FIA World Rally Championship

The Sarge

this game is shocking judging from the demo i played the other night, each time i get around a corner it's as if the car automatically limits me to 50mph, i pressed pause and had a little look to try and change something to make it stop but couldnt find it, i then struggled on and my co-driver i figure it was let off the fakest most gay scream/squeal i've ever heard when i hit a rock so i had a laugh to myself and turned it off and then deleted it :unsure:

Played the full game the other day, it was very disappointing in all departments (visuals/audio/handling/track design/structure/presentation) as I've been waiting for a decent WRC game for a while. If this was a budget title I would be able to forgive a lot, because its not a bad game at all its just very average. I wouldn't recommend it until you can pick it up cheap.

I'm sure if Evolution were still making rally games we'd have something much better than this. The handling really was spot on in Rally Evolved, and I'm sure the next game would've had more than 3 stages per rally! I remember discussing that with you at the time actually, do you still work for them mate?

I hated this. Its a real shame as the tracks are sometimes excellent (Greese 1 for example where you drive into the stadium and can see it from miles away).

But no, yeah Shit.

Might try the handling tweaks but it looks wrong in replays as well.

Its a massive irony as Screamer, Screamer 2, Screamer rally and SBK/Superbike 2001 were fantastic.

Maybe they've changed programmers.

Screamer was the last great game to run without a video card IIRC.

I'm sure if Evolution were still making rally games we'd have something much better than this. The handling really was spot on in Rally Evolved, and I'm sure the next game would've had more than 3 stages per rally! I remember discussing that with you at the time actually, do you still work for them mate?

Still at Evo, but its all about MotorStorm these days ;) I'm obviously hugely biased, but I thought the handling in Rally Evolved was by far the best of the WRC series we made at Evolution. It'd be fun to work on another WRC game but don't get your hopes up :P

Well being a big fan of rallying I went and picked this up today. I've played the demo so know what to expect, and it'll be interesting to see if there's a shining rally game behind the less than stellar visuals.

If anyone else decides to give this a go then feel free to add me to your friends list if you either want some times to beat or fancy some online races.

Well being a big fan of rallying I went and picked this up today. I've played the demo so know what to expect, and it'll be interesting to see if there's a shining rally game behind the less than stellar visuals.

If anyone else decides to give this a go then feel free to add me to your friends list if you either want some times to beat or fancy some online races.

Nice one, I'm very keen to hear what you make of it.

Right then my first impressions of the game.

First off, this ain't no arcade racer, so anyone who whinged about the demo because they didn't get through the stage quickly first time are going about it wrong. This isn't as over-the-top simmy as Richard Burns Rally but it is more difficult that the Colin McRae games. I haven't done any of the rallies yet, just doing the tutorials on how to drive on different surfaces, how to handbrake properly, where best to brake, how to counter-steer, and how best to tackle (and land) jumps.....all of which need to be done right to shave off those seconds. There's a driving line which shows the optimum time to accelerate, decelerate, brake, and handbrake, and it is really showing me that I can't approach it like I did with the CM games, I have to be more careful, more precise. You can't scream into corners, heavy brake, hold the handbrake down and casually drift around the corner and accelerate off....well, I guess you could if you were very very good but with this game you'll be feathering the throttle and the brakes a lot and thinking how best to approach a corner. The different surfaces clearly make a difference in how you drive (obviously).

Visually it's not bad. Not the best I've seen but functional. Same goes with overall presentation which isn't exactly slick but then again it isn't the awful Dirt 2 style with trailer, rawk music, and taking an age to actually have a race.

In-car view is THE way to play this because it gives a greater sense of speed and, more importantly, an immediate result of every action, which is essential in a rally game. Oh and nailing a hairpin just right with the handbrake and accelerator and gliding around a corner while in-car view is one of 'those' moments.

I'm not giving this a seal of approval until I've spent some time with it this weekend but I will say that this is actually going to be a challenging rally game for a change, and I think I'm going to like this.

World Rally Championship – Launch Trailer

Posted on October 8th, 2010 in Console, Other Sim Racing

Black Bean Games has released the final bit of preview material of their World Rally Championship title as the game is now available in stores.

The game features all 13 rally events from the 2010 schedule and cars from the WRC, Junior WRC and the Production WRC class. Furthermore, PC users are getting free access to five historical Group B rally cars while Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 buyers have to pay for the Group B DLC pack.

