GOTY (so far)

My games of the year are mostly DLC based (Wipeout HD Fury, PixelJunk Eden Encore, Flower, GTA: The Lost and the Damned, Fallout 3: Point Lookout) or those I hadn't played until this year (No More Heroes, World of Goo). Retail-wise I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 more than most (it had brilliant replay value) and what I've played of Batman Arkham Asylum so far has been incredibly well put together.

But if push came to shove for games released in 2009, my titles of the year would be between Wipeout Fury, Flower and The Lost and the Damned.

Its just really good. Its designed well (with the possible exception of a boss or two), the combat is great, the controls are great, its got some good tricks up its sleave, its extremely well paced, theres loads of stuff to find, its got a pretty good script with some great voice acting and its got a lot of great detail from the Batman universe.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'special'. As has been said it's very well designed, and so polished it's almost transparent, but at no point was I swelling with awe or an undefinable sense of wonder that would constitute it a 'special' game. You spend 8 hours walking round thinking to yourself 'heh, that was cool' every five minutes and then it's finished. It doesn't really do anything new, just lots of things that other games have done, but pulled off very, very efficiently.

I think Batman is definitely special, especially if you're a Batman fan because it really nails that feeling of being Batman.

I've put countless hours of play into it and it just doesn't get boring. Both the predator gameplay and combat are unlike anything I've ever played before and both work perfectly well. Lovely presentation as well.

It's my GotY and while I think Uncharted 2 might top it, it definitely deserves all the praise. If they can improve on it, the sequel will be something very impressive indeed.

Trials HD for me. I get in a zombie like state playing it - it's pure crack. Before you know it your hand has cramped into a claw and you're sweating from tensing and twisting your body in tune to the rider. Trying to break the 30 second barrier on Lets Get Physical is something I just can't put down. Out of all the games I have, who would believe that a cheap Live Arcade title would be so good...

Trials HD for me. I get in a zombie like state playing it - it's pure crack. Before you know it your hand has cramped into a claw and you're sweating from tensing and twisting your body in tune to the rider. Trying to break the 30 second barrier on Lets Get Physical is something I just can't put down. Out of all the games I have, who would believe that a cheap Live Arcade title would be so good...

Is that the Elastomania-style one? I've got that on Steam, think I probably play that more than any other game I own ;)

With Batman, although I haven't finished it yet (I'm back at the mansion hunting Poison Ivy having not long ago dealt with the titans), I wouldn't say its my game of the year. I'd rank batman along side Uncharted (also a game I've played this year) in that its great fun and a game with a lot of love heaped on it. Like Uncharted the combat does get a bit repetitive though, there are too many clues as to waht buttons to press, how to kill bosses and what to do next and, because of that, the game feels very linear.

I think with Batman, what you put into it ultimately influences what you get out of it. In Uncharted you basically have two options: shoot or punch.

In Batman you have many, many more.

I think it was Uzi in the Batman thread who said that he felt he failed if he was spotted during a predator fight or hit in combat. I tend to agree. A big part of the fun is laying waste to your opponents in a glorious, continuous combo without taking a hit or zipping around a room picking off your opponents with a variety of cool options. Everybody who played the challenge rooms (especially the extreme ones that don't allow you to use the gargoyle takedowns) know how much creativity there really is to the fights if you want it to be.

That it's accessible to casual gamers while still offering enough for more hardcore players is one of its biggest strengths.

I'd have to say Assault on Dark Athena. I hadn't played Escape from Butcher Bay so it was one of the best value purchases I've ever made at £20. Red Faction 3 gave me a lot of joy too.

Fallout 3 was still my most played and enjoyed game of the year even though I bought it at launch. Tetris and Minesweeper are the only other games I've put more time into. Having said that they never gave me anywhere near the amount of enjoyment as Fallout 3 has.

Seconded. I just can't put this game down. When I'm away from home, I just keep thinking of strategies on certain levels, I come back, boot it up, and within 30 minutes I'm beating my previous times. It just keeps rewarding, and Rock N Drop has to be one of the most exhilarating, fun levels ever created.

GOTY without a Shadow (pun intended) of a doubt.