Ru Paul's Drag Race

I feel like Ellie has been cast several years too early. She doesn't feel fully formed as a queen or like she has much to say and so she comes off as dull. Needs a lot more time in the oven.

I think Bimini has it in the bag. She brings comedy, she brings performance, she brings fashion, she's extremely likeable. Possibly one of the most well-rounded queens ever.

I laughed so hard at 'Gemma was banging on my dressing room door earlier...I let her out eventually'.

The Katie Ptice bit was good, but the real star of the snatch game was Tayce, with her excellent Kath Day-Knight.

Now that The People’s Queen Tia Kofi is gone, I think I want Tayce to win.

Also, there is a good programme on iplayer about how they all fared through lockdown, it’s very interesting.

Tayce had a narrow squeak last night! That outfit was appalling (although it looked good) - it was cracking me up how it was falling to bits during the lipsync.

Sister Sister was very hard done by indeed - personally I’d have had LC in the bottom two but it seems RuPaul has a bit of a blind spot there.

Incidentally, I was reading up on Michelle Visage and I was amazed to learn she was in Seduction, who did the seminal Heartbeat, which has always been a playing out record box staple for me:

16349999-19DC-4AD2-B64C-DCA1E1C4E12E.jpeg.68475beb3d32b52e173612e868b281aa.jpeg

:wub:

No US show this week due to a mini break. Back with a Snatch Game ep on 6th March.

Back in the superior UK show, thought the right queen went. Tayce’s outfit wasn’t good, but she at least looked good in it. Sister Sister’s effort was great example of good idea, poor execution, leaving her lost amid a frenzy of shiny plastic and a trouser suit. And her lip sync suffered as a result.

Interested to see how LC bounces back in the stand-up comedy challenge next week. He should walk it, but there’s always a disappointment and a surprise in such challenges.

1 minute ago, jon_cybernet said:

I feel LC is very quick-witted and funny on the spot, but I feel he crumbled under the pressure of the comedy challenges - his snatch game was way too try-hard. Hope he smashes it though! 

True. He was poor the Snatch game given how funny he normally comes across.

The judges haven’t given the ‘get out of your own head’ speech yet, hopefully they won’t for LC.

I didn’t think sister Sister deserved to be in the bottom 2, until I saw her without the giant rose prop - and it suddenly became obvious how arts and craft it all looked. A lot of great looks on the runway though, it was a strong week. 

What the hell was going on with the final two today? Absolutely inexplicable. Ellie had the worst costume and the worst stand up. Nailed on cert for final 2. She may be young, she may be talented, but she needs to go home now she's outstayed her welcome.

46 minutes ago, barkbat said:

What the hell was going on with the final two today? Absolutely inexplicable. Ellie had the worst costume and the worst stand up. Nailed on cert for final 2. She may be young, she may be talented, but she needs to go home now she's outstayed her welcome.

No, Laurence Chaney and A’Whora had the worst stand up by a country mile, and LC was by far the least funny of the two.

It was difficult to pick who should have been lipsyncing because they were all such a mismatch, apart from Bimini and Tayce who were the only two who should have been safe. But the whole thing is bullshit now, LC is being dragged (ho ho!) through for no good reason each week.

I get the special charisma of LC - but with each show she seems to be more of a nervous wreck, more competitive, and less engaging - where as Bimini just shines brighter and brighter. LC may have had the most disappointing stand up but Ellie's was just bizarre car-wreck one trick embarassing. At least ahora had the south park beep which left it to your imagination. Plus her style was just brilliant.

No, Ellie’s was actually funny. I imagine A’Whora’s would have been too if we’d been allowed to hear it, but god knows why the judges went so easy on LC’s train wreck.

LC just comes across as a proper dickhead too. She was one of the main characters in the Mother Tuckers show I linked to before, she seemed a lot more likeable in that so maybe it’s the pressure as you say.

That’s the problem with this kind of format though - overall you would have to say Ellie Diamond should clearly be out and A’Whora should clearly be in, but based on last night’s performance, she was right to be in the bottom.

Having said that, the way AW and LC were bitching at Ellie for the ordering was pathetic, and I would see them both gone for that alone.

My girlfriend put this on last night while I was doing a bit of work on my laptop and it’s the first time I’ve seen it.

I just couldn’t get my head around it! Is it some kind of piss take or something? Every single person on it came across as a nasty, unlikeable caricature. They did a stand up routine for some reason and I don’t think there was a single funny line amongst them, all while a panel of celebs featuring Alan Carr and Dawn French pretended to laugh while a bunch of unfunny idiots just kept shouting about cock.

I’ve honestly never seen anything like it. She’s watched shit like Love Island before, but this seems to be even more vacuous.

What’s the deal with it? What’s the point of the show?

Come on, Jon! You would be the first to admit you’re no judge of comedy! But the point was none of them were stand up comedians, it’s a challenge amongst many designed to expose their strengths and weaknesses.

As for what the point of it is, it’s the best programme on telly - unparalleled as a medium for conveying pure joy.

49 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Come on, Jon! You would be the first to admit you’re no judge of comedy! But the point was none of them were stand up comedians, it’s a challenge amongst many designed to expose their strengths and weaknesses.

As for what the point of it is, it’s the best programme on telly - unparalleled as a medium for conveying pure joy.

My taste in comedy is impeccable, I’ll have you know.

This though… urgh. A bunch of self centred, hateful idiots devoid of any talent or personality. Not my idea of fun, sorry.

It was such a shock to my system, that I was quite intrigued by just how bad it all was though. So maybe it’s doing something right!

Sorry for stumbling in like this, but I just had to speak to someone about it. I’ll let you get back to enjoying it.

It also has something to say, sure, these people are louder than life and caricatures but they have compelling back stories and insights on what it's like to live on the fringes of society. For all it's catty, back stabbing it's heart warming and life affirming. 

39 minutes ago, JPL said:

My taste in comedy is impeccable, I’ll have you know.

This though… urgh. A bunch of self centred, hateful idiots devoid of any talent or personality. Not my idea of fun, sorry.

It was such a shock to my system, that I was quite intrigued by just how bad it all was though. So maybe it’s doing something right!

Sorry for stumbling in like this, but I just had to speak to someone about it. I’ll let you get back to enjoying it.

To be fair, the enjoyment of reality tv is the cumulative nature of it. You follow the participants through the ups and downs, and ultimately become invested in their wins and losses. Turning up at the end of a season and half watching an episode isn't going to be interesting to anyone. Particularly a show like DRUK that also has many seasons of the US show that it's constantly referencing. It's like reading the penultimate chapter of Return of the King, not enjoying it and then declaring all of Lord of the Rings to be shit.  

1 hour ago, JPL said:

This though… urgh. A bunch of self centred, hateful idiots devoid of any talent or personality.

This is pretty much the opposite of what you saw.

As you say, jumping into it - especially in an episode that is designed to play against in thier skill set isn't going to show its glory to a new comer.

If you stick with it or watch from the start, I bet you'll find that it's not the standard reality trash. Of course, it just might not be your cup of tea.

Last night was the most genuinely catty episode so far so it wasn't really an ideal entrance point for a new viewer. It's nearly the final, the pressure is showing and it's a boiling pot of emotions. 

But still, it's a show about drag queens. There's going to be a fair bit of playing up to the cameras and shade being thrown around because that's what drag queens do. You don't spend hours putting on make-up and outfits and performing on stage unless you want to be centre of attention. But if you watch it from the beginning and get to know them better you'll realise most of the them are very warm, very smart, very talented and very vulnerable underneath it all.