Any Fantasy recommendations?

Monkeyboy

• 1 month later...

Bought a book for Kindle last night called 'Grace of Kings' by Ken Liu. It has received pretty strong reviews so I picked it up.

I'm about 100 pages in and it's pretty decent. It's mostly world building at this stage but the setting and the characters are interesting. It's set in an Asian-influenced universe (space China if you will) which makes a nice change from the standard European-esq settings I've been reading recently. It has a bit of a Game of Thrones feel to it (an ancient family who lost their power and now plot to return to the throne could be the Targerians). And it does that GRRM thing of mixing the interests of high and low characters on the same page.

Anyone read it?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked The Blade Itself for my first ever Fantasy book and it's just so good! I got it as an audiobook and I spend much of the day jonesing to carry on. Sometimes he'll make a ten second sequence last about ten minutes but I've such a clear image in my head of what is happening (the introduction of the fat king was especially memorable) and the only annoying time so far was an oh-so-long description of Glokta getting downstairs. I guess it conveyed how difficult it is for him, though. Anyway, it's amazing and I'm completely gripped.

I envy the first time Abercrombie readers/listeners!! He keeps getting better from there as well!

I'm about 20% of the way through The Way of Kings and its pretty good although Brandon Sandersons writing is workmanlike. You can tell that he rockets through his writing but its fairly entertaining inoffensive stuff.

• 1 month later...

I envy the first time Abercrombie readers/listeners!! He keeps getting better from there as well!

I'm about 20% of the way through The Way of Kings and its pretty good although Brandon Sandersons writing is workmanlike. You can tell that he rockets through his writing but its fairly entertaining inoffensive stuff.

I enjoyed that, and the second book in that series, but I did think that he could have halved the size and improved them.

Had last week off so got stuck back in to a bit of reading. Did the 'new' Terry Brooks which was alright, and also the second in Brian Mcclellan's Powder Mage trilogy "The Crimson Campaign". I can recommend the first one of that "Promise of Blood" if you want something a little bit different. You've got Gunpowder mages who basically 'snort' gunpowder to give them extra powers whilst using flintlocks or rifles!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading Daniel Polansky's Low Town trilogy, well-written fantasy noir series revolving around a war veteran drug kingpin as he investigates various happenings occurring within an archetypal fantasy city. Imagine Dashiell Hammet crossed with Joe Abercrombie and you get