Rambo: Last Blood

SpaceJump

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

If this follows the populist politics of Stallones 80's movies, Rambo will be the mayor of a Trump voting town fighting to close down abortion clinics, blow up liberals and hunt down Hilary in the woods.

Which would be ironic, but also prescient, considering the plot of the first one.

"Rambo teams up with a journalist to track down and rescue a group of local girls that have been kidnapped by a Mexican sex trafficking ring, after trying to settle down to a quiet peaceful life stateside at the family ranch in Arizona after spending decades abroad."

The ending of First Blood was flubbed, they should've gone with the original ending. First Blood just needs to stand alone.

Rocky being followed by Rocky Balboa as a sequel was fitting -  the ridiculous OTT 80s sequels have their place ish but those two films just are really well done.

I haven't seen Creed as I assumed it was just going to ruin it.

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

Creed is a fantastic movie that does not in anyway tarnish the Rocky character.

It wasn't that I was concerned about tarnishing the character, it was late and I expressed myself poorly... The way Rocky and Rocky Balboa book ended each other was just perfect (whilst admitting that the latter is inferior to the original) and I haven't watched Creed as I don't think the story needs extending. I'll probably watch it at some stage but it is one of those few films that I am aware that I am avoiding.

But apologies for tangent, Ramboe should've started and finished with First Blood which was a superb film.

23 hours ago, Clipper said:

It wasn't that I was concerned about tarnishing the character, it was late and I expressed myself poorly... The way Rocky and Rocky Balboa book ended each other was just perfect (whilst admitting that the latter is inferior to the original) and I haven't watched Creed as I don't think the story needs extending. I'll probably watch it at some stage but it is one of those few films that I am aware that I am avoiding.

But apologies for tangent, Ramboe should've started and finished with First Blood which was a superb film.

You should definitely watch Creed - you won’t regret it. And I’m happy to test-watch Creed II for you next month and report back to let you know if you should go for that one too.

The Rambo sequels are all amazing though, even though they’re a far cry from First Blood. Plus I’ve got a feeling Rambo V might be just the Rambo you’re looking for.

Ok I'll give Creed a go.

And don't get me wrong I do love the rocky sequels that got ridiculous and the Rambo sequels that did similar.

It's almost like I think of them as two franchises in one

Rocky 1-4 - Boxer goes ridiculously OTT in 80s excess ending the cold war

vs

Rocky 1 to Balboa - A washed up fighter given a last paycheck who stuns everyone and also a fantastic character study therein.

I remember going to see Rocky Balboa vividly as it is one of those few times of going to cinema where you just get something you were not expecting at all. I recognise it isn't as good as the original but it is a fantastic piece of film making.

If Rambo V similarly bookends First Blood then that will be 2 franchises in one as well although tonally First Blood thru Rambo 2/3/4 is pretty jarring. We know Stallone has the balls to get it right when he is in the mood which is why I was so disappointed with Rambo 4 - he had just done Balboa and I thought he would do same with Rambo 4 but nope.

I don't think Balboa has a fraction of the weight you think it does without the emotional resonance of the previous sequels. It's an interesting character study with just the two films, for sure, but those stories about the glory he achieved add to the depth of Balboa if you take it at face value as a more realistic view of the character.

Creed is a continuation of that character study, though. Creed 2 could go either way given the characters it's using.

Rambo...yeaaaaah. I'm expecting nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I don't think Balboa has a fraction of the weight you think it does without the emotional resonance of the previous sequels. It's an interesting character study with just the two films, for sure, but those stories about the glory he achieved add to the depth of Balboa if you take it at face value as a more realistic view of the character.

Creed is a continuation of that character study, though. Creed 2 could go either way given the characters it's using.

Rambo...yeaaaaah. I'm expecting nonsense.

My memory may well be faulty but the glory stuff and references to those wins is mostly ROcky 1 and 2 , I don't recall much mention of Clubber LAng or Drago or Tommy or those periods, save for the death of mickey obviously.

2 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I didn't mean explicit references - I meant the viewers (and your) emotional attachment to the character having seen them. 

ah ok

speaking personally, obviously, I treat everything in 3,4,5 as barely connected to the same character - I do honestly think of it as two franchises. The ridiculous hero of 3 and 4 is just too unrealistic to add any sort of weight to the character.

But I do get your point and they may well have some subconscious impact.

• 4 months later...

They've set a US release date of 20 September.

When the daughter of one of his friends is kidnapped, Rambo (Stallone) — who has been working on a ranch — crosses the U.S.-Mexico border and quickly finds himself up against the full might of one of Mexico’s most violent cartels.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Somehow I've never seen a Rambo film. Should probably change that.

They’re great. A bit like Rocky, the first is the serious one and then they get more cartoonish. They don’t seem to be remembered with the same fondness as other action films of that period. Which is a shame as they’re action masterclasses. Short too, 90 odd minutes with no faff or filler.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

First Blood in particular, still holds up very well. I'm a big fan of the opening escape. 

Yes, First Blood is a classic. Still one of my favourite films, since first watching it as a kid.

The other 2 from that time I can take or leave though. They didn’t ruin my childhood or anything, but he felt like a totally different character in a completely different world and they were cheesy as fuck. I much preferred the realism of the original.

The fourth was ok I guess. A bit more grounded, but ultimately forgettable. And the cgi blood was shit.

I really hope this is a return to the original vision of the character, rather than the cartoon version we got for the sequels. It definitely looks that way.

Not that anyone has said this, but if you haven't seen Part 2 and III then you are missing out on some hugely entertaining cheese fests.  Plus you can watch the Hot Shots! movies afterwards and get all the references.

14 hours ago, JPL said:

Yes, First Blood is a classic. Still one of my favourite films, since first watching it as a kid.

The other 2 from that time I can take or leave though. They didn’t ruin my childhood or anything, but he felt like a totally different character in a completely different world and they were cheesy as fuck. I much preferred the realism of the original.

The fourth was ok I guess. A bit more grounded, but ultimately forgettable. And the cgi blood was shit.

I really hope this is a return to the original vision of the character, rather than the cartoon version we got for the sequels. It definitely looks that way.

By the sounds of it, Stallone is aiming for this to be like Balboa, a back to basics ending for the character.