Feeder

I have been a fan of Feeder for a couple of years now (ever since I heard a couple of their songs on GT3), and am quite simply amazed by the amount of quality songs they have written / produced. I think some bands would consider themselves lucky to have just a couple of top notch songs in their library, but for them to have so many is crazy. And yet, they are hardly known about but for a die hard group of fans which buy their cd's and go to their concerts. Other than the occasional play of Buck Rogers or Seven days in the Sun, when was the last time you heard one of their songs play on the radio? I think the most play their songs get commercially is on adverts and tv shows. It's usually by accident that someone stumbles across one of their songs on youtube, only to discover the rest of their library and become a fan. There are lots of people online who claim Feeder are one of the most underrated bands, but they never seem to ever make it to the next level of commercial success. Maybe it's either a lack of advertising, or getting in with the wrong label but I think that should change. To give you an example of the quality, here are just some of the tracks I can recommend:

Piece by Piece

Yesterday went too soon

Turn

*** Most people dismiss the following as they don't like how it starts, but keep listening ***

I'll call it quits there as I need to go to bed, but it gives you a good idea of what their music sounds like outside of the usual Buck Rogers, Seven Days in the Sun and Just a day tunes which people seem to know.

So, whos with me? Anyone else like Feeder :quote:

Their early stuff is brilliant, possibly one of the finest British bands of the nineties. One of the first bands I recall getting excited about the upcoming releases of, back in the days when you knew their new single was being played on the Steve Lamacq show and you had to listen to it for two hours to hear the song then record it on cassette.

Their drummer should have probably taken the other two with him though as since his death it's been shite after shite with one stonking single in there somewhere that I forget the name of.

Didn't their original drummer kill himself?

Anyway, I get quite nostalgic when I hear them and I've no idea why. I've never bought any of their records, and always considered them a bit naff. There's a kind of melancholy about them though that appears to run deeper than your average rock/indie band. Perhaps it's because their frontman is slightly more mature. Who knows?

I like several tracks from Swim a lot, but they abandoned that style when they did Yesterday Went Too Soon. Nothing wrong with that as such, but for me they became an ordinary band overnight.

W.I.T, Shade, Stereo World and their b-sides Chicken On a Bone and TV Me are all fantastic songs that I'm proud to own. I've always found Yesterday Went Too Soon onwards really bland after hearing that stuff. Each to their own though I guess B)

I agree with MO2J. I've got all their early stuff (including lots of signed stuff, Two Colours and Swim EP's, really rare promos etc) and I was a massive fan back in the day. They took a turn for the worse when Jon died, but that's more to do with my tastes I guess as plenty of people prefer the newer stuff.

I need to look at getting rid of all my rare stuff. It's probably worth a lot and doesn't hold any sentimental value for me.

The first i heard of them was on the gran turismo soundtrack around 98-99. I thought those songs were fantastic and on the strength of them bought yesterday went too soon. This was my face listening to that album = ;)

It was just so bloody boring. total radio friendly, mediocre shite, never listened to anything they did after that. you just know when feeder rock out, they turn their guitars all the way up to 7

The first i heard of them was on the gran turismo soundtrack around 98-99. I thought those songs were fantastic and on the strength of them bought yesterday went too soon. This was my face listening to that album = :facepalm:

It was just so bloody boring. total radio friendly, mediocre shite, never listened to anything they did after that. you just know when feeder rock out, they turn their guitars all the way up to 7

Why did you not get Swim or Polythene (the EP and album those songs featured on) if you liked those particular songs?

I like several tracks from Swim a lot, but they abandoned that style when they did Yesterday Went Too Soon. Nothing wrong with that as such, but for me they became an ordinary band overnight.

W.I.T, Shade, Stereo World and their b-sides Chicken On a Bone and TV Me are all fantastic songs that I'm proud to own. I've always found Yesterday Went Too Soon onwards really bland after hearing that stuff. Each to their own though I guess B)

100% spot on. Thank you, sir.

One of my best mates and fellow forum member is a feeder fan, he bought a new Cambridge Audio amp and broke it in with a feeder song - It was so awesome the amp burst into flames.

True Story.

Funny watching him go mental in the living room as his new setup was on fire.

I wonder if he'll post after reading this.

I used to go and see Feeder every time they toured as a kid, saw them 14 times. Stopped caring after Polythene. MO2J is entirely right about how they deteriorated.

Same here. Descend was immense live.

That reminds me, I used to run a fansite called feederonline.co.uk back in the day. Was really popular. I had my picture taken with Jon in Melody Maker once too.

One of my best mates and fellow forum member is a feeder fan, he bought a new Cambridge Audio amp and broke it in with a feeder song - It was so awesome the amp burst into flames.

True Story.

Funny watching him go mental in the living room as his new setup was on fire.

:hat::omg:

• 6 years later...

Best sounding Feeder song since forever. I'll be seeing them again.

I loved Grant's solo album last year, and he was amazing at Oran Mor in Glasgow, but I hope he's got it out his system and that Feeder can be more Universe of Life.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone pick up All Bright Electric today?

I'm really enjoying it. Feels like the style of Generation Freakshow mixed with the more chilled vibe from Grants solo stuff last year. Certainly a good relaxed listen. A few songs have the older Feeder feeling still in there, Divide the Minority is a bit good.