Derren Brown : The Events Fridays 9pm

I just don't see what the angle is going to be if on Friday he reveals that to do the trick he used some elaborate, technical props. From reading some theories about his live show, quite a few of the stunts involve props, but that's one area (to my knowledge) that he hasn't been open about on his show, not specifically anyway. Not saying he should be, I just don't really see why it would be in his interest to change that with this show. Also, where does the misdirection come in? Two cameras, special ink or whatever else is just a pure trick.

That leftmost ball certainly moves. So either a static image was superimposed over the real scene to cover up the freshly-drawn balls being put into place (with someone not flattening the balls down in the tray properly), meaning that when the static image is removed there's a pixel or two of disparity between the scenes. or the balls themselves never left the screen but they expanded (for whatever reason) in their tray so that one of them was forced to rise up ever so slightly.

Interesting that they introduced a wide shot camera, but never used it.

If it was indeed a split screen camera trick, the far-away camera would have been necessary for setting up the shot. Notice the first camera is moving fully, following Derren to the stage, but when it switches to the far-shot and back again, the camera does not move. There is wobble, and zoom, but these can be done digitally (if the camera is hi-res). There is no camera movement from the moment it switches to the stage camera to the very end of the reveal. This would have been necessary to sell the illusion; you wouldn't be able to move the camera again without breaking the shot.

How has he manged to hypnotise you all to give a flying fuck?

This is what I'm going with now,

"The real trick was simply switching the balls, lol. The misdirection for this trick was creating the elaborate claim of predicting the lottery numbers... look at the buzz I created and had you all believing *quotes national headlines*"

I'm willing to guess something like that with how naff The System turned out to be.

There's an industrial technique with spray paint where you ionize the paint particles and they can then be manipulate to only stick to areas of the opposite charge.

That's how photocopiers work too. You charge the roller and discharge it with the light reflecting off the page, then it picks up suitably charged pigment. Laser printers are the same, except they use a laser instead of reflected light. Not how he's done it, though. There would be toner everywhere as soon as he touched the balls because it hadn't been fixed (by heat and/or pressure).

If it's a technical gag I'll eat my hat.

I think it's something a bit more 'meta' than simply being about the lottery numbers per se. Like the trick is not about them at all, but our reactions to them, or something. It's the most obvious thing in the world he didn't actually predict them first and once you realise that you end up with hundreds of ideas about how he got the numbers onto the balls. But that he did it that way is just too obvious for him.

Like the trick itself is the fact he's got us obsessing about how he did this obvious thing, when actually something else has been going on entirely. Like the trick is the distraction.

Like the trick itself is the fact he's got us obsessing about how he did this obvious thing, when actually something else has been going on entirely. Like the trick is the distraction.

What something else? All I can see is a trick about switching balls that are apparently in plain view. What distraction?

What something else? All I can see is a trick about switching balls that are apparently in plain view. What distraction?

Well, I don't know that! I'm just hoping on Friday it'll be all 'I got you talking for two days about how I've done this thing that was bloody obvious, just because of the fascination put onto the trick by it involving the lottery, while actually something else was going on right under your noses'

It probably won't be. But everyone saying this was too simple for him should perhaps wait until Friday, when we know the whole story. He's said this whole thing is about distraction. We're looking for the distraction that made us miss the ball swapping - but what if that whole trick was itself the distraction. I could be completely wrong, but the fact we can't see what it's distracting us from might just mean it was done brilliantly.

I guess I just have a lot of faith in the man! Come Friday night I could be a sobbing wreck.

Well, I don't know that! I'm just hoping on Friday it'll be all 'I got you talking for two days about how I've done this thing that was bloody obvious, just because of the fascination put onto the trick by it involving the lottery, while actually something else was going on right under your noses'

It probably won't be. But everyone saying this was too simple for him should perhaps wait until Friday, when we know the whole story. He's said this whole thing is about distraction. We're looking for the distraction that made us miss the ball swapping - but what if that whole trick was itself the distraction. I could be completely wrong, but the fact we can't see what it's distracting us from might just mean it was done brilliantly.

I expect it will be something like this. Which really means I really really hope it's something like this.

If it was indeed a split screen camera trick, the far-away camera would have been necessary for setting up the shot. Notice the first camera is moving fully, following Derren to the stage, but when it switches to the far-shot and back again, the camera does not move. There is wobble, and zoom, but these can be done digitally (if the camera is hi-res). There is no camera movement from the moment it switches to the stage camera to the very end of the reveal. This would have been necessary to sell the illusion; you wouldn't be able to move the camera again without breaking the shot.

It's also quite interesting that in the long shot, there's an apparent light mark on the floor (which doesn't match up with any other light reflections off the floor), which is then the exact spot the cameraman stands on. The spot where Derren stands near to watch and write down the numbers, to the right of the TV, is also marked and visible. I expect both of these are deliberate so he can show how he did it, and people can cf. the original footage.

It's also quite interesting that in the long shot, there's an apparent light mark on the floor (which doesn't match up with any other light reflections off the floor), which is then the exact spot the cameraman stands on. The spot where Derren stands near to watch and write down the numbers, to the right of the TV, is also marked and visible. I expect both of these are deliberate so he can show how he did it, and people can cf. the original footage.

They're normal stage marks. You do them with white tape. It's so you don't have to guess as to whether you're still in shot or not, or in stage productions, whether the scene is composed correctly. If the cameraman is mobile, obviously he gets a mark to hit too.