FIA World Rally Championship

The Sarge

Demo for this now up on the Euro marketplace. I can't download it due to my internet being a bit fucked at the minute (ie BT are useless cunts) but here it is:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/games/offers/00000000-0000-4000-8000-00004c5387e4?cid=SLink

Apparently it's been made more with controllers in mind than wheels. (the whole game I mean, not just the demo)

Oh fuck. Wait till the RLLMUK racing game massive wake up.

Impressed by an initial couple of passes on the Finland stage (top difficulty and no HUD). The handling really does change accurately when you alter the diff & suspension settings. It's certainly not the kind of game where you'll be gracefully drifting straight away. That said, modern WRC kit doesn't drift so well theses days anyway. S-WRC is for the mega sideways merchants.

Based on the demo, don't know if it's a day one job, but I'll certainly pick it up. A very pleasant surprise.

Shiiiiiit...

This is surprisingly good! With the wheel it's very enjoyable to play, although there's little rumble (yes, I've switched it on) or jerk in it. Still nice resistance though, unlike in their V8 games. Lots of deadzone and linearity options for the wheel as well. Graphically it's a disappointment, but it has the right 'feel', which is all that matters. Great physics and damage model, though!

Shiiiiiit...

This is surprisingly good! With the wheel it's very enjoyable to play, although there's little rumble (yes, I've switched it on) or jerk in it. Still nice resistance though, unlike in their V8 games. Lots of deadzone and linearity options for the wheel as well. Graphically it's a disappointment, but it has the right 'feel', which is all that matters. Great physics and damage model, though!

You haven't noticed how the car handles on a pivot? Just try the camera from behind the car and you'll see. I think.

Either way, I gave it a quick blast last night, but should get back to it for better impressions. Possibly this afternoon, or later this week.

Just try the camera from behind the car

Are you insane? If there's a cockpit view, Meerman will use nothing else!

Joking aside, it feels right in cockpit view with a wheel. I'll give it a go with the pad, and the view from behind the car now.

Suprised by how much i enjoyed this too. Played it on the Expert setting and the 2nd cockpit view and found it really challenging in a fun way.

Also it's quite a work-out using the wheel.

Pity it's going to get lost in in the onslaught of racing games coming out soon.

If anyone wants a challenge my best time at Jordan in the Citroen is 4.29.36 (Expert mode).

Really enjoyed the half hour I've just had on this. Nice to have a "traditional" rally game on the horizon, really reminds me of the PS1 CMR's (and not just because of the slightly gen befor last feel to the graphics)

For me, this one feels like it could be hard to master but dead satisfying when you do.

Has anyone else found the default settings to be a bit shit? Too much understeer? A good set of customisable settings though, and 10 presets to choose from.

Don't like the co-driver much. Seems to be in a permanent bad mood, but thats probably just down to my shitty driving.

Day 2 purchase for me

Joe's right...it does turn on a pivot. Hmm.

That sort of ruins it for me. The whole idea of a car turning on a pivot in a racing game never disturbed me in the past, until you pointed it out in that Ferrari Challenge game about two years ago. If you compare it to 'proper' racing games like PGR, Forza and (as in this case) DiRT, it really feels wrong.

You could say "stick to the cockpit view and you'll be fine", but I can't unfeel the pivot thing! :ph34r: Still need to give the demo another proper go, mind.

Watch the car on the jumps - theres little suspension intertia at all. Your car lands dead flat.

Its a few step ups from an arcade rally game. Sound is very weak, hardly any backfiring.

Its no Dirt2 and whilst i like some of the scene effects, they're there to hide the graphics - some are very average but some are awful (the girder bridge at the end of the first demo track).

The whole track is loaded to ram though....hence the quick restarts. Crash effects are "workmanlike" but the track object physics seem to work okay (fences crash, whilst logs kill you off in pro).

Reminds me of CMR, bought only slightly up to date. Very poor replay cams at times - TV cams are fast flybys mostly - so not TV cams.

No sense of action and slows quite a bit too.

I'll be waiting until this is very cheap i'm afraid. No real sense of excitement at all.

I think Meers and Joe are on the money with the Pivot turning.