IGNORED

Only Connect, BBC Four

merman

Technically speaking, it's the question setter/editor who is taunting us (hi David)

Thought the final got off to a slow start, but there were some great questions and two very difficult walls.

Yeah the walls were very tough. At one point it didn't look like they were going to get any of the connections on the 2nd wall.

That said, I did get one of the 1st round questions on the first clue. When Pripyat, Ukraine came up I knew it had to be ghost towns / abandoned places.

That said, I did get one of the 1st round questions on the first clue. When Pripyat, Ukraine came up I knew it had to be ghost towns / abandoned places.

Same here! Wife was very impressed until I mentioned videogames <_<

The wall was rock solid!

Same thing happened in our house. My brother floored me with the Pripyat 5-pointer until he explained about Call of Duty 4. Have to admit that wasn't intended.

And they got 7 out of the 8 wall connections when they were sorted into groups, so I hope they were firm but fair.

• 2 weeks later...

There's another special on next week, as Only Connect's series 1 champions the Crossworders take on last year's University Challenge team led by Alex Guttenplan.

Applications for this series close soon so please submit your completed form as soon as possible.

Fucking Epicureans. They really need to work out the balance - there are really too many points on the missing vowels round, which means that in high level contests like this, quality doesn't really show through.

Agreed.

And the Gamblers were a micro-second behind buzzing in most of the time too. I realise being fast is part of the round but yeah, they should skew the points slightly more to the previous rounds. The vowels round doesn't even make any sense in terms of the show's premise either :)

Yes it does. The four clues in each set are connected by a theme. You get told the theme, it's up to your brain to make the connections quick enough to guess what will come up. Then you can be as fast on the buzzer as the Epicureans.

Bear in mind that even with their mistakes they still outscored the Gamblers by 8 points in that round, makes them worthy winners in my mind.

I do think the final round is a bit loaded on points

Yep, as much as I like the missing vowels round (mainly cos I'm much better at it than the other rounds), it DOES stick out like a sore thumb. The fact that the answers share a connection is a bit flimsy ... most of the fun of the first three rounds comes from FINDING the connection.

The pub quiz I go to on Thursdays does a good "connections" round. You get five clues, and, bearing in mind that the answers are all connected, you have to find the connection and the only acceptable answers to the clues. For example, last nights puzzle was:

1) A famous racehorse.

2) A Formula One world champion.

3) A 90's TV comedy starring Edward Woodward.

4) The breed of dog that Greyfriars Bobby was.

5) The last person to have a UK number one hit in the 1960s.

Have a go. NO GOOGLING!

Monday 17th, 8:30pm - the Crossworders vs Emmanuel College. Yes, Only Connect takes on University Challenge and Alex Guttenplan.

Just watched it. Got the I Ching question and had a good go at the ridiculous missing vowels round, but that was about it. VC's cooing at the Uni Challenge captain was priceless, and I would pay to see a Total Wipeout-Only Connect crossover. It'd be like

but a hundred times better. Still too scared to apply though, I'd totally be found out on my limited pool of knowledge. I have nothing but respect for the massive sadists who go on it. :D

Also, I'll just leave this here: http://fuckyeahvictoriacoren.tumblr.com/ . Not my work.

Funnily enough, I said the same thing to my parents after we watched it. "Well, if they can cross boxing with chess..." and then mentioned the recent ITV gameshow with an obstacle course and questions.

Found a lot of those questions very tough, but did well on the Mssng Vwls round.

Michael was supposed to do it, but after his

well...

It doesn't seem like we'll be entering then. :(

Shame. I was kicking ass during the University Challenge special. In fact, if they had binned that useless Guttenplan character and put me on their team instead, the Crossworders would've been totally licked.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm VERY disappointed that nobody answered the connections puzzle I posted on the previous page. For anyone who had a go but didn't respond, the correct answers were:

1) Red Rum

2) Lewis Hamilton

3) Common As Muck

4) Skye Terrier

5) Rolf Harris

I won't insult your intelligence by pointing out the connection. :)

Victoria Coren was openly flirting with the head of that University Challenge team! Lucky bastard!

I thought they did pretty well all things considered.

Reading her blog, what started out as an attraction ended up as maternal feelings. She just wanted to mother him...

Reading her blog, what started out as an attraction ended up as maternal feelings. She just wanted to mother him...

She could mother me etc etc.

Was it on this week? I noticed when we watched it, it said episode 2/4, but this was the ep from the week before that we had sky plussed.