David Fincher's The Social Network

Goose

I was another one of those people who didn't have any interest in seeing this movie. It was only after I heard Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo wittering on about it with Aaron Sorkin that I changed my mind. Really worth doing, although too bad Kermode gave away most of the good lines. (Then again, I wouldn't have seen it if he hadn't - what a bind!).

Great script, fantastic dialogue, and an ending along the lines of a nerdy

Inception

Anyone get a hint of Brendan Fraser in the character(s) who played Winkelvoss, by the way? It was bugging me the whole movie who he reminded me of. (And it's amusing to find that the real life twins are on Facebook, isn't it?)

Anyone get a hint of Brendan Fraser in the character(s) who played Winkelvoss, by the way? It was bugging me the whole movie who he reminded me of.

Nail on head

That's been bugging me for the last week I knew that chap reminded me of someone, they must be related.

This film is all kinds of amazing. The script just crackled and fizzed the whole way through, and I have no idea of the running time because I was completed entranced.

The thing that amazed me which should perhaps have been obvious was just how quickly Facebook exploded - so quick that almost all of the people involved could hardly keep up with it. Sean Parker appeared absolutely instrumental in getting the thing to take off yet was portrayed as a bit of a cock - but I guess that's totally possible considering that Zuckerberg didn't get off too lightly either.

The boat race scene was stunning, superbly shot and edited.

I just wanna watch it again and again.

Film of the year for me.

edit. just read Lordcookie's comments and I too felt like it was the The Wall Street of our times. It felt relevant in a way I can't exactly pinpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this film today. Truly great in a way I didn't quite expect, despite the hype. I was very much surprised to learn that the early hacking scene was taken almost verbatim from Zuckerberg (example), and finding out that the 'twins' were played by just one person blew my mind.

The soundtrack was fantastic too. The whole package was great, and it made things like the party scenes feel very visceral in a way that few films manage.

Movie of the year, for me.

I loved everything about it. The actors did a great job, the dialog was snappy and clever, the soundtrack was minimalistic but effective, the direction was spot on...I could go on.

Oh, and I just loved the tilt shift technique used in the boat race scene.

Have seen it twice. As a big fan of Sorkin's scripts, I think it was always going to be the case, but what's pleased me is that those who came with me on each occasion really liked it too.

And yes, was blown away by the effects to create the twins!

Anyone get a hint of Brendan Fraser in the character(s) who played Winkelvoss, by the way? It was bugging me the whole movie who he reminded me of. (And it's amusing to find that the real life twins are on Facebook, isn't it?)

Yes! Particularly from a little seen film called 'With Honors' with Fraser, Joe Pesci, Patrick Dempsey, Moira Kelly and Gore Vidal, which was set in Harvard.

I actually found it to be very showy. Considering it is basically just people talking round a table, it had incredible energy and inventiveness to it. More so than recent showpieces like Scott Pilgrim or Kick Ass. To keep the heart racing during scenes set round a boardroom table is a real challenge and I think Fincher deserves a lot of credit for making something so trivial so watchable. Take the scene with the psycho girlfriend when garfield is on the phone. That scene is clearly just formulated to get round the fact that yet another phone conversation will bore the audience, so they pep it up with a character who likely doesnt even exist. It's a cheap trick but Fincher turns it into something dangerous, funny and slightly scary. It keeps you on edge, despite being a device to get info into our brains without sending us to sleep. The film is full of clever stuff.

I loved Zodiac, but that did lose energy a couple of times. Panic room is just terrible and fight club is superb but lives in an unreality where it can get away with a whole lot. This film is talking about real people in a real situation based around a product that everyone we know uses. It could so easily fallen any number of different ways. Imagine for example Joel Schumacher (another showy director) directing this very same script. It would have been a garish mess.

I agree that it is inventive in how it portrays what is essentially a bunch of people sitting around a table but by 'showy' I meant that the inventiveness wasn't distracting to me. I love Fincher's work but tend to find myself thinking "oh, that's a clever shot" often during his movies, basically things that take me out of the story a little because I'm appreciating it on a technical level instead e.g. The extreme perspective shot when John Doe has the drop on Mills in the alleyway in Seven; the coffee pot shot in Panic Room; the birds eye view of the cab ride in Zodiac. All great shots but ultimately has me thinking about how they pulled it off.

With The Social Network, I was able to just take in the story with much less showiness or distraction that I've come to expect from Fincher. However I did find myself looking for the seams regarding the Winklevi twins but that was due to me knowing about the effects beforehand.

