Are mainstream films becoming too violent?

I'd say yes, although I've not seen IB yet.

The film that surprised me most in the past few years, don't think it was a watershed or anything but was a shocker for me was the final fight scene in Spiderman. I didn't mind it as a piece of film making, in fact I thought it was well directed and gritty, but knowing that this is going to be watched and re-watched by youngish kids made me think that it was misjudged in terms of tone.

Ditto Watchmen, although that said there was A LOT in that film that ruined it, not just the lack of subtlety in the fight scenes.

TBH if a film is for adults with adult themes I'd rather the violence packed punch rather than contained no feel or interest (Devil's Backbone/Pan's for example) but if something has more of a family slant I'd rather it were aimed with the younger audience in mind rather than the older. Making kids adult before their time doesn't seem to be working all that well all told.

Spider-man is a 12 though. There's nothing in it that isnt suitable for someone of that age. Most kids will have watched far worse and I strongly disagree that exposure to mild violence in a 12a superhero movie (or similar) will in any way force kids to become adult before their time.

Whether it's likely to be seen by kids younger than 12 is a different issue (again, I don't believe it will do them any harm) but the BBFC are a classification & guidance body these days more than a censor. Certainly for mainstream stuff that's the case. The responsibility for exposing younger kids to these things relies with the accompanying adult as they say. That's a good thing in my opinion.

There was a cracker of an article in the Daily Mail about a month or so back around the time of the release of Antichrist. Typical 'won't somebody think of the children' fair. When I was a kid, I used to love horror films - Chuckie, Freddy Krueger and the like. At the end of the day though, these types of films are essentially kids films - they've got larger than life comic book characters, they're silly, they're funny and they're gory. I can't think of anything I'd rather watch as a 10 year old. But (and I think this is key), my wee brain couldn't really determine the difference between someone being slashed up by Jason, and Steve Martin being chopped up and fed to Audrey 2. Two very different levels of gore there, but I didn't see any difference. It was all funny, silly comic book horror to me.

Sit the ten-year-old me down in front of Antichrist? I'd be bored out my tits before that baby hit the snow.

EDIT: For what it's worth though, I do agree that they shouldn't have been showing a trailer for Resident Evil alongside a kids film. Although I've never seen that happen, and I do believe that it won't do anyone any harm, it's not morally right to be marketing it at that age. Parents should make the call on whether their kids are exposed to that sort of thing I think.

For what it's worth, I reckon the trailer was probably rated PG or whatever and that's how it slipped by.

Japanese films are far worse. I started watching Grotesque the other night, but only got as far as the first few minutes.

Culturally, they're a strange bunch. Hello Kitty, watch as I feed a prisoner a bowl of puke. And then suspend a guy with hooks and torture him with boiling oil, and then play some Mario Galaxy.

The 'baseball bat' scene in IB is odd, as while the Bear Jew is clearly one of the 'goodies', killing a baddy, and all the other goodies cheer when he does so, the Nazi officer is delibrately depicted as being brave and even noble. So I'm not sure if Tarantino knew what he was trying to do in that scene.

I think Tarantino knows exactly what he's doing in that scene.

Usually in WWII movies, noble enemy officers are allowed an honourable death (that's why you get all the slow motion and heartrending Moriconni strings as he's getting ready to die), but this is Tarantino messing about with the genre, so instead he ends up writhing around on the ground pathetically while someone beats him about the head with a baseball bat.

Are mainstream films becoming too violent? It might be more common now, but it's not like it was never there - Jaws had a PG rating, whilst having one of the most gruesome scenes in cinema.

Sorry? Compared to what exactly? Other gruesome scenes? Star Wars was a U, but had some pretty gruesome scenes, Bambi, which was also a U, had some seriously distressing scenes if you're a child.

Pinnochio, Sinbad and the eye of the tiger, all super gruesome for a child. Damn, Fantasia is a U, but contains some gruesome satanic stuff.

i think a lot of tarantino's stuff is very violent but the enormous amounts of build up he uses to it really accentuates it and makes it more shocking. i thought ib was great because a lot of it was really good tense drama, and i think the violence needs to be there to go with that in a way, although perhaps they do show a bit too much.

i loved death proof because theres very little violence in it except for the two endings to the two stories, that are then incredibly shocking after the long build up and because they are so short and intense. but its mostly a very stylish and fairly tense drama.

as long as its an 18 i think its ok, but there is definitely too much filtering through to the big pg/12/15 movies

Sorry? Compared to what exactly? Other gruesome scenes? Star Wars was a U, but had some pretty gruesome scenes, Bambi, which was also a U, had some seriously distressing scenes if you're a child.

Pinnochio, Sinbad and the eye of the tiger, all super gruesome for a child. Damn, Fantasia is a U, but contains some gruesome satanic stuff.

'Distressing' is the end result, I'm talking specifically about the 'Quint getting chomped' scene, which is high in the gore stakes. None of those films have anything to do with this.