FIA World Rally Championship

The Sarge

The backlash has already begun! :coffee:

Either way, I played some more DiRT 2 last night, and despite being a year old it's SO much better than this. The graphics, the engine sounds (by a mile) and the physics. In terms of content WRC 2010 lies ahead, with the official FIA license, but I'll wait for DiRT 3, which has that license as well.

Had a quick blast on this earlier. Oh my lord, it's like driving on ice with an oil tanker. The understeer is horrible, and yet the car feels like it's on ice skates. It all feels wrong.

Anyone got any tips to make the handling better?

Alter the diff bias towards the rear and increase the rear brake bias, that helped me.

Really enjoyed the demo of this. Can't argue with the graphics looking poor as they do of course(though i've seen much worse) but I enjoyed the handling with a few tweaks. As this is the only rally game due out until Dirt 3 it'll do nicely though I'm not sure about getting it on release as it's on the same day as Lord Of Shadows. It'll definitely be a purchase around xmas time though.

I'll try tweaking the diff and brake balance too and see if it gets better.

You guys are a lot more hardcore than I am though so I'm not sure if you'll take to it as much. I really liked Need For Speed Shift for instance which I know you racing fans don't like so much :D

Some of us thought it was alright, although i run the PC version with patches. It still has things wrong though.

I was playing this with a wheel earlier and its frankly attrocious. I really quite hate it.

I think its better played with a pad but its still bad. The sonics are awful too.

Theres just no connection with whats going on sonically.

Alter the diff bias towards the rear and increase the rear brake bias, that helped me.

Yes. Yes it does.

Changes what was a barely controllable bobsled into a car that you can control and actually makes the game all right. It really does feel like Colin Macrae Rally 6 to me. It looks like a first gen 360 game though, and yet, once the handling was sorted, I really enjoyed it. It's not a day one purchase, but it's definitely a £17.99 purchase about a month after it comes out.

I found it quite fun - using the pad with the cockpit view. My first go on it was 4.03.56 - and that was after clipping some logs a few times!

Oh hello, I've just discovered the handbrake. 3.57.80. Will try the Jordan track now.

And I love how your codriver has an orgasm when you smash into a rock :)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had much chance to play this so far, just a quick blast after work yesterday and before heading out. I'm using the MS wheel.

First of all, it's pretty much the same game as the demo. I can't see any graphical improvement so for those for whom this is extremely important; look away now!

After setting up my driver details, I've only completed the driving school stuff and one stage in career mode so far:

The driving school section is a bit pointless tbh, in that it doesn't give you any instructions on how to approach each challenge, unlike the excellent rally school in Richard Burns Rally. However, it does introduce you to each surface type and does a good job of showing how the handling of the car changes between each. The challenges weren't particularly tricky. You just need to beat a ghost over a single section of stage, or a whole stage for the final challenge. The rallying geek in me quite liked the fact that when driving as Henning Solberg you have a female co-driver (even if she isn't German).

Onto career mode. First thing you do is drive a single stage in a works C4 (not sure what the point of this was tbh). After this you set up your co-driver who can be male or female and who you can name (I went for female hoping she'd be a bit less annoying). You can also pick the name of your team. And that's where I'm up to.

The handling is the same as the demo and I found the car too oversteery for me. I haven't actually done any stages where I can change the setup yet, but that will be coming next as I get into the main career mode.

Pace notes seem slightly inconsistent - sometimes you get distances to the next corner and sometimes you don't. It hasn't caused me too many issues so far, but it's early days.

To summarise, I'm liking it so far. Looking forward to really getting into it tomorrow night.

Eurogamer Review - 7/10

A lot of WRC 2010 is as predictable and inevitable as Loeb's seemingly unstoppable run of championships, then. It may let down the sport it depicts with an overall deficiency in polish, general lack of cohesiveness and a few silly design flaws, but a little more time spent in the service area fine-tuning its various elements and next year's edition could be spraying the bubbly while standing on the bonnet of its achievement.

For now, those prepared to invest the necessary commitment, ignore the blandness and live with the game's failings will find that – once on the dirt, gravel, snow or asphalt – WRC FIA World Rally Championship delivers moments that are indisputably thrilling.

Only read the first page as that review is awfully written, since when did people take eurogamer seriously anyway? :lol:

Played the demo and deleted it after playing on all of the available tracks. It is awful Colin McRae 2005 on the original xbox has better presentation and graphics than this. The handling is poor and the amount of pop up is unacceptable for a 360 game. If this was a budget release then that might be more understandable but as a full price release?

Colin McRae 2005 on the original xbox has better presentation and graphics than this.

I completely disagree, I went back to Colin McRae Rally 2005 this year and you've got rose tinted glasses on if you think that looks better than WRC 2010.

Although the game may have issues and may not play better than CMR, it in no way looks worse than the old McRae games. Presentation wise, CMR does have the upper hand though.

I completely disagree, I went back to Colin McRae Rally 2005 this year and you've got rose tinted glasses on if you think that looks better than WRC 2010.

Although the game may have issues and may not play better than CMR, it in no way looks worse than the old McRae games. Presentation wise, CMR does have the upper hand though.

in terms of trackside detail and pop up/draw distance CMR looks better. The only thing WRC 2010 has over CMR is the fact that its in HD.

Thing is why on earth pay £30 (cheapest Ive found the game so far) for this crap when you can pick up DiRT2 for around £10?

Exactly this. When I first tried the demo I was sliding about and oversteering but a few tweaks here and there and I got the 'feel' of ralllying just right.

Totally agree. There is a decent handling model behind this game. I'm really looking forward to properly getting into it this evening.

Exactly this. When I first tried the demo I was sliding about and oversteering but a few tweaks here and there and I got the 'feel' of ralllying just right.

But I would argue that the player shouldnt really have to tweak the controls to fix them, the default should be good enough for the casual player who doesnt want to go through a load of menu screens adjusting the parts for them to actually be able to control the car comfortably.

Played the full game the other day, it was very disappointing in all departments (visuals/audio/handling/track design/structure/presentation) as I've been waiting for a decent WRC game for a while. If this was a budget title I would be able to forgive a lot, because its not a bad game at all its just very average. I wouldn't recommend it until you can pick it up cheap.