FIA World Rally Championship

The Sarge

I've been playing this for a week now and wanted to say just how much I'm enjoying it, it really is a great rally game. I'm just over halfway through the 'Road to WRC' campaign and it actually does really well at easing you into the difficulty of the stages and handling the different car types. I'm at level 6/10 and it's getting very challenging now - not just in beating the AI but the stages are getting very technical. It's the right side of toughness and keeps pulling me back for one more go. I must have done about 160 stages now and I still haven't unlocked the WRC cars yet, which is fine by me because until I've mastered the slower cars they'd be way too tough for these stages I'm doing. Can't wait, though! This is a definite keeper for me purely for how fantastic it feels to drive one sector perfectly (let alone one stage). I'll say it again, if you like rallying then you can't go wrong with this game.

Check out this review from Inside Sim Racer. Bear in mind that they're really into their PC sim racing, but what they say is spot on, that it lacks the polish but the racing 'feel' is very good, and that to me is all that matters.

Skip forward to 8:30 for their review:

But... the pivot handling! It can't be unseen!

I might sound a bit like Meerman here (no offence buddy), but I just can't get over seeing my car twist on it's own axis to take take corners. Even pure arcade racing titles like Sega Rally don't do that!

I'm not going to say anything in here anymore.

*moseys on over to his paddock*

Oh, Joe? It's axis...not axle.

Fixed.

Seriously, I would like this game if it wasn't for the silly handling. It's got the legendary Group B rally cars et cetera, after all.

Joe isn't a hardcore racer at all. :P

I thought the demo of this was fine. Felt good, handling-wise, in cockpit view after a fiddle in the options. But I'm not going to pay full price for a game that doesn't tick all the needed boxes. Now I'm not a graphics whore, but I like my games too look at least up to what's considered 'standard' today. Even Race Pro looks better, and that game has rather last-gen graphics in places. Bargain bin buy for me, unfortunately.

Well those sim guys usually seem to know their stuff, and I'm surprised any hardcore racers here would be using a chase cam to see the pivot handling anyway ;)

The dudes on here always impress me tbh - I mean, I know a fair bit about real life stuff with work and what not but "Race Club" are the hardcore creme de la creme when it comes to the games :)

Demo seemed fun but not super polished. Cheap version in a few weeks me thinks.

Us real lifers think Mario Kart is the best ever btw ;)

Joe isn't a hardcore racer at all. :P

I thought the demo of this was fine. Felt good, handling-wise, in cockpit view after a fiddle in the options. But I'm not going to pay full price for a game that doesn't tick all the needed boxes. Now I'm not a graphics whore, but I like my games too look at least up to what's considered 'standard' today. Even Race Pro looks better, and that game has rather last-gen graphics in places. Bargain bin buy for me, unfortunately.

I'm more hardcore racer than you, just not that much into sims :)

Does not compute.

Oh come on. Let's not make a competition of showing who knows more about or plays more racing games. You are certainly the more experienced one, but I play and write about racing games for a living. We're both pretentious hardcore racers, only you prefer to tinker around with settings and have bits flying of your car, while I prefer to just floor it and kick the tail out in corners ;)

:lol:

I don't think either of you are that hardcore.

Joe doesn't play with a wheel, Meerman doesn't go PC (Or PS3) and that graphics diss is just wrong Meermy (although not in this case - it does have some redeeming attributes though)

I'm the one sitting here with all 3 machines and owing 3 wheels and playing all these proper sims.

It should be

Hardcore "you know the gamerscore"?

That said Meermy, Joe does know a bit more then you.

That RD review has me a bit shocked though. I may have to have to install RBR now and compare them because i didn't think it handled that great either.

I didn't bother tinkering with any settings mind. I will say some of the tracks ARE good. I did say that before - Greece 1 or whatever it was called was quite enjoyable because it has a nice variation and you drive into a stadium.

Where was I stating it was a competition? I just find it hard to understand that someone who's around real racing venues most days doesn't live and breathe sim racers (you know, the ones that are actually having a good go at mimicking the real thing). It baffles me somewhat. I'd kill for a job like yours, yet the closest I'll ever get is by playing these racing games. I'd be all over that shit.

:lol:

I don't think either of you are that hardcore.

Joe doesn't play with a wheel, Meerman doesn't go PC (Or PS3) and that graphics diss is just wrong Meermy.

I'm the one sitting here with all 3 machines and owing 3 wheels and playing all these proper sims.

