IGNORED

Only Connect, BBC Four

merman

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched last week's, and I rocked it. 24, and that's being a bit stingy. I'm normally shit at the Connecting Wall, but I got "necks", "things you crack" and "types of jug" all 4/4 before any of the teams even mentioned it.

Glad the Neuroscientists won, they were having a good laugh and the rugby lot looked like they just hated them for being young.

This is my favourite show on telly at the moment. Tuesday night in the peeveen household now regularly features a carefully observed half-hour ritual of good food, brain-stimulating quizzery, and warm lustful thoughts of Ms Coren ... heaven.

• 6 months later...

i finally got around to watching the show last night, and loved the format. I even spent ages on the website afterwards, completing the online versions.

It's daft to say that it's much harder than University Challenge though, since UC requires more arcane knowledge, and this is much more accesible to anyone with a bit of lateral thinking.

It shows what happens to all the useless, socially-crippled cunts who were once on UC, though. There's never any reaction to the lovely Victoria Coren's gags, and any that they throw out are painfully nerdy and unfunny. And the fat woman's comment about meeting her husband at a quiz being better than meeting in a bar in Ibiza? You and your inevitably-Lord-of-the-Rings-themed wedding can fuck off, love.

Oh, I'm glad it's back.

I properly tested myself this time - even paused it and gave myself two and a half minutes to do the connecting wall[/incrediblysad]. 33 points, far and away a personal best. Feels good man. I was, as Ms. Coren said, shouting at the screen with cricket nicknames, and I had a stunner on missing vowels. (I know they put in a short pause so that people at home can answer, but still I was proper lightningfast.)

And yeah, the hieroglyphs were awesome. Roll on the rest of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been watching this since the start of current series. It's fun to play along with the questions, but my god, everything else makes me wince. I find Victoria Coren (and most of the contestants, for that matter) rather irritating. Listening to her talk is like listening to the nasal-toned know-it-all girl from your A-Level Physics class. The way they only mention the university a contestant went to if it's in the Golden Triangle is, frankly, nothing but snobbery. Even the string quartet theme tune grates a little. I know it's BBC4, but if they could do away with the general smugness, it would be a much better programme.

Have been watching this since the start of current series. It's fun to play along with the questions, but my god, everything else makes me wince. I find Victoria Coren (and most of the contestants, for that matter) rather irritating. Listening to her talk is like listening to the nasal-toned know-it-all girl from your A-Level Physics class. The way they only mention the university a contestant went to if it's in the Golden Triangle is, frankly, nothing but snobbery. Even the string quartet theme tune grates a little. I know it's BBC4, but if they could do away with the general smugness, it would be a much better programme.

What do you think of Eggheads, over on BBC2?

Yes, it is smug and snobby. Because it really ought to be called "Dumb People, Fuck Off, We're Cleverer Than You. With Victoria Coren". I want my quiz shows to feature Egyptian hieroglyphs and let the great unwashed have Richard and Judy give them £1000 for being able to remember their own name.

Yes, it is smug and snobby. Because it really ought to be called "Dumb People, Fuck Off, We're Cleverer Than You. With Victoria Coren". I want my quiz shows to feature Egyptian hieroglyphs and let the great unwashed have Richard and Judy give them £1000 for being able to remember their own name.

Actual tea-snorting lol.

FAIL