I agree that it is inventive in how it portrays what is essentially a bunch of people sitting around a table but by 'showy' I meant that the inventiveness wasn't distracting to me. I love Fincher's work but tend to find myself thinking "oh, that's a clever shot" often during his movies, basically things that take me out of the story a little because I'm appreciating it on a technical level instead e.g. The extreme perspective shot when John Doe has the drop on Mills in the alleyway in Seven; the coffee pot shot in Panic Room; the birds eye view of the cab ride in Zodiac. All great shots but ultimately has me thinking about how they pulled it off.

With The Social Network, I was able to just take in the story with much less showiness or distraction that I've come to expect from Fincher. However I did find myself looking for the seams regarding the Winklevi twins but that was due to me knowing about the effects beforehand.

The Tilt Shift boat race was the Fincher shot of this movie.

I watched this for a second time today and I think I may have enjoyed it even more this time around. The script is so great and the performances spot on that it is the sort of film you don't want to end. With all the recent best of decades lists on the forum this decade will have to be very special for this not to make a final 20 (assuming we and the site are still here in 10 years time).

This is the highest recommendation I can give. I've got about 300 films around the place to sit and watch. I've got a small child of three, another one on the way and a house that needs care & attention. Tonight the wife (who had not seen this) and I sat and watched it. I could have easily watched something else that neither of us had seen but I went with this film for the second time.

Doesn't get any better than that. Enjoyed it just as much, if not more, the second time around.

Phenomenal movie. I like how stories about nerds in movies have really grown up.

The best quote in the movie is this: "The internet's not written in pencil, Mark. It's written in ink.".

But it's one of those quotes that only a few people 'get'. In 10 years time, in 20 years time, that quote is gonna have a lot more weight to it.

I watched this for a second time today and I think I may have enjoyed it even more this time around. The script is so great and the performances spot on that it is the sort of film you don't want to end. With all the recent best of decades lists on the forum this decade will have to be very special for this not to make a final 20 (assuming we and the site are still here in 10 years time).

I went to see Let me in the other night but I was 20 mins early, so I snuck in to watch the first 20 mins of this again. Very nearly didnt leave. The score, the dialogue, the performances, even the clothes, its so incredibly hard to fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Only got around to seeing this last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. And then after the finish, for I'm still enjoying it now, in my head.

Did anyone else get reminded of Masters of Doom when watching it? The build up of a company and then the destruction of the friendship that helped set it up flows through both of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding it hard to get anybody to see this with me :(

"Hey, do you want to see The Social Network?"

"What's it about?"

"It's about the guy who created Facebook creating Facebook."

"Ugh. Sounds boring."

"No, it's been getting brilliant reviews! It's directed by David Fincher. He did Seven and Fight Club."

"But it's about how Facebook was created. That sounds like the most boring thing in the world."

"No honestly, it's been getting great reviews. It's written by the guy who wrote The West Wing."

"But it's about how Facebook was created. I use Facebook, but I don't need to know how the geeks came up with it."

"But it's a witty drama about business and intrigue!"

"Computers are boring."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

On paper (html) it sounds like a nightmare, I don't rate Fincher (this is probably his best), and I hate Sorkin and FB. Enjoyed it, don't rate it as highly as LC though.

I'm the only person who thought this was a solid, unremarkable 3/5 and that Sorkin's too-clever-to-be-real dialogue coming out of the mouth of the most socially retarded manboy ever was a bit off, aren't I? That scene where he talks back to the lawyer especially is just a horribly juvenile fantasy, I was cringing at that.

I liked it and thought Eisenberg particularly was superb, but really don't get the universal love for this.

OK, carry on.

Seen this twice so far, stunning movie and although its not quite my favourite (that goes to Inception) it is certainly in the top 5 best movies this year so far for me. Its pretty funny going back to the first page of this thread to see peoples comments and seeing all the love its getting now. Also for people saying how its a film about nothing, Facebook is possibly the biggest thing to happen to the internet in the last 10-15 years and its changed the way people communicate with each other forever, so I wouldnt say its about nothing but the reason I believe some people are thinking this is because it could be about anything else and not Facebook yet still work, which in my opinion is probably the movies greatest achievement. My mum who doesnt even know how to turn a computer on let alone understand any of the technical speak in movie still managed to keep up with the film and understand the movie and enjoy it. I dont think there is anything in this film which was done badly, the music, script, direction and acting were all superb.