This posting ends VirtualR’s coverage of the title, there will be no review by me as Black Bean Games apparently isn’t interested to have their title reviewed on VirtualR.

hmm...

From what I've played I'm really enjoying this though it's admittedly only been the WRC Academy tutorial parts. The handling especially feels very good to me though I'm bloody terrible at it so far :lol: Nice to have a new rally game for this year even if there's obviously room for improvement.

hmm...

Maybe they just don't give a shit about reviews or they didn't want to provide a review copy, goodness only knows.

in terms of trackside detail and pop up/draw distance CMR looks better. The only thing WRC 2010 has over CMR is the fact that its in HD.

Thing is why on earth pay £30 (cheapest Ive found the game so far) for this crap when you can pick up DiRT2 for around £10?

Because Dirt 2 is a completely different type of game?

[in before Meerman]A good one ?[/meerman] :P

I'll be looking to pick this up when it's had a few quid knocked off it. Probably during the pre-christmas drought.

Well regardless of how good Dirt 2 is it's certainly not a Rally game, it's a racing game with a little bit of rally in it.

played the first 6/7 or so events in this today, after initial disapointment of having to start in a slow car i was really enjoying it, and while there may be less physics simulated (if that even makes any sense, just from looking at the car it doesn't look like much is going on) in this than dirt2, i think the rally handling has a better feel to it in this, more like the good old days of cmr2, but will wait till i've played it more before passing proper judgement :)

played the first 6/7 or so events in this today, after initial disapointment of having to start in a slow car i was really enjoying it, and while there may be less physics simulated (if that even makes any sense, just from looking at the car it doesn't look like much is going on) in this than dirt2, i think the rally handling has a better feel to it in this, more like the good old days of cmr2, but will wait till i've played it more before passing proper judgement :)

I think its just pivoted. Watch the car go around the track in replays...it doesn't look right.

I think its just pivoted. Watch the car go around the track in replays...it doesn't look right.

i play in chase cam so can see it all the time, well not that much as i'm looking into the distance and at the mini map a lot more than at the car, but yeah it does look like it pivots, but i don't really see what's wrong with that if it feels good. and this feels good to me anyway - part of that is because the car does what i'd expect it to, wether what i expext it to do is what it should be doing is a different matter! handling seems similar to cmr2 which is one of my all time favorite games, and i think that looks like it pivots round the centre of the car too.

I've had a fair amount of time with this over the weekend. Thought I'd add some more impressions. I know there's more negative points than positive, but my overall opinion of the game is very positive. I think it's a great first effort by a small developer, hopefully they'll be able to really build on this next year.

Good Points:

- Handling model really is very good. You can really feel the effect changes to the setup have on the car. Braking hard for a tight hairpin, grabbing the handbrake and powering through the turn feels great!

- AI are hard! I’m on medium difficulty and seem competitive on gravel but really struggle on tarmac and snow – must improve!

- Like the career structure.

- Graphics are generally good.

- Stages are generally good and well designed. Germany and Wales have been highlights so far.

- I really like the fact that you can change the timing of the pace notes. Having them set to ‘far in advance’ is essential for me.

- Being able to turn off all the on screen furniture is good.

- Sense of speed is great on the in car camera.

Could be improved:

- Pace notes are too inconsistent (not sure if this is just a problem if you have the language set to English). There should be distances to every corner in the notes, not just the odd one or two. Also, there are far too many hairpins in the notes. Just because a corner goes through 180° doesn’t mean it needs to be labelled as a hairpin in the notes, a ‘3’ would be sufficient for most of them and it makes it difficult to judge the tight ones when they do appear.

- It would be nice to have proper dynamic weather in the game. It’s a shame that rallies like Japan are always wet and Spain is always dry. It would be nice to be able to drive the rallies with different weather. Working windscreen wipers and rain effects would be good too.

- There are some inconsistencies with the graphics and sound. For example, Spain is far too dark – it’s hard to see where you’re going at times. Germany has a very cartoony look to it. Also, crowd noises are far too loud, you can’t hear your co-driver at the start of some stages.

- Certain rallies are completely lacking the unique features which define them – where are all the blind turns over crests in Finland, or the cambers in New Zealand?

- I’d like to be able to turn off the co-drivers ‘personality’ type speech. I just want them to read the notes, stop squealing when I tap a rock and keep their opinions to themselves. It breaks the immersion in the game. This isn’t helped by the fact that half the time what they say is rubbish anyway. They will say you’ve just driven a ‘terrible sector’ when you’ve just set a green time (I sometimes get the feeling the speech is generated by the sector before).

