IGNORED

Only Connect, BBC Four

merman

The numbering is muddled due to a change in the order they were showing them. There are four specials (Children in Need, Champion of Champions, University Challenge v Only Connect) with the fourth due in the next couple of months...

• 1 month later...

Heads up for the Comic Relief celebrity special tonight at 8:30pm.

Only Connect Comic Relief Special

Monday 14 March

8:30pm - 9:00pm

BBC4

A Comic Relief special which, oddly, welcomes back five of the six guests who took part in the Children in Need show last year. The newcomer is Brian Sewell, who doesn't know much but does heckle snobbily throughout, providing most of the comedy. Not that the question-setters play it straight: there's a complete-the-sequence teaser beginning "1: 'Peter Gabriel' " (you'll titter if you know the answer), and tongue twisters as a category in the missing vowels round. Victoria Coren enforces the latter with some rigour. Of course you'll be cheering for RT's man on the scene, Stuart Maconie. Fear not, the guy's a quiz titan.

Radio Times reviewer - Jack Seale

VIDEO Plus+: 2795998

Subtitled, Widescreen

Whoop!

Also, I met my friend's friends from the Bloggers team in the pub the other week. Really nice chaps, I tried not to fawn but we had a chat about the show. Got a bit of goss about the other teams but be rude to post it here.

• 4 months later...

is it me, or is it getting easier? (see also: eggheads)

Eggheads is repeating episodes at the moment, so you probably know the answers from last time round...

Only Connect is not getting easier, but you now know how to approach SOLVING a question/connection, so that makes it easier.

Did pretty well on the Walls and anagrams.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but noticed that last year you were talking about forming a team for Only Connect - assuming there is another series. I don't know whether you managed it but I tried unsuccessfully to get a group together with friends for S5 so thought I’d try using the Web this time, having been inspired by the team of Social Networkers. Is anyone here still interested in getting a team together? - It's just that I watch the show every week and find myself consistently getting answers before the contestants.

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but noticed that last year you were talking about forming a team for Only Connect - assuming there is another series. I don't know whether you managed it but I tried unsuccessfully to get a group together with friends for S5 so thought I’d try using the Web this time, having been inspired by the team of Social Networkers. Is anyone here still interested in getting a team together? -

A few of us (myself included) were sorta-kinda up for it, but it never happened ... I think we left it in the hands of someone who lost interest.

I guess I'd still take a punt, partly for fun, partly for the challenge, but mainly to meet the lovely Ms Coren.

It's just that I watch the show every week and find myself consistently getting answers before the contestants.

The ringer has arrived!

and I had a stunner on missing vowels. (I know they put in a short pause so that people at home can answer, but still I was proper lightningfast.)

Post resurrection:

I was mortified to hear this, as it's the only round I'm ever any good at; so I just tweeted Ms Coren to ask if it's true.

"Of COURSE there isn't!" was her reply.

Unless she's just humouring us thickies...

I'm not bad on that round providing I know the subject - stuff like stage directions and that just baffle me.

I still regularly double my score on that round. I'm a bit of a whizz with anagrams and suchlike, so that round just plays right into my hands.

All this talk of entering made me go and do the last six connecting walls on the site ... 50% success rate. 2 completed, 2 half finished, and 2 absolutely nowhere, though I spotted some connections but couldn't find the right set of answers.

And I haven't watched this week's episode yet, so I'm not just cheating on the PlayAlong walls. :)

Just to add that I usually excel at the 'last in the sequence' round, though I'm not bad at the others either. Perhaps we'd complement each other really well. Just to add that after my friends let me down I tried to get on the last series as an individual, getting the majority of the answers right, I think (though they don't tell you) but they couldn't find me a team.

Last year the invites were emailed in November, I think. I've heard nothing about another series - (any input from David Bodycombe would be welcome.

It would be so good to meet the lovely Ms Coren.

She is flirty enough when she has replied to some of my tweets, I can not imagine how she would be in real life. :wub:

She has blanked my tweets. Clearly playing hard to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up that it's a celebrity special edition tonight:

QUIZ SHOW: Only Connect

On: BBC 4 (116)

Date: Monday 14th November 2011

Time: 20:30 to 21:00 (30 minutes long)

Children in Need Special: Great Believers v Free Speakers.

Victoria Coren hosts a special celebrity edition of the quiz where, as in life itself, knowledge will only take you so far and where patience and lateral thinking are also vital. In this Pudsey Special, two teams of clever celebrities prepare to lose their dignity in honour of Children in Need. The cunning wiles of the Great Believers 'Nick Hornby, Dame Joan Bakewell and John Lloyd' take on the combined brains of the Free Speakers (Ian Hislop, Simon Singh and John Sessions). So join Victoria if you want to know what connects Erte, Herge, Jeep and Esso.

(Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, 3 Star)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=8627

Copyright © GipsyMedia Limited.

(they're all names taken from the phonotic pronounciation of their initials)

Roman Tirtoff (RT = erte)

General Purpose (GP = jeep)

Standard Oil (SO = esso)

I don't know the herge one, which is bloody stupid of me...

[edit]

Oh,

herge's are reversed?

OK...

Edited by SeanR