IGNORED

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series (SoC/CS/CoP)

BrerLappin

If you get SoC, get Stalker Complete 2009 (is there a 2010 yet?). Superb mod.

I need to get back to Stalker, last thing I recall is running in the dark from military base with my torch off for safety and realising I was lost, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by howling... :rolleyes:

First area spoilerz:

Anyone know how to get into the locked crate on the bridge? It supposedly contains a poison gas canister I need to use to kill the bloodsuckers in the antenna station. Says I need two keys to open it. Took me ages to work my around the bridge anomalies too!

First area spoilerz:

Anyone know how to get into the locked crate on the bridge? It supposedly contains a poison gas canister I need to use to kill the bloodsuckers in the antenna station. Says I need two keys to open it. Took me ages to work my around the bridge anomalies too!

The keys are with the cars that were in the convoy. Don't go checking the entire map. Check the entire bridge area. If you want more specific clues then I can provide them.

I never got around to playing the first Stalker because my old PC was never able to run it properly. Now that I have a new PC I can finally play Stalker but because of that Steam offer I couldn't refuse (get Pripyat for next to nothing if you already own Stalker: SoC) I'm now playing Pripyat instead. It seems to do a much better job of conveying an open explorable world (the areas in SoC were a wee bit too small for that imo) and it generally plays better.

After finishing Cryostasis (Ukrainian games FTW!!!) I wanted more of the same originality and unique atmosphere that the better Eastern European games seem to do so well. So far, so good. I love how you're just dropped at the edge of the first area with a single assignment to investigate and some token equipment. Reminded me of Morrowind and it's "you're on your own now - good luck" attitude that Fallout 3 and especially Oblivion were sadly missing. I'm slowly getting the hang of how things work, and I do mean slowly. I found out that I have a personal locker after only 4 hours of playing the game! ;)

I love the bleak and oppressive atmosphere, making your way back to home base, slightly overburdened with all kinds of shit you looted, in the middle of the night during a thunderstorm with all kinds of weird animal/mutant noises all around you is quite an experience in this game. I also love the aforementioned freedom and lack of hand-holding, discovering things for yourself feels very rewarding.

Just got this yesterday. As a massive fan of shadow of chernobyl (possibly one of my favouritve games of all time), i was a little disappointed initially. I only got to play for about 30 minutes, so not enough time to form a valid opinion, so ill stick with it. I didnt like how after the intro, without so much as a fade-in youre dumped into the game. I had to check i hadnt accidentally skipped the proper intro or something. I was like "is that it?!". Even clear sky had a better intro, where you wake up in the clear sky camp after an emission. Graphically, i had been playing SOC with the stalker complete mod just before i played COP, and i thought modded soc actually looked better. And for the love of fuck, why did they put head bob in this game too?? Its so nauseating, it was one of the first things i modded out of Clear sky when i got that. Its horriffic. Also disappointed they didnt bring back the "holding the weapon across your chest while running" effect from soc instead of the weapon sway that happens in Clear Sky. Weapon sway looks shit. Still, its early days, ill persever, and look for a head bob removal mod..

Reading a post like that makes me look forward even more to playing the first Stalker properly asap ;) I did say above that I basically prefer everything about Pripyat, especially the fact that you're dropped off somewhere without any epxlanation and are free to go and do whatever, but keep in mind that I only ever played an unmodded version Stalker: SoC with all the settings turned waaaaaaay down to be even remotely playable on my old PC. Since getting my current PC I installed a mod for SoC but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet (too many games!) but I checked just now and it's apparently the Stalker Complete 2009 mod, the same you mention. I take it that's all I need to make the first Stalker game into something really special?

Reading a post like that makes me look forward even more to playing the first Stalker properly asap ;) I did say above that I basically prefer everything about Pripyat, especially the fact that you're dropped off somewhere without any epxlanation and are free to go and do whatever, but keep in mind that I only ever played an unmodded version Stalker: SoC with all the settings turned waaaaaaay down to be even remotely playable on my old PC. Since getting my current PC I installed a mod for SoC but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet (too many games!) but I checked just now and it's apparently the Stalker Complete 2009 mod, the same you mention. I take it that's all I need to make the first Stalker game into something really special?