- It would be nice if the rallies were a bit longer (10 or more stages would be nice!).

- I don’t think you should be able to repair your car after every stage (CMR 2.0 had this down perfectly). Every other stage or every 3 stages would be good – you’d have to drive much more tactically and it would be far more realistic.

Minor niggles:

- Stages are labelled with the wrong names. It’s pretty obvious there’s only 3 stages to each rally which have just been reversed, but then the reversed version is not <stage name> 2, but another stage entirely. Is this a mistake or are they trying to pull the wool over our eyes?!

- The method for entering your name after setting a top 10 stage time is a pain – I can see why it’s been implemented like this but why not let us save a few preset names which we can then choose from instead of having to enter the name every time?

Pretty much spot on, SharkyOB. I too have spent quite a bit of time with this over the weekend and despite some niggles I've actually come away with a very positive opinion of the game.

I've already mentioned that the overall menu presentation isn't exactly slick but the in-game graphics are much better than on first impressions, not the best but more than functional (I like the destructible fences, clouds reflecting in puddles, good use of lighting). A few niggles include: When you cross the finishing line the game takes control of your car and sometimes doesn't stop it in time to avoid crashing it. Telling me I had a great sector when it was red and a bad sector when it was green. No car headlights or windscreen wipers. The game says that it has 'Authentic Weather Conditions' but I've yet to see any rain or snow, just wet/dry surface.

The biggest downer I can aim at the game is that in trying to give the player THE (comprehensive) rally experience it takes you a while to get to the cars that provide the thrills of rallying (in the 'Road To WRC' campaign anyway). See, what they've done for the single player campaign is start you off at the bottom in the J-WRC Class driving 2WD R2&R3 cars which are front wheel driven and so impossible to drift. You learn the stages, you learn to drive, you learn about surface types, etc, but so far I've raced more than 30 stages and I'm still using the these R2&R3 cars. I'm dying to get to the point where I get to move up the ranks and start in the P-WRC Class where I can flick the back-end around a corner and drift.

However at anytime you can do a Single Stage/Single Rally/Rally Championship/Time Trial in any class (J-WRC, P-WRC, S-WRC, and WRC), using any of the cars on all of the stages. It's here that I've been spending a fair bit of time racing the bigger, faster 4WD WRC cars and it's here that the game really shines. I am in rally driving heaven. It's fast, it's smooth, and best of all, it's tough. It really has captured that feeling of flying along on the very edge of control trying to shave a single second off of the best time. I've been doing a lot of Time Trialing racing one stage many times and getting better and better at flicking the car's end around corners but it's taken a lot of practice and it's going to take a lot more for me to learn to get the brake/throttle/counter-steering just right to take each and every corner of a stage perfectly and clinch my best possible time. Sure you could potter around the stages cleanly, not hitting a thing and getting an ok time, but when you check the online leaderboards and see that these people are beating your time by at least 10-15 seconds then you know you've got to seriously step up your driving skills. And WHAT a buzz it is to go flying over a jump in Finland in a 300bhp WRC car at full pelt, see a '3' turn left-hander coming up, then before you reach it dab the brake whilst turning the wheel right then harder left to shift the weight, foot off the brake and hard on the throttle, and feel your car going into a drift before the corner, and controlling the entire drift perfectly by feathering the accelerator and adjusting the level of countersteer until you're around the bend, then hard on the throttle and accelerating off down the straight. All with the in-car view. With a pad it feels great, but with a wheel it feels fantastic!

I like that the gears are semi-automatic so I can take control when I need to, I like how all the surface types feel so different, I like how thought has really been put into the design of stages, I like that there are so many modes of play offline & online (yes, even the 16 player online racing) and I like that I can download ghosts from the leader boards to race against.

This is not an arcade game, it's going to be tough to master and people will either bitch that it's handling is not full-on PC sim-like or bitch that it isn't as easy as Dirt 2, but if you're in the market for something in-between and enjoy the feeling of saving a fraction of second in your times navigating difficult terrain then I do actually recommend this game. There's a general feeling that things should have been a little bit better all round, and that I'd liked to have seen a leap forward in physics/graphics, but overall I think this is a great start to a series in a genre I've sorely missed.

