IGNORED

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series (SoC/CS/CoP)

BrerLappin

Right hopefully tonight steam support will have got me my account back and I've got new pc bits and ooooooh I want to play some Stalker.

What should I buy? Which mods should I get? Etc. :) thanks.

I'm tempted to recommend jumping straight to COP as it's by far the most approachable and enjoyable, or it has been for me. Starting with SOC is fine (and you won't spoil it for yourself by jumping straight to part 3) but just know they iron out the kinks with each expansion. Stalker Complete effectively fixes a lot of this, anyway. :)

Yeah I've played a very tiny tiny amount of the first one round a mate's house a year or so ago, so I'm gonna start there methinks! :D My first night of Pc 'gaming' in a while has gone much as I've expected. Installing zzzzzzzzz, thanks to my gf turning off the router at the wall during the day!! NNnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhhh! :angry:

Oh maaaan Stalker :wub: installed that Complete 2009 thing and am running at ultra max super duper settings and it's silky 60fps amaze Russian adventures. This mod is ace as well, the sunsets in particular now look awesome! Woooo :)

Oh maaaan Stalker :wub: installed that Complete 2009 thing and am running at ultra max super duper settings and it's silky 60fps amaze Russian adventures. This mod is ace as well, the sunsets in particular now look awesome! Woooo :)

Yeah its a great mod, it makes SoC almost comprable to CoP graphically!

Now GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

So I do my PC gaming on a big old HDTV, but when I load up STALKER I just get the TV throwing up a blue screen about an unsupported resolution, and because I can't see the menus I can't change the resolution. Is there any way to set this stuff from outside the executable?

Steam version? you could try and set launch options to get it to boot in a supported resolution, or you could go into the user.ltx file and set the resolution in that

I know there's a proper STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl thread, but I'm just gonna be lazy and post here :)

WHAT A GAME :wub: I don't have time to write a massive post about my adventures, but by golly if it isn't the most atmospheric little piece of game I've played in ages! Best storms evar! Makes Fallout's world seem so empty and devoid of detail. And the enemies are super scary - I dunno wtf that thing was that started melting my brain but I liked it (and gunned the fucker down for good measure) :D

a few things though - what is the point of the bolts that I can throw (slot 6)? The trader guy said something about them, but I think it happened a the wrong time (i was looting a building in the first camp at the time). Can they help me get past the anomalies? And how the fuck was I meant to get back through that tunnel with all the electric stuff?

Other than that, epic adventures though. :) can't wait for me next session. Might camp til morning though, the night seems to go on forever!! :( one las question; can I use the stashes I find to store my own stuff? I'm constantly overloaded with items!!

Heh, I actually bought it because of your recommendation ages ago. I played about 6 hours or so and then a bunch of other stuff came up and didn't go back to it. I felt the same way though, extremely atmospheric. The only thing I didn't like was that the enemies seemed to soak up too many hits.

I know there's a proper STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl thread, but I'm just gonna be lazy and post here :)

WHAT A GAME :wub: I don't have time to write a massive post about my adventures, but by golly if it isn't the most atmospheric little piece of game I've played in ages! Best storms evar! Makes Fallout's world seem so empty and devoid of detail. And the enemies are super scary - I dunno wtf that thing was that started melting my brain but I liked it (and gunned the fucker down for good measure) :D

a few things though - what is the point of the bolts that I can throw (slot 6)? The trader guy said something about them, but I think it happened a the wrong time (i was looting a building in the first camp at the time). Can they help me get past the anomalies? And how the fuck was I meant to get back through that tunnel with all the electric stuff?

Other than that, epic adventures though. :) can't wait for me next session. Might camp til morning though, the night seems to go on forever!! :( one las question; can I use the stashes I find to store my own stuff? I'm constantly overloaded with items!!

use bolts to navigate your way around invisible anomalies, just throw a bolt ahead of you, and if nothing explodes, its safe to walk on :D

Theres a pattern to the electric stuff, just watch it for a few minutes and youll see it. you can go over the encampment if you dont want to do the electric tunnel but youll make the army there hostile to you permanently until you kill them all.

And how the fuck was I meant to get back through that tunnel with all the electric stuff?

one last question; can I use the stashes I find to store my own stuff? I'm constantly overloaded with items!!

If you follow the train tracks east of the bridge checkpoint (with the military at it) there's actually a break in the barbed wire fence you can cross without any trouble at all. It's not even radioactive (unlike most of the rail track) and saves faffing about with the electric tunnel or paying the soldiers.

You can put stuff in the stashes you find, yeah.