It should be

Hardcore "you know the gamerscore"?

That said Meermy, Joe does know a bit more then you.

I would go PC if it wasn't too much effort setting the whole shit up on my TV.

Joe knows more about the racing world, you mean, surely. As that's true. At least my written English is more advanced than that of both of yours combined, eh? :P (poke, poke)

And thus there's shortcomings in all of us.

To Meerman, McSpeed, & Dimahoo.

I've read countless posts from you three discussing racers in depth, and your enthusiasm for the genre has inspired me to take chances on games I would have previously dismissed. In some way I've come to expect certain responses to different racers from you - you each come in from a different perspective that is both informative and entertaining - justifying your use of the Top Gear avatars.

But not now. Reading your comments about this game in this thread is an embarrassment and flys in the face of your usual objective outlooks. Your collective comments amount to no more that whiney, dismissive, snobby petulance. I thought you were the type of guys who could see through flaws and sniff out an excellent racing mechanic from 50 yards, but I was wrong.

The usual professional reviews state that the handling is very good.

That very objective review from sim racer posted above said the handling is very good.

People who have actually been playing the final game (not the demo) have said that the handling is very good.

I, who was expecting to trade it in quickly but ended up playing it solidly all week, say that the handling is very good.

But you three.....pfft....you harp on about graphics and pivots and sound, and say stupid things comparing it to Dirt 2....a game so bloody different you might as well say that Mario Kart isn't as good as Forza. You should be ashamed of yourselves, and not only do I think you should be stripped of those avatars, I'm in doubt whether I'll be able to take any of your views on a racer seriously again.

Guys, I AM DISAPPOINT.

Online is very good indeed. There's the TT'ing against times set by Friends and the whole world, of course. You know how good TT'ing is in F1 2010, well this to me is even better because it's much much harder, and unlike F1 where the average number of corners is around 18-20, in this there are well over 100! I can spend an evening TTing a track in F1 and can expect to get my best possible time with a few hours, but in WRC 2010 it's going to take weeks of practise to be able to string together every corner perfectly to post a record time. And even then you won't be able to do it everytime because turning a corner 'just right' requires the perfect amount of speed, throttle control, gear shifting, and counter-steering.....all on different terrain surfaces! Oh and there's 78 stages (tracks) to master. Once I've finished with the single player 'Road To WRC' campaign then it's here that I see myself spending the majority of my time attacking everybody's time. You can upload/download ghosts to race against as well.

The 16-player online racing is well done too with all of the usual options included. You can set up a room to do a single stage, a complete rally, or even a full championship filled with stages of your choice. You can set different levels of damage, which car groups (including the Group B's). You can have everyone visible (as ghosts) racing at the same time or you can set it so 4 of you doing it properly by setting off at intervals. I've yet to see any bugs and it's very smooth.

Dear Karzee,

My side of the argument is i will ALWAYS argue for anything that i feel betters the racing genre or at least is as good as the PC benchmarks of Rfactor or RBR.

Thats why Meermy's graphics comment is wrong because you could argue that by beinging the graphics or texutre details down, you could either improve the physics more OR up the framerate to arcade-like 60fps.

The fact is i get slightly riled at so-called "sim" games that waterdown the sim racing experience on a console to appeal to more people. I don't doubt that some of these games are still good fun (Dirt2, Forza3, F1 2010 and NFS Shift) and i'll happily play them anyway because by default i buy nearly all racing games - arcade or sim but it does annoy me when they call themselves the pinnacle of racing sims when they're not.

Console racing games are, at times, like the pop-music of the world. They blind people into missing whats really out there and whats really enjoyable if they took the time to look.

To make matters worse - just like in pop-music - many devs won't go down the full sim route for fear of people not wanting to play them which i feel is a bit soft.

Arcade game wise its obviously better, consoles are arcades - although many devs won't go down the 60fps route for fear they're have to forgo graphics, even though IMO it gives a more tactile experience and just feels amazing.

That said, there does seem to be more an more arcade type racers where the 30/60 argument is not applicable including Dirt 2 and Blur - mainly because the gameplay is so much more fun.

But from a videogamers point of view it really only stems from the fact we (or I) want a more powerful console and that this next two years will see the pinnacle of racing games on current machines and my fear is they will all concentrate on Move or Kinect, which could leave a gap where racing games stagnate and become dull.

I'm doing it for you Karzee. You the videogamer. It may not always sound like it, but i am.

Lots of love...

James_May_546795.jpg