Yep indeed :doh:

Stalker complete is AMAZING looking. Honestly i think form what i saw of COP's opening area last night, stalker complete looks easily better than COP's graphics. And honestly i find it hard to believe cop will be a better game than soc. Soc is the perfect stalker experience for me, none of the comedy like CS had, jsut all the oppessive atmospherics and eastern european post soviet depression! Hell it was the game that rpetty much convinced me to go to pripyat :lol:

Roadside Picnic ;)

Ah, that's it. I had "road" in my mind, so I bought The Road. Good read anyway, but not what I was after. Thanks.

Edit: Roadside Picnic description - "Red Schuhart is a stalker, one of those strange misfits who are compelled by some unknown force to venture illegally into the Zone and, in spite of the extreme danger, collect the mysterious artefacts that the alien visitors left scattered around. His life is dominated by the Zone and the thriving black market in the alien products. Even the nature of his daughter has been determined by the Zone. And it is for her that Red makes his last, tragic foray into the hazardous and hostile depths."

Started SoC today. For comparison purposes I loaded a new game and had a wander around the starting area before restarting with Stalker Complete 09 installed. It really does look great- the textures in particular stood out as being massively improved. Only had time to do the first mission but I can't wait to have a proper session- seems right up my street.

Roadside Picnic :lol:

Read this a few months ago, great book. The film is pretty cool but a total headfuck. At 3hrs with minimal dialogue, it seriously drags but it's dripping in atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying this now.

I'm actually artifact hunting this time around, something I totally ignored in SOC and wasn't interested enough in in Clear Sky. The starting area in this game is so well made next to the awful swamps from CS that it's like night and day; deep fissures in the earth which house an underground cave system, full of valuable artifacts and mutants, giant anomalies which fill entire patches of the map, a semi-interesting plot and side-quests more developed than 'go here and get 20 pseudodog tails'. The place feels alive and very forboding, something I feared GSC had lost after the juvenile scares of CS, but they've got it back here and I would go as far as saying this was on par with the original, better in quite a few places.

I love the strict weight limit which is forcing me to think about my loadout on every expedition, balancing combat capability with room for pilfered loot, and that people are using patches or tweaking the ini to up it is just totally baffling to me.

But ( ah, you know what this is ) the engine is still total crap. They've improved it, certainly, but it seems the X-Ray engine is so broken at its core that they can only do so much, it looks stunning in places but far, far too often it stutters during firefights and leaves you seething as you wonder how something often so rough can be taking such a toll. I was glad to hear that Stalker 2 was getting a new engine as it is badly needed, though I might also suggest that GSC get some outside help on creating it.

I've just reached the second area, to me it's just SoC with the roughness stripped away. I love it like some wonderful Uncle in a Children's book. But if ONLY there was an option to switch the chatter to 100% Russianish and have subtitles. That's the only hurdle to me awarding it first prize in the 'the greatest ukrainian science fiction rpg/shooter hybrid ever made' category.

Was really really enjoying this until I reached Pripyat.. the first two thirds of the game were fantastic, it felt like the definitive version of Stalker. Totally open ended, interesting missions, freedom to explore and lovely atmospheric environments. Then as soon as I hit Pripyat the good old Stalker bugs reappeared (and yep I did persevere and complete the first game).. currently bugs include being unable to access my Pripyat stash without the game crashing and there is a mission briefing I cant accept without the game hanging.

Im actually finding Im battling more to get the game actually working properly than against the games enemies. Real shame as its left quite a bitter taste and I now just want to rush through and get the thing finished before it totally dies and decides to corrupt all my saves or something! Shame.

• 1 month later...

I recently picked up a DX11 card and wanted to give this a try. I could not for the life of me get it working, and it seems to freeze on loading/starting a game. I figured out if I delete my user settings the game then launches, but if I set it to DX11 again it will crash.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? It is utterly frustrating as I couldn't find any solution and the game is fully patched.