Invisible anomalies? Gulp. Don't think I've come across any of those yet, or maybe I had and just didn't realise! :D

as for the tunnel, I could see a pattern and watched it (which is how I got trough in the first place) but when coming back I just repeatedly failed it. :( ah well, instead I just ninja'd the checkpoint guys with my silenced pistol and looted their bodies :)

got to try and steal some military documents next, though I've already triggered all the enemies in that area when j came out of the sewers after mr brainmelt showed up... Here's hoping they e forgotten me by the time I get back! ^_^

What's really annoying is the first time I got there I snuck all the way in and got the docs without being spotted! Then I got busted onthe way out and died, so before trying again decided to go and kill mr brainmelt, after I'd done that my sewer exit was broken!! So I had to use a different one which resulted in me getting instaspotted. :( rubbish. But part of my adventre. I'm going to murder them all. :D

Invisible anomalies? Gulp. Don't think I've come across any of those yet, or maybe I had and just didn't realise! :D

as for the tunnel, I could see a pattern and watched it (which is how I got trough in the first place) but when coming back I just repeatedly failed it. :( ah well, instead I just ninja'd the checkpoint guys with my silenced pistol and looted their bodies :)

got to try and steal some military documents next, though I've already triggered all the enemies in that area when j came out of the sewers after mr brainmelt showed up... Here's hoping they e forgotten me by the time I get back! ^_^

There's a safe way past the checkpoint on the way back that doesn't involve going through the tunnel - you can use the abandoned trains up top to jump over the fences.

I never finished Stalker but the underground sections stick out as some of the scariest stuff I've seen in any game. The psychokinetic mutant in the sewers below Agroprom terrified me and I just ran like fuck away from it.

There's a safe way past the checkpoint on the way back that doesn't involve going through the tunnel - you can use the abandoned trains up top to jump over the fences.

I never finished Stalker but the underground sections stick out as some of the scariest stuff I've seen in any game. The psychokinetic mutant in the sewers below Agroprom terrified me and I just ran like fuck away from it.

Bloodsucker village freakedoutkv5.gif

What's really annoying is the first time I got there I snuck all the way in and got the docs without being spotted! Then I got busted onthe way out and died, so before trying again decided to go and kill mr brainmelt, after I'd done that my sewer exit was broken!! So I had to use a different one which resulted in me getting instaspotted. rubbish. But part of my adventre. I'm going to murder them all.

I got spotted by the army coming out of that sewer every time. I swear theres a sniper in the guard tower whos fucking psychic. He can spot you in the pitch black sneaking through a bush from 100 yards <_<

Just finished COP, the ending is rather abrupt, but I was glad there was no contrived final boss. Very, very good, looking forward to Stalker 2 immensely.

The ending, and the beginning are pretty abrupt :lol:

All i remember from the intro was watching a slideshow one minute and then all of a sudden i was playing the game! The end was like that in reverse

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just installed this. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to look like ass? :)

ssrob090910122507zaton.jpg vs ssrob082910223132l01esc.jpg

:lol:

So ugly compared to STALKER Complete 2009!! :D Is there any kind of graphics mod for it? What was that atmosfear thing people were mentioning?

Cool I can't wait! :D Haven't quite finished SoC yet though, but having just seen the start of this I'm not sure if I wanna just abandon it.. Inventory screen looks much cooler in this one! (to be fair I feel a little like SoC has petered out a bit where I cuurently am in the game - Pripyat is a bit too shooty)

Will see how I get on with Atmofear 2.1!

Yeah, my biggest gripe with soc was that pripyat was almost an afterthought. You get rushed through the most iconic area of the whole game and dont get a second to explore or enjoy the scenery. Sadly its all shooting right to the end too from pripyat. Pripyat in CoP is much, much better :D

But yeah, blowouts with atmosfear are fantastic. I think i posted it in the other thread but i recorded this in atmosfear 2

lol you troll :lol: the more people get to ay Stalker the better tbh! Is there much info on the sequel other than 'it's coming'?

And damn atmosfear looks great, however it runs like a dog on my pc :( even when I turned all the settings down!! I may just play on vanilla since I seem to have lovely framerate that way at least.

Nah, I agree with you really, I've said as much in other threads. All the same though, it's going to be quite funny. Do we really trust these guys to make something console friendly? Stalker has about 400 functions requiring separate keys, and none of them work properly.

lol you troll :lol: the more people get to ay Stalker the better tbh! Is there much info on the sequel other than 'it's coming'?

And damn atmosfear looks great, however it runs like a dog on my pc :( even when I turned all the settings down!! I may just play on vanilla since I seem to have lovely framerate that way at least.

check out stalker.filefront.com, im sure theres a few mods there that can help, even if atmosfear kills your rig, theres bound to be a mod or two to help improve the graphics a tad. And to get rid of the awful headbob. spaz-2.gif

Nah, I agree with you really, I've said as much in other threads. All the same though, it's going to be quite funny. Do we really trust these guys to make something console friendly? Stalker has about 400 functions requiring separate keys, and none of them work properly.

It'd be funny to see the MW2 kids trying to play it alright :lol:

Its a game youd either love or hate, and judging how most people recieved Metro 2033, im going to go out on a limb and say the majority of people would hate it, but getting more people to play it and more money for GSC is a good thing! Just as long as its not totally consolised