David Fincher's The Social Network

Goose

I'm the only person who thought this was a solid, unremarkable 3/5 and that Sorkin's too-clever-to-be-real dialogue coming out of the mouth of the most socially retarded manboy ever was a bit off, aren't I? That scene where he talks back to the lawyer especially is just a horribly juvenile fantasy, I was cringing at that.

Perhaps, but compare and contrast that scene with the first scene where he's talking to his girlfriend; equally articulate and equally arrogant, precocious and in fitting with his ant-social character. I didn't find it too unbelievable, but I'm also happy to accept a little creative license in the name of entertainment.

I'm the only person who thought this was a solid, unremarkable 3/5 and that Sorkin's too-clever-to-be-real dialogue coming out of the mouth of the most socially retarded manboy ever was a bit off, aren't I? That scene where he talks back to the lawyer especially is just a horribly juvenile fantasy, I was cringing at that.

I liked it and thought Eisenberg particularly was superb, but really don't get the universal love for this.

OK, carry on.

I'm in a similar place, although I think Sorkin's script was the best thing about it.

Really, the story isn't all that interesting to begin with, and I thought Fincher's messing with the timelines was a cheap way of making an average tale appear more interesting than it actually was.

It's a bit of a 'meh' movie. Seeing it in so many top-tens of the year is really surprising.

• 1 month later...

93 Minute Documentary - How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook? It's on the DVD/Blu-Ray release of the film but you can watch it now for free on IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1594268185/

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2147916313/

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1309055513/

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2399574553/

Commencement

Boston

Los Angeles

The Lot

[Thanks to /Film for the link]

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps, but compare and contrast that scene with the first scene where he's talking to his girlfriend; equally articulate and equally arrogant, precocious and in fitting with his ant-social character. I didn't find it too unbelievable, but I'm also happy to accept a little creative license in the name of entertainment.

Almost reached for the off button after the first few minutes - dialogue was excruciating - thought I'd picked up Juno 2.

Settled down a bit after that - very good film overall but couldn't buy into Justin Timberlake for some reason.

Anyway, this emerald walks into a bar and starts....

I think Sorkin's dialogue fits this much better than it ever did The West Wing, the crucial difference being none of these characters are meant to be all that likeable. Never really got on with how forced the reparte in TWW was, it's much more believable and appropriate for college students at Harvard to be trying so hard to sound clever at the expense of actually saying anything.

Overall the film's more entertaining than it has any right to be, I wouldn't deliberately stick it on again but I'm sure if I caught five minutes of it channel hopping I'd watch to the end.

I am incensed by the first point, and in total agreement with the second point.

We really need a third voting option between pos and neg that strongly communicates that 'I broke even with that...but it registered with me'.

• 11 months later...

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' score for this is the best part of the film, though (together with the cinematography)

...found it all rather sterile & their point of it being a chronicle of how friendship changes = not really convincing.

The soundscape oozes danger, betrayal, sex - more appropriate for a thriller accompanying a fictional tale of how an almost pyschopatical nerd kills off his competition in order to get filthy rich with the ultimate "look at me I'm so cool" online-platform.