FIA World Rally Championship

The Sarge

Its kinda hard to explain, but those real racing tracks were (mostly) designed for racing and because they're loops they're not overly hard to learn but the point is that you've got a history attached to them.

So you may read up on how - say - Clemont Ferrand's Charade circuit made some drivers sick because of its elevation and then play the Rfactor version and you can wholeheartly agree. Same with Eau Rouge, (or the deadly Masta kink of Spa 1967).

As you know we can't afford to race these circuits in real life (or they simply don't exist anymore) so to have this simulated at home gives the game an added connection and feeling of immersion.

I've said this before but its similar to reading a novella to say...Starglider 2 (an old Amiga game) then playing the game with its basic polygons and your head filling in the details from the novella because you've read about the space whales, or certain spaceships.

God yes - especially Brands Hatch for me - grew up nearby, saw everything from rallycross to WSB and F1 there, and been on a few trackdays. Until you've actually gone down Paddock Hill Bend you don't believe people when they say it feels like 'someone just sat on your shoulders' - and at the same time you're trying to look up and line yourself up for Druids...

Or Cadwell Park - finding yourself flying over The Mountain when you thought you were so slow you'd barely make it up the sodding hill....

Another example is Phillip Island (And the MotoGP race from today is still on BBC iPlayer for UK viewers/accessing a UK proxy)

I have to admit, I'm tempted with the idea of iRacing for that very reason - and also want to pick this game up. If only I wasn't occupationally-challenged right now with a dead Xbox....

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't buy a new house (Although I suspect the missus would take care of that) - I'd buy a garage near Brands, and one near the Nurburgring with a couple of cars and bikes for each, and then spend as much time as I could alternating between them for maximum track time! (I'd be a mobile chicane before hospitalising myself, but boy would it be fun...).

Oh, and incidentally, when it comes to circuits and immersion - the TT course is pretty good in TT Superbikes for that... a couple of minutes into the first lap and you'll forget anything exists except trying to remember where the next bend goes!

(Dimmy - how do I get you to write something for OnlineRaceDriver? )

Let it die. I'm the only one discussing it and the glove I threw down as a challenge to the RLLMUK Racing Clique to meet me on the Rally battlefield still lies there on the soft gravel track.

*Karzee sadly shakes his head, reflects for a moment on great days gone past racing against RLLMUK drivers who had balls, then gets into his Subaru Impreza, revs the engine hard, grins, and accelerates off, flicking the car sideways to drift around the next corner and disappears into the distance to find a challenger elsewhere. Silence remains. The spray of gravel left in his wake has covered the glove he'd thrown down, the only bit visible is the middle finger, waving in the breeze.*

Hey I always said I was interested in this game. But it is a really euro game. Prob won't even get it yea. We don't even have the demo. That Scandinavian flick karzee always talks about sounds awesome. Can't wait to try it out with a controller...

I still think this game is amazing and I'll be on tonight if you're up for some stages Karzee. Let's just keep this little diamond in the rough to ourselves eh?

*A stranger, high on rallying adrenaline, comes hurtling around the corner and screeches to a halt at the spot where Karzee had been. He gets out of his Lancia Delta S4, picks the glove up from the ground, shakes off the dust and stares at it for a moment. He looks at his awesome car, then at the glove, then at Karzee's dust trail in the far distance. He grins, jumps into his car laughing and says, "It's on, buddy, oh it's on alright". He revs his 500hp engine, screams out a "YEEE HAWWWWW", and speeds off.*

You need to do some for real - ultimate fun :)

Will pick this up next week.

*A man is sitting on a fence nearby. He knows how to rally, he's experienced the thrills in real life and knows it's the only true test of driving skill. Silently, he watched both driver's activities with interest, and as the second driver's engine roar subsides he mutters under his breath, "These boys ain't got what it takes to beat me". He grins, spits the matchstick from his mouth, and walks off with a skip in his step to make arrangements.*

Hey I always said I was interested in this game. But it is a really euro game. Prob won't even get it yea. We don't even have the demo.

*A lone American sitting on a rock nearby stares at the spot where the two drivers had been. He think to himself, "How is it possible to drive those....those....rockets with such skill around these tracks?". He's seen the driver's faces, seen how much fun they're having, and watched wide-eyed in awe at their derring-do, their sheer guts to drive like that. In his country they don't drive like this, they prefer driving around and around ovals. "I just don't got what it takes to compete with the likes of them", he says sadly, and walks dejectedly home .*

*A stranger, high on rallying adrenaline, comes hurtling around the corner and screeches to a halt at the spot where Karzee had been. He gets out of his Lancia Delta S4, picks the glove up from the ground, shakes the dust from it and stares at it for a moment. He looks at his awesome car, then at the glove, then at Karzee's dust trail in the far distance. He grins, jumps into his car laughing and says, "It's on, buddy, oh it's on alright". He revs his 500hp engine, screams out a "YEEE HAWWWWW", and speeds off.*

*A man is sitting on a fence nearby. He knows how to rally, he's experienced the thrills in real life and knows it's the only true test of driving skill. Silently, he watched both driver's activities with interest, and as the second driver's engine roar subsides he mutters under his breath, "These boys ain't got what it takes to beat me". He grins, spits the matchstick from his mouth, and walks off with a skip in his step to make arrangements.*

*A lone American sitting on a rock nearby stares at the spot where the two driver had been. He think to himself, "How is it possible to drive those....those....rockets with such skill around these tracks?". He's seen the driver's faces, seen how much fun they're having, and watched wide-eyed in awe and their derring-do, their sheer guts to drive like that. In his country they don't drive like this, they prefer driving around and around ovals. "I just don't got what it takes to compete with the likes of them", he says sadly, and walks off slowly home.*

Looks like some crazy fan fiction to me. I just know this is going to end with us all having sex.

Classic!

I'll stay on the fence mind - real life is easier than trying to keep up with you crazy fast games dudes!

Bloody good work. Thread of win :)

How bout we stay on topic here karzee...send me a ps3 copy. No region coding. Maybe I could put that $160 joystick to use!

Hang fast, it hasn't been decided yet whether it won't be released in the US.

Looks like some crazy fan fiction to me. I just know this is going to end with us all having sex.

You'll have to catch me first. [bravado mode] Which is never! [/bravado mode]

I'll stay on the fence mind - real life is easier than trying to keep up with you crazy fast games dudes!

I wouldn't be too sure about me being too fast, I've been acting all cocky to try to inspire people to give this a go where they'll not only see for themselves to see how good it feels to drive but also get a chance to come and kick my arse at it....which they possibly would.

F355-cainer/Harns said that he'd seen this for £25 online.

*Karzee sadly shakes his head, reflects for a moment on great days gone past racing against RLLMUK drivers who had balls, then gets into his Subaru Impreza, revs the engine hard, grins, and accelerates off, flicking the car sideways to drift around the next corner and disappears into the distance to find a challenger elsewhere. Silence remains. The spray of gravel left in his wake has covered the glove he'd thrown down, the only bit visible is the middle finger, waving in the breeze.*

With automatic gears :lol:

God yes - especially Brands Hatch for me - grew up nearby, saw everything from rallycross to WSB and F1 there, and been on a few trackdays. Until you've actually gone down Paddock Hill Bend you don't believe people when they say it feels like 'someone just sat on your shoulders' - and at the same time you're trying to look up and line yourself up for Druids...

Or Cadwell Park - finding yourself flying over The Mountain when you thought you were so slow you'd barely make it up the sodding hill....

Another example is Phillip Island (And the MotoGP race from today is still on BBC iPlayer for UK viewers/accessing a UK proxy)

I have to admit, I'm tempted with the idea of iRacing for that very reason - and also want to pick this game up. If only I wasn't occupationally-challenged right now with a dead Xbox....

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't buy a new house (Although I suspect the missus would take care of that) - I'd buy a garage near Brands, and one near the Nurburgring with a couple of cars and bikes for each, and then spend as much time as I could alternating between them for maximum track time! (I'd be a mobile chicane before hospitalising myself, but boy would it be fun...).

Oh, and incidentally, when it comes to circuits and immersion - the TT course is pretty good in TT Superbikes for that... a couple of minutes into the first lap and you'll forget anything exists except trying to remember where the next bend goes!

(Dimmy - how do I get you to write something for OnlineRaceDriver? )

The full Brands Hatch is a favorite of mine too - a lovely balance of fast and not to much slow. Its a shame i've not raced it on a trackday - unlike Silverstone, which i find far more dull.

And yeah i can write reviews and stuff as per PM. I used to write before so for a dedicated racing site i'd be more then happy to.

With automatic gears :lol:

And assists and driving lines and turn directions

You two run along now, there's nothing for you to do here and you're just annoying the grown-ups. Now shoo, go on, go play with your Kirby's or your little arcade racers. You've got 20 minutes then it's time for your bed.

£25? Do a Dutchman a favour, will ye?

I'm on it. I've found an online shop selling it for that price but just checking with them whether they can send it directly to you.

Pm me your address will you, it got lost when we changed forum servers.

• 7 months later...

I know i didn't half hammer this (negatively) owing to its somewhat stiff physics but the track selection utterly KILLS Dirt 3.

This is really what Dirt 3 should have been. If you've not played it...get it now while its cheap an we'll go online. Sure the physics arn't FANTASTIC but you learn em and they're not to bad. The stages are amazing.

Theres something like 14 countries with about 6 LONG stages each.

Going to grab this for the 360 now.

And erm....sorry Karzee. Looks like i was wrong here - i can overcome the physics afterall (and they're not that bad).

I'll probably get 2011 too...at release this time.

Yeah there is. The handling isn't quite what your used to, but i only ran with stock set ups.

So sure, try first.

But you can feather the cars rather well, even on the PC with a 360 pad - and its analog gas/brake - not digital or anything like that.

I know i didn't half hammer this (negatively) owing to its somewhat stiff physics but the track selection utterly KILLS Dirt 3.

This is really what Dirt 3 should have been. If you've not played it...get it now while its cheap an we'll go online. Sure the physics arn't FANTASTIC but you learn em and they're not to bad. The stages are amazing.

Theres something like 14 countries with about 6 LONG stages each.

Going to grab this for the 360 now.

And erm....sorry Karzee. Looks like i was wrong here - i can overcome the physics afterall (and they're not that bad).

I'll probably get 2011 too...at release this time.

I maintain that once you unlock the RWD you can 'Scandinavian Flick' the cars far more naturally and realistically than in Dirt 3. But I've said my piece on this game earlier in the thread. I like it. It's poorly presented, the initial FR cars are (obviously) difficult to drift and so not as fun for me, the Force Feedback can be a bit odd some times BUT once you use the RWD's, especially the very powerful ones, on the slippery mud stages of Japan, control-drifting perfectly around a hairpin or flicking the car in advance of a fast bend to absolutely nail it, then the game shines. This plus varied selection of stages makes up for the few issues I mentioned above. If you really like rally games then I recommend this (especially at the price it can be gotten for).

I didn't bother with the wheel - but i did the 6 stage rally in Wales (England?!) and came 7th, then 16th then 1st, 1st, 2nd and 3rd so it really kinda gelled.

It just feels a tad stiff (but only comapared to Dirt 2 and 3).

That said, weight transfer feels good once your used to it and i was only using stock settings rather then tuning it myself. The tracks are also fairly varied (they reuse assets within themselves) but then you get a nice mix of areas rather then just a forest with some houses and bridges.

And theres far more to avoid. Take the jumps...

You obviously get jumps but they're sometimes in very precarious positions. It doesn't feel like they've been edited so you get a jump bit and a straight bit.

You'll race over fast straight jumps but you'll also get jumps on roads with huge chasms along one side or rock dangers or within a rock cutting.

Then you get areas were the stage changes completely. Wales has mainly dirt, but changes to a casle (Conwy Castle?) with chicanes and various tarmac'd handbrake turns (which take some skill).

One of the earlier levels feature dirt, a motorway and an Arena (this one's in the demo IIRC).

None of this is new of course, but it doesn't exist in the other game and this highlights my "Bugbear" with companies dumbing down games.

But to be fair, Karzee has said this all along whereas i slated it to bits so if you buy it and like it - he should be credited as reviving it from the dead as he put me on to it.

I dare say with a wheel this is really good fun and very intense so 360 version he we come. I'll be about this week if Karzee or anyone is about for this and some NFS S2 action.

• 1 month later...

So I picked this up at the weekend in a 2 for £20 deal. I was tempted by how much I'd been enjoying dirt3 and a few of you had mentioned this was "better".

I've barely touched it so far but 1st impressions weren't great. A quick idea about how to approach this game re. the handling with a pad would be appreciated. Not necessarily setups or fiddling with options just an idea of what to expect and how to go about learning the difficulty curve.

In other news....

Varese, 17 June 2011 – Leading publisher Black Bean Games confirmed today that WRC 2, the official videogame of the 2011 FIA World Rally Championship, is set for release in October 2011. The sequel to the popular WRC title is currently being developed by Milestone and will be published exclusively by Black Bean Games for PlayStation®3, Xbox360™ and PC.

The 2011 edition of the official WRC videogame will feature all rallies of the 2011 World Rally Championship calendar with all the leading WRC team and drivers. WRC 2 – the Official Game will feature significantly more content than its predecessor with 90 stages, 15 different locations, 25 different terrain/ weather conditions and 9 car categories. Cars will range from the 1960s to the WRC models of the current Championship and the game contains new Game Modes, a 16-player online mode, a completely revamped Career Mode and many other improvements from last year in terms of contents, gameplay features and visual effects.

Luisa Bixio, Leader Spa Managing Director, adds: “There are millions of WRC followers and racing games enthusiasts all around the world and our ambition is to make them happy with our official products. Most of them simply can’t wait to know more about the next WRC episode. Following the International press and consumer feedback we collected after the 2010 edition release, everyone at Black Bean Games and Milestone, together with the North One Sport team, is doing the best to achieve the most important objective of this year: meeting the gamers expectations. We really want to deliver a state-of-the-art off-road motorsport experience which combines a great graphics impact, the best driving model in this genre and all the WRC elements from the current season such as all classes, drivers, all rallies as well as much more to enjoy such as the brand new Super Special Stages!”.

Simon Long, North One Sport CEO, says: “The 2010 WRC game put our sport back on the gaming map – and with WRC 2 we look to take this further. More realism, more detail and more variety is what we have seen in the studio so far this year. The new game is rich in WRC history, but also gives a glimpse of the future. With MINI taking on the established Citroën and Ford teams and the impending return of Volkswagen, the WRC is heading for a golden era and we want to take our WRC gamers on that journey too!”.

image_wrc_2-16460-2344_0003.jpg

image_wrc_2-16446-2344_0001.jpg

image_wrc_2-16446-2344_0002.jpg

image_wrc_2-16446-2344_0003.jpg

image_wrc_2-16446-2344_0004.jpg

image_wrc_2-16446-2344_0005.jpg

image_wrc_2-16460-2344_0001.jpg

image_wrc_2-16460-2344_0002.jpg

A quick idea about how to approach this game re. the handling with a pad would be appreciated.

handling is quite different to dirt 3 so might take some getting used to, it has more "propper rallying" stuff you can do like opposite lock is more helpful and flicking the car the wrong way before a corner (pendulum effect type stuff?) helps too. good luck! i usually used a wheel though :unsure:

• 2 months later...