IGNORED

Only Connect, BBC Four

merman

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 21:16, SeanR said:

I keep missing this. has it changed time or channel?

It moved from 8:00pm back to 7:30pm, then back to 8:00pm this week. But it’s still on BBC Two.

Klaxon! FOUR Only Connect Christmas specials this week, so it’s on Tuesday-Friday as well. Former teams return for new challenges.

Enjoying this mini-season of daily Only Connect episodes, but for this north vs south episode, I feel they’ve chosen pretty stereotypical teams to represent each one. The team from the north are like Victoria Wood characters and get all the questions wrong, and the south team are like what I imagine the QI production team are like. 

27 minutes ago, K said:

Enjoying this mini-season of daily Only Connect episodes, but for this north vs south episode, I feel they’ve chosen pretty stereotypical teams to represent each one. The team from the north are like Victoria Wood characters and get all the questions wrong, and the south team are like what I imagine the QI production team are like. 

Being both from the North and a big fan of Victoria Wood I can honestly say she's a much better writer than that. They were more like something from Little Britain.

They must have done well in a previous series though to get on this. To be fair to them, I got pretty much nothing on their wall round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nowadays this is usually the most watched show on BBC2, getting over 3 million viewers last week.

I’m only mentioning this as it amuses me it does so well. No-one would have commissioned it thinking it would be a ratings hit and it clearly costs barely anything to make.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/03/2021 at 10:49, pledge said:

On the second wall

Hide contents

I immediately said pick the 4 double capitals, it's probably AA Milne. Felt so pleased with myself (although mostly due to the first wall)

Yeah, I spotted that group pretty quickly. Two very challenging walls though - recent series have made an impressive job of scaling the difficulty as the teams make progress through the rounds.

• 3 months later...

That was a brilliant episode. Victoria posted on Twitter about the alternative answer to the Roman numerals question , and I think they were a little lenient on it. Yes, it’s an increase each time but you can clearly see the x10 progression.

The tricky thing in the question was spotting that it was Roman numerals, and then determining the pattern. If it was arabic numerals, it would be trivially easy. So I think it's fair enough they accepted the alternate answer, the guy had done the difficult bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I destroyed it this week. Got 10 of the 12 questions across the first two rounds on 2 or 3 clues. Spotted all 4 categories on the first wall, but less good on the second. And got most of the mssng vwls rnd ahead of that amazing captain on one of the teams, but only because we see them before the teams do. I should go on it, I’m certainly ugly enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. Got a few decent ones tonight. Poor vowels round though by my usual standards. If I know it I usually get it before the contestants buzz in, but tonight several slipped by (I got them before they said it, but still, it's the principle - it doesn't count as a point if I don't beat them to the buzzer...). Also a few I got nowhere near at all.

I'm always ludicrously proud of myself when I get a missing vowels answer before they've even put the clue up. Last night's was So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

For some reason my wife is never as impressed with this amazing feat as I am.