that wireless adds something to the value of the PS3 is something I've never really got on with. In the vast majority of cases, you are far better off going to the trouble of wiring up your console than using wireless, its not all that big a job (even if you have to wire through walls) and it gives clear benefits. Anyway...

And there are people in this topic who seem to think that somehow the PS3 is by far the better value proposition...it doesn't make any sense whatsoever

If that's directed at me, I couldn't care less which is better value (if I want something and I have the money it doesn't bother me if one is more or less expensive than the other) and that isn't the reason you tripped off another irony bomb, now is it?

As for what the PS3 might offer that the 360 doesn't, I think the point is that none of it is all that important to the vast majority of people out there, the price for the box and the stuff you get with it that you can play on it, is what matters to the majority I'd suggest.

Yeah I totally agree but 'the vast majority of people' didn't by a 360 when it was £130, or £170, so what will make them pay £160 or £200, now?

I don't think you can just ignore features like wireless or Blu-ray now either. Those are gonna be good arguments for people deciding why one of these machines is gonna sit in their living room.

I was about to post something very similar. How the fuck do they even compare? The 360 Elite bundles are stupidly good value. Why anyone is going on about the Arcade shit is beyond me. Who the fuck wants an Arcade?

Yeah I totally agree but 'the vast majority of people' didn't by a 360 when it was £130, or £170, so what will make them pay £160 or £200, now?

I don't think you can just ignore features like wireless or Blu-ray now either. Those are gonna be good arguments for people deciding why one of these machines is gonna sit in their living room.

Because the £200 offers better value with the current packs than the £170 did? Who knows.

I just think anyone who is choosing between a PS3 and a 360, unless they are either really interested in BluRay or a specific Playstation game, will look at those prices and see the 360 as by far the better value proposition.

And then a week in realise it's wank not having a hard drive.

Really depends why they're buying it. I always imagined the Arcade was aimed a families, younger kids, who don't really see the benefit of the HDD. It's also a great way for retailers to advertise it as the cheapest console on the market. Now that they've increased the price it doesn't have the same distinction.

I was about to post something very similar. How the fuck do they even compare? The 360 Elite bundles are stupidly good value. Why anyone is going on about the Arcade shit is beyond me. Who the fuck wants an Arcade?

Parents who want to spend as little as possible, people who have no interest in playing online, people who prefer white consoles.

edit: and what FOBT said.

Because the £200 offers better value with the current packs than the £170 did? Who knows..

I bought one for £170 with a few free games. To me an extra 60gb storage, and no HD cable, doesn't represent better value for money than the Pro.

I just think anyone who is choosing between a PS3 and a 360, unless they are either really interested in BluRay or a specific Playstation game, will look at those prices and see the 360 as by far the better value proposition.

Wait a minute... You're an undercover Microsoft PR rep aren't you? Nobody in the real world would ever use the phrase 'value proposition'.

:eyebrows:

Presumably it's a Forza 3 promotional pack for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 250GB HDD dropped down to the standard pack within 6 months.

Edit - I staggeringly misunderstood what that article was about, it's not actually the Forza bundle. Why not bump up the Pro pack, and bump up the Elite to include the Super Elite content?

It's weird because its literally the worse deal I could imagine.

You can get a normal elite, an extra controller, and a good game, and an HDMI cable, all for the standard RRP.

So this huge hike in price is for an added 120GB of HD space.

It is such appalling value.

Infact, its so bad, I think Microsoft are actually going out of their way to out-price the PS3. I think they've done some wierd customer research that has them convinced they can have the most expensive console - with the assoications of cutting edge HD quality - and the cheapest, all at once.

Either that or they're so panicked at the dismal profits of this gen that they are doing anything at all to just suck money from cretins and start again with natal.

I think we need to step-back a bit here...

The HDD-free 360 just went-up in price £30ish - less than the cost of a game, basically - they say it's due to exchange rates and the way they are it IS expensive to sell things in the UK atm (hence the Wii price went up too - and the PS3 isn't as much cheaper than it's older modem than previous PS upgrades have been either).

The HDD-equipped 360 went-up in price £30 too - however it's softened by getting an extra 60Gb of HDD and (from most retailers) some freebie games

360 Arcade is still the cheapest console by £30 (and that's against a machine it isn't really competiting directly with)

Arcades are still available at the old price or better right now if you're really, really keen to get in there.

So, overall, no-one died.

This Christmas is probably going to be a PS3 one but only because the last few have been Wii/360 ones and everyone gets a turn sooner-or-later. The PS3 is still behind in sales, still more expensive to buy as a games console and still needs more decent games (all IMO + most other people's 'O') and I'm not sure making it matte and losing the font was enough to change that.

The world keeps turning regardless...

Right then.

I've been sat with my PS3 for the past month. It's alright. I have niggles (sounds like racism LOL), but they've been bearable: less-than-excellent store, not enough demos/arcade content. Compulsory game installations. I mean, it's had good things too. Upgradeable HDD... erm... Seriously, I mean to list more here. Oh, online store in real money. No premium online "gold" cost.

But the worst thing? The PS3's cosmetic stylings. Fingerprinteriffic already, it's amazingly fragile - I put it in the box while decorating, and it got covered in light, thick, neatly-arranged surface-scuffs. FROM TOUCHING CARDBOARD. I still dealt with it, but today? I stand it on my (thick, soft) carpet to dust, and when I put it back up I thought I saw a hair on it. Wrong - somehow, it was a little white SCRATCH. ;)

Why does this bother me more than the other stuff? Well... it doesn't, it's just the last straw. Because of that little scratch and those scuffs it feels less like a "Cell-powered cutting edge supercomputer" and more like a cheap-shit Playstation because of it. Add to that the cosmetically more robust (I think) Slim out on the market that will be there for me further down the line, and I've finally decided to trade my PS3 for an Elite.

I always wanted an Elite. I bought one for my Bro once. The black finish, superior store, wider selection of games (After having rented Infamous and Prototype and bought Resistance, LBP and UFC I'm at a loss for what to buy, not caring enough about Metal Gear 4 or Call of Duty). The main problem was that it was too expensive at the time, so now with the price drop, my PS3, three games and £20 will get me an Elite and Batman.

Yes. :)