DAY-E-TOOONAAAA!

Spartan

might mean we can get an emulated port for XBLA/PSN too...

If Sega don't do this they are the biggest spackers in the world. Oh wait, they already are. Seriously, though, if they can release a port of a niche game like Virtua On Oratorio Tangram on XBLA then surely Dayton, er, I mean Sega Racing Whatever is an open goal.

And Sega Rally.

And Virtua Fighter (2).

And Virtua Racing.

And Crazy Taxi.

And Jambo Safari.

And Fighting Vipers.

And Motor Raid.

And Manx TT.

And Virtua Cop.

And Planet Harriers.

And Cosmic Smash.

And F355 Challenge.

And Wild Riders.

And Scud Race.

And After Burner Climax.

And Sega Race TV.

And and and and and probably hundreds more from their 3D arcade history I want but can't remember right now.

If Sega don't do this they are the biggest spackers in the world. Oh wait, they already are. Seriously, though, if they can release a port of a niche game like Virtua On Oratorio Tangram on XBLA then surely Dayton, er, I mean Sega Racing Whatever is an open goal.

And Sega Rally. - 800

And Virtua Fighter (2) - 800.

And Virtua Racing. - 800

And Crazy Taxi. - 800

And Jambo Safari. - 800

And Fighting Vipers. - 800

And Motor Raid. - 800

And Manx TT. - 800

And Virtua Cop. - 800

And Planet Harriers. - 800

And Cosmic Smash. - 800

And F355 Challenge. - 800

And Wild Riders. - 800

And Scud Race. - 800

And After Burner Climax. - 800

And Sega Race TV. - 800

And and and and and probably hundreds more from their 3D arcade history I want but can't remember right now.

Yeah, I could spend at least 8000 points there. Surely it would be free money for Sega.

And Sega Rally.

And Virtua Fighter (2).

And Virtua Racing.

And Crazy Taxi.

And Jambo Safari.

And Fighting Vipers.

And Motor Raid.

And Manx TT.

And Virtua Cop.

And Planet Harriers.

And Cosmic Smash.

And F355 Challenge.

And Wild Riders.

And Scud Race.

And After Burner Climax.

And Sega Race TV.

That's a great list, but Sega are far too busy making the next extreme Sonic game, which will feature more speed and, more importantly more guns and blood than ever before. They're also renaming him as 'Zonic' because everyone knows that 'Z' is way cooler than 'S'.

Really? Why did they bother to do that?

Fanservice. People will go nuts for it irrespective of how good it is.

And Scud Race.

A thousand times this.

If Sega don't do this they are the biggest spackers in the world.

Sega have always, ALWAYS been a company that does the opposite of what they should do. I remember reading Sega Power magazine around 93-96 and even then Sega were a joke with the ideas they came up with. They never do what they should, which i guess makes us lucky the DC was soo good. A fluke perhaps.

Sega have always, ALWAYS been a company that does the opposite of what they should do. I remember reading Sega Power magazine around 93-96 and even then Sega were a joke with the ideas they came up with. They never do what they should, which i guess makes us lucky the DC was soo good. A fluke perhaps.

For that, they must've thought "let's make a really shit console to cement our reputation for being a bit nuts."

Licensing issues, I assume.

Yeah but why just basically recommission the game? Why not update the visuals? Then again I think MDY hit the nail on the head when he said this:

I think the idea is that it's still popular.. BUT the cabinets are now starting to pack in - hence it's not much more than a hardware refresh - but as said, the licensing has changed in the meantime...

Would have been nice for them to get rid of the popup though... guess it was a very basic rejig (replacing the title graphics with different ones is likely much easier than trawling round in the code for the bit that controls the draw distance..)

Ah well... better than nothing.. who knows, might mean we can get an emulated port for XBLA/PSN too...

Aye, too right.

I was there with the Saturn and if it weren't for the quite frankly brilliant (most of the time, considering the technical limitations) home conversions of those Model 2 arcade classics, I would have regretted my purchase. I sure as hell didn't buy the fucking thing for Clockwork Knight and Bug, that's for sure. The DC was the only time they realised their strength - amazing arcade games - and thus it was the arcade in the home I had always dreamed of.

I don't hold any hope of them releasing this for consoles to be honest, as mentioned above they seem too preoccupied making terrible Sonic games and trying to be a limited version of Gametap with http://www.playsega.co.uk/

Man, browsing the Sega bit of the System16 site makes me want to cry.

It seems like a total no brainer to release a home version if they've gone to the trouble of recommissioning the thing, even more so when it is rumoured to be emulated. Sega Rally made it to the PS2 via emulation (excellent it was too!). But I wouldn't be that surprised if it never did turn up.

If it's just Daytona, pure and simple, that's fine by me. Better than nothing at all. No! Have I jinxed it now?

If the Daytona license is lost then surely this is going to affect the music in the game??

They can fuck with the name but they CAN'T fuck with the soundtrack... <_<

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176738

The long answer isn't much more exciting -- after seeing the game in action and playing each track a couple of times, it seems obvious that Sega Racing Classic is simply a repackaging of the original game with only minor enhancements and at least one painful omission: the iconic soundtrack, which introduced the exclamation "Daytonaaaaa!" into the gaming lexicon.
However, with only a very minor visual update (and the unfortunate removal of the classic over-the-top soundtrack), the game may have some trouble competing with modern, more elaborate racers.

:hat: