IGNORED

Soup

DNStuff

For a while now I've been on a self imposed soup diet.

I skip breakfast, have a bowl of soup for lunch and have either a normal dinner or a soup for dinner depending on how hungry I am.

The thing is, I only like tomato soup as I can't seem to tolerate anything that has 'bits' in it. Fresh orange, yoghurt with fruit in, that sort of thing.

My question is, I'm getting sick of the sight of plain tomato soup, so much so that the bowl is filling up with salty tears of despair far quicker than I can eat the damn thing. Can anyone either recommend me an alternative of a similar texture, or suggest ways of spicing up the soup a bit. Any extra ingredients, sauces, sides you can add that might make it a bit more exciting?

Suggestions welcome!

Don't want to see this again

TomatoSoup.jpg

Get yourself a inexpensive hand blender, and make your own soup! You can control the size of the bits then.

Fry an onion, some garlic, then throw in a few peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Give it a stir to coat everything, then cover with water or vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, then take it off the heat and whack in the blender, adding more water if you need it.

Delicious.

Isn't there a lot of salt in tomato soup?

Make your own soup and as has been said buy a hand blender.

Also don't skip breakfast. Have a decent cereal - i.e. muesli, with skimmed milk.

And if you want to jazz up your tomato soup check out the Hot Sauce thread. A couple of drops of Dragon's Blood definitely makes it more interesting!

Get yourself a inexpensive hand blender, and make your own soup! You can control the size of the bits then.

Or even blend 'bought' soup 'til it's smooth enough for you. A stick blender is good as you just poke into the container/pan that you've heated your soup in.

Terrible diet though. :facepalm:

If you are ona diet the worst thin you can do is not eat breakfast.

And make other kinds of soup and just blend until it has no bits?

Edit - hang on, are you just living off tinned tomato soup?!

I think skipping breakfast is only detrimental if it causes you to snack during the day, which I seem to be avoiding at the moment. To be honest I only stick to soup properly during the week. At the weekends I tend to eat whatever anyone else is eating :s I will have to try using the blender

Fry an onion, some garlic, then throw in a few peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Give it a stir to coat everything, then cover with water or vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, then take it off the heat and whack in the blender, adding more water if you need it.

Delicious.

That sounds beautiful. I'll give that a go and post pictures of the results if they're successful. Just got to see if I can fit that process into my lunch break

Also don't skip breakfast. Have a decent cereal - i.e. muesli, with skimmed milk.

And if you want to jazz up your tomato soup check out the Hot Sauce thread. A couple of drops of Dragon's Blood definitely makes it more interesting!

I've never really understood the don't skip breakfast thing. What is the logic behind it?

Or even blend 'bought' soup 'til it's smooth enough for you. A stick blender is good as you just poke into the container/pan that you've heated your soup in.

Terrible diet though. :facepalm:

I think I've got one of those stick blenders. Something I can try this lunchtime!

If you prepare in advance it's easy - I'm a fan of roasted pepper and chorizo soup - just make a big pot up and freeze what you don't need in single serving containers.

4 red peppers

1 tblsp olive oil

50 g Chorizo slices

1 onion finely chopped

1 clove of garlic - crushed

1 tblsp tomato purée

600ml chicken stock

1tbls chopped oregano leaves (you can use dried if needs be)

sugar

salt + pepper to taste

put the peppers in the oven at 200° C for about 25-30 mins until charred and soft. Place in a polythene bag - seal and allow to cool then peel the skins and remove the seeds (save the juice that's collected).

fry the onion, garlic and chorizo on a low heat for 5 mins , add the peppers and stir for a minute then add tomato purée , stock oregano and a spoonful of sugar, stir through, bring to the boil then simmer with the lid on for 20 mins.

Using a hand blender purée the mixture until smooth and if you fancy a nice garnish lightly fry a slice of chorizo to float on top.

• 2 weeks later...

I really recommend the 'just bung anything in a pan' approach, you'll start having soup that's far tastier than anything out of a tin and the feeling of satisfaction you get from a great recipe you've made up yourself is priceless.

Here's one I made earlier. You can tell I've made it because I just bung 'some stuff' in my soups without actually measuring anything.

Some fish (a fillet of smoked haddock/bunch of prawns/anything that's on offer)

Some Cabbage

Some Peas

Some Dill

2 chopped cloves Garlic

Chilli paste

About a litre of vegetable stack

A lump of butter

Salt and Pepper

But the Butter, Dill, cabbage, peas and fish in a big pan and cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes. Then put everything else in. You'll want a bit more pepper than you think.

Cook on Low heat for 1 hour.

Serve with white wine. Or Cider. Or beer. I don't know, I had it with lemonade the other day.

OM NOM NOM NOM.

Then put the rest in the freezer. Alternatively, Soups keep for about 2/3 days in the fridge.

Then put the rest in the freezer. Alternatively, Soups keep for about 2/3 days in the fridge.

Mine last seven days, perhaps longer but I've never had any left past then. I use tupperware obviously though.

The last soup I made was just a fried onion, thin slices of potatoe and a squash plus pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Once the veg stock has boiled everything to be nice and soft I whizz it up. I added some yoghurt too but I advise against this as it ends up looking like a bowl of sick.

If you add two tablespoons of rice just before simmering the soup for half an hour, it goes all smooth and creamy after blending without the need for actual cream.

although this news might not be that useful to people who aren't a couple of chicken nuggets away from a heart attack

I think skipping breakfast is only detrimental if it causes you to snack during the day, which I seem to be avoiding at the moment.

Not true. The problem is the gap between dinner and lunch. If you have dinner at about 6pm and lunch at 12pm, there's a gap of around 18 hours. When your body isn't fed for so long, it goes into "starvation mode". This not only slows down your metabolism, leaving you sluggish and unable to think properly, but it also means that anything you will eat will get stored as fat - since your body doesn't know when it'll get fed again and will want the reserves of energy.

Eat breakfast.

But be careful what you eat, muesli is full of sugar (not least in all the dried fruit) as are a lot of "low fat" breakfast cereals like Special K. Have something that will keep you full until lunch, I have a couple of boiled eggs and a bowl of porridge every morning.