The biggest downer I can aim at the game is that in trying to give the player THE (comprehensive) rally experience it takes you a while to get to the cars that provide the thrills of rallying (in the 'Road To WRC' campaign anyway). See, what they've done for the single player campaign is start you off at the bottom in the J-WRC Class driving 2WD R2&R3 cars which are front wheel driven and so impossible to drift. You learn the stages, you learn to drive, you learn about surface types, etc, but so far I've raced more than 30 stages and I'm still using the these R2&R3 cars. I'm dying to get to the point where I get to move up the ranks and start in the P-WRC Class where I can flick the back-end around a corner and drift.

Must admit I actually really like the FWD cars. You have to use a completely different driving style and be very precise and gentle with the throttle. However, I have got past these now and into the P-WRC cars. I am slightly in love with the Subaru!

Did a couple of online races last night too. Initial impressions are that it's very well implemented and has quite a lot of different modes. I was pleased that I could turn off the other players ghosts - I don't need the distraction when I'm trying to set good times.

Must admit I actually really like the FWD cars. You have to use a completely different driving style and be very precise and gentle with the throttle. However, I have got past these now and into the P-WRC cars. I am slightly in love with the Subaru!

Did a couple of online races last night too. Initial impressions are that it's very well implemented and has quite a lot of different modes. I was pleased that I could turn off the other players ghosts - I don't need the distraction when I'm trying to set good times.

I find the FWD difficult to drive at top speed approaching a corner. Braking too hard loses traction and I go into a slow spin that I can't counter-steer to correct. I find myself dabbing the brakes much earlier than 4WD's (obviously) and kinda tip-toeing around the bend. Basically, I like to drive aggressively and 2WD's don't allow for that. As you say, a different way of driving is needed.

The online player's ghosts are a distraction but I like seeing people go sailing off cliffs which warn me of dangers ahead. Plus I get to see how decent drivers take corners.

The online player's ghosts are a distraction but I like seeing people go sailing off cliffs which warn me of dangers ahead. Plus I get to see how decent drivers take corners.

Fair point, might have to turn them back on for a while at least. Won't get to play this again until Weds at the earliest :angry:

I find the FWD difficult to drive at top speed approaching a corner. Braking to hard loses traction and I go into a slow spin that I can't counter-steer to correct.

i had a problem controling the spins at first then remembered Fwd touring cars - to correct a spin you need to floor it! although that doesn't help on slowing down for corners i guess. (edit - noticed you mention at top speed, so maybe that won't help at all)

really enjoying this but agree with a lot of the negatives (and positives) mentioned by Karzee and Sharky too, it's a well needed comback for rally games but does have its problems.

also noticed the 4wd cars are a lot easier to control with a pad, i guess there's some sort of steering help going on, which is fair enough.

I can echo the brilliant impressions posted of late- great fun but with some flaws that would itch and niggle if you're a perfectionist.

Has anyone shelled out for the super cheeky day one dlc? I quite fancy the group B classics but feel aggrieved by the idea of spending money on something that should probably have come with game. I may buckle though- i am weak.

Yeah I went and got the DLC today, albeit through gritted teeth. I've decided I'm going to keep the game anyway and for 400MS points I just thought fuck it.

Favourite quote I've read about the game: "As a straight-up rallying experience it squirts hot, wet mud from its arse right into Codemasters' eyes"

also noticed the 4wd cars are a lot easier to control with a pad, i guess there's some sort of steering help going on, which is fair enough.

Last night doing the 'Road to WRC' I was still driving the 2WD races. I've got a wheel but I just can't seem to control these cars as well because I need to keep tapping the handbrake to get around sharp bends, so I use the pad. Then I earned my first 4WD and used it with the pad in Japan, and failed the rally twice. So I switched to the wheel and it was like a revelation, green on all sectors, and it felt wonderful.

Long story short, I find the wheel more precise and easier to steer at the perfect angle than I do using a pad.

Must admit I'm tempted by this game after watching the video review on insidesimracing (surely Jessica Lopez is chosen as a presenter purely because of the size of her tits, as she can't present for shit). It is a pisser that console owners need to buy that DLC though, where PC owners get it as part of the package, and they paid less to begin with.

I bought the DLC yesterday, tried one of the cars on a stage I knew well and quickly thought 'Sod. This'. They're very powerful (500hp compared to modern 300hp WRC cars) and the much tougher handling means it'll take a while to tame them. I'll save trying them again until I've rinsed the rest of the game.