The Amstrad CPC464

sandman

On 10/01/2022 at 13:12, mash said:

Agreed. Renegade on the CPC was definitely the best brawler on the platform. Fantastic, colourful graphics, sounds and gameplay. I thought the control system was great and couldn't understand why more games didn't do this. Instead of mapping the arcade buttons to a single fire button use the keys in conjunction with the joystick. I suppose it would have been a pain if you wanted to sit far away from the computer but the screens were so small I don't think many people did. 

It was an amazing control system that really felt like you were playing an arcade game at home, although I was lucky to have a desk I could stick my joystick to with suckers.

41 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

It was an amazing control system that really felt like you were playing an arcade game at home, although I was lucky to have a desk I could stick my joystick to with suckers.

Ah yes that version of Renegade was amazing. I loved Contra as well, even though it didn't scroll like many of the other versions.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yeah, we had a desk which definitely helped.

Kudos to the developers though for sticking to their guns - I don't think the one-button stick would have done it as much justice.

7 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Yeah, we had a desk which definitely helped.

Kudos to the developers though for sticking to their guns - I don't think the one-button stick would have done it as much justice.

I take it that none of you guys played the Spectrum version then?

5 hours ago, strider said:

Ah yes that version of Renegade was amazing. I loved Contra as well, even though it didn't scroll like many of the other versions.

There's an Enterprise 128 version which is basically the CPC version with hardware scrolling. Alas I can't find a video. however here's Green Beret with the scrolling fixed.

https://youtu.be/Aiy_9Mz--5M

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Not of the original Renegade. Target Renegade yes (which I didn't like as much, either on Speccy or on CPC)

Give the Speccy 128k version a play. 1 button and it even includes the shoulder throw that was missing from the CPC version.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this party but I'll add my 464 waffle.

Full disclosure - I didn't really like the 8bit micro era. I got a 2600 in '82 and played the hell out of it for a couple of years or so and then sold it and the games to buy into the 8bit era. I had played Spectrum games but hated it and as I was into programming and fancied learning 6502 (which was the 2600's processor) I looked elsewhere. The C64 was beyond my budget so I went Oric-1.

I know.

I enjoyed it though. It had enough games to entertain me while I taught myself 6502 assembler and its version of BASIC was probably the best apart from the mighty Beeb. I created a few simple games like a Video Poker simulator etc on it. It died on me though :(

In 1986-7 I went for a 464- attracted by the screen and the built in tape drive. I could only afford the green screen version but I ended up getting a modulator for using the TV later on. I got a fair bit of enjoyment out of that machine. Mapped its excellent port of JSW2 on an A2 sheet and played a hell of a lot of Bombjack, Thrust 1 & 2, Leaderboard, Infiltrator,Gauntlet and Chuckie Egg. All of which got splendid ports. Cybernoid II was a splendid game as was Stormlord so I can't really complain too much. I also did some BASIC coding of poker games etc.

But ultimately I didn't enjoy the 8bit micro platform. There were just too many compromises. Compared to a console - even something as primitive as a 2600 - I missed the immediacy and raw speed of those old cart games - and lets face it - the advanced craftmanship of Atari's, Imagic's and Activision's seasoned coders. The micros were largely a solo affair too. Something like 4 player Warlords on that old 2600 had no close rival on 8bit micros. The only 3 games I'd go back to would be JSW, Chuckie Egg and Thrust which I consider 3 classics of any era.  8bit micros with tape loading (inc. multi-loads), dodgy difficulty curves and over ambitious attempts at projects well beyond the hardware's capabilities at the time almost put me off gaming for good. But the NES and SMS appeared in the early 90s just in time to draw me back in.

I have no desire to go back apart from watching the occasional YT video of some games that appeared impossible to play in the day - just to see something like Cauldron 1 or 2 being taken apart which is gratifying.  But I have been impressed by some modern homebrew efforts. The 464 was a fine computer for its day which shone when it got proper versions coded for it instead of lift-and-shift Spectrum ports.

• 1 month later...

Konami Games on the Amstrad CPC! 

Konami is famous for its arcade games, what's strange when it comes to the 8bits and in particular the Amstrad CPC, is that instead of using other software houses to convert their licensed games onto home computers. Konami sometimes produced its own conversions. I think the first was prison break for the humble Amstrad CPC.

https://youtu.be/H9_4ZP3JOQw

15 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

Which Konami games were actually converted to the CPC by themselves?  I thought it was UK softwares houses doing the job.

Konami set up a UK company to release conversions at some point - presumably they thought, "Ocean are making plenty of money from our games so why don't we cut out the middle man?" They released conversions of Nemesis, Salamander, Jail Break and Jackal. They don't appear to have used any in-house coders, instead outsourcing everything. The results were poor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2022 at 08:19, strider said:

I miss my CPC (it was thrown in a skip). Would love to get a colour monitor version but I bet they are quite expensive now.

I remember my mate had a cpc colour monitor and the TV adapter. We used to plug the snes into TV adapter , the picture was amazing (even my 11 year old brain noticed). Or maybe it was just amazing compared to my shit TV!

• 5 months later...