Was really really enjoying this until I reached Pripyat.. the first two thirds of the game were fantastic, it felt like the definitive version of Stalker. Totally open ended, interesting missions, freedom to explore and lovely atmospheric environments. Then as soon as I hit Pripyat the good old Stalker bugs reappeared (and yep I did persevere and complete the first game).. currently bugs include being unable to access my Pripyat stash without the game crashing and there is a mission briefing I cant accept without the game hanging.

Im actually finding Im battling more to get the game actually working properly than against the games enemies. Real shame as its left quite a bitter taste and I now just want to rush through and get the thing finished before it totally dies and decides to corrupt all my saves or something! Shame.

Thats odd, ive spent well over 20 hours in COP, and the last 5 - 10 id say were all in pripyat, and i havent had one single crash/glitch. In facrt i finished it on Sunday, and started freeplay last night, not a single bug to be found. Not saying there arent any, as youve obviously found a few, but its easily the most stable STALKER game ive played.

I have to say, COP is possibly my favourite in the series too. Sure, the story isnt up to much at all (the endings of SHOC were much, much better), but overall it has absolutely perfect atmosphere, the missions were more varied, it looks gorgeous and kept me engrossed for the whole time. I went back to SHOC with the complete mod last night and for the first time ever thought it looked quite dated in comparison to COP.

I recently picked up a DX11 card and wanted to give this a try. I could not for the life of me get it working, and it seems to freeze on loading/starting a game. I figured out if I delete my user settings the game then launches, but if I set it to DX11 again it will crash.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? It is utterly frustrating as I couldn't find any solution and the game is fully patched.

I need to load from a save file as it kills my rig when it kicks into the first intro movie. Proper kills it, need to do a full cmos reset and unplug at the wall for an hour, crossfire setup just shows 3 red lights on both cards and won't post otherwise. Also get a crash to desktop if I use the main menu for more than a few minutes. I'll try reinstalling it from the .exe file on the disc rather than the onscreen prompt as I've had similar problems with the previous 2 games.

• 4 months later...

Who else bought this on the Steam sale? I'm loving it. It runs at max everything on a 5870, looks great etc. But more importantly, it's really enjoyable! They've 'fixed' all kinds of stuff, streamlined it, nipped and tucked here and there, it makes more sense and goes wonky a lot less. I'm enjoying exploring the terrifying and bewildering environment much more, due to the fact that the 'game' element makes more sense - the buying and selling, the upgrading/repairs, the mission structures, the hub locations. It still has the exploration, the atmosphere, the excitement and the fear, but less of the 'wtf, I'm dead?' that plagued the first Stalker.

Who else bought this on the Steam sale? I'm loving it. It runs at max everything on a 5870, looks great etc. But more importantly, it's really enjoyable! They've 'fixed' all kinds of stuff, streamlined it, nipped and tucked here and there, it makes more sense and goes wonky a lot less. I'm enjoying exploring the terrifying and bewildering environment much more, due to the fact that the 'game' element makes more sense - the buying and selling, the upgrading/repairs, the mission structures, the hub locations. It still has the exploration, the atmosphere, the excitement and the fear, but less of the 'wtf, I'm dead?' that plagued the first Stalker.

I didnt get it in the steam sale, but i could talka bout stalker all day long so here i am :lol:

The main aspect i found tob e totally improved in cop are the missions themselves, as much as i love SOC, its missions are fairly bog standard fetch and carry style, but CoP really improves on them. I wont spoil anything in case you havent done it yet, but theres a mission involving a bloodsucker lair that had me absolutely bricking it freakedoutkv5.gif

and a couple of videos i made thrown in for good measure (nothing spoilery). Running a few mods here, atmosfear, improved audio, and some weapon mods

(watch in 480p for best quality)

Right hopefully tonight steam support will have got me my account back and I've got new pc bits and ooooooh I want to play some Stalker.

What should I buy? Which mods should I get? Etc. :) thanks.

What game are you playing? SoC, or CoP?

For SoC you only really need the stalker complete 2009 mod:

http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html

For CoP the above Atmosfear 2 mod should see you right. Maybe hit up stalker.filefront.com and see if you can find a nice accuracy mod, youll also need this head bo removal mod

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Headbob_FIX;105895