IGNORED

Skate 3

moosegrinder

I bought Skate 3 off Shopto yesterday. A word of warning - it's one of those games that in an effort to dissuade second-hand sales includes a one time use code to to access a bunch of online features like sharing and creating skateparks. Great! Except the small print on the card notes this expires on 31/05/11 which is why it wouldn't take mine I guess. I hate all this shit.

Maybe you won't need to! I contacted them through their online support chat thing and explained what had happened. Once we'd etablished the code was valid and unused he asked me to try clearing my cache and amazingly enough that worked. I get the feeling if that hadn't worked he would have eventually offered a new code, they did seem very helpful.

How to clear cache if you need to.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Anyone else noticed that this has been in the UK game charts and still commands a prominent place on GAME's shelves ?

I noticed it yesterday where my local shop had it sitting in the top 10 at a still considerably high price with loads of copies.

Turns out it's had a major boost from PewDiePie making comedy videos of it.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/how-pewdiepie-fired-skate-3-back-into-the-charts/0137447

If you follow the UK charts as closely as we do, you will have noticed that Skate 3 has been in the Top 40 all year.

This week the game sits at No.20.

The reason why this is worth noting is because Skate 3 is four years-old. There is no other game of that age in the Top 40. And yet over the course of the year, it has been a permanent fixture in Chart-Track's weekly listings.

In fact, MCV can reveal that the Xbox 360 and PS3 game has sold 32.9 per cent more units for the first six months of this year compared with the first half of 2013.

The reason is an interesting one, and shows the real power of the YouTube phenomenon. If you head over to YouTube and put in 'Skate 3', you'll find tonnes of comedy videos from prominent YouTubers playing Skate 3. And these videos have been watched by millions. The biggest of all being PewDiePie, one such Skate 3 video by him has been watched by an astonishing 12.37m people. And he has done several videos playing the game.

The result of this coverage has caused a spike in interest. The game was out of print, but the weight of consumer demand at retailer GAME meant the firm requested EA produce more copies. The result has been the title sitting in the charts all year.

So there you have it. A real, trackable, tangible example on the impact YouTubers are having on the games market. Do traditional reviews have the same level of influence?

If this leads to a next gen instalment of a franchise I thought was long dead then "yabble dabble" as Animal Chin Tommy Guerrero would say.

Possibly also because yearly installments of Skate and Tony Hawk's have stopped, so this is still the most recent proper skating game.

Really hope we eventually get a new version with the current gen's native record/upload support replacing skate reel.

• 1 month later...

What's the consensus on these games - go for the most recent one or does the series have an earlier highpoint? Are they good? I'm craving a skating game for some reason and the Skate games always seem to be about 2p when I see them secondhand.

What's the consensus on these games - go for the most recent one or does the series have an earlier highpoint? Are they good? I'm craving a skating game for some reason and the Skate games always seem to be about 2p when I see them secondhand.

If you see the 3rd for 2p, you should most definitely buy it, usually looking at least a tenner for that, and it's top fun :)

We need some new skateboarding action. Stat.

Skate, Tony Hawk (not recent ones...), whatever. I miss skating while sat on my arse eating crisps.

Olli Olli for the PS Vita / PS4 is quite fun, not your traditional skating game, but a good blast for a while and pretty cheap.

• 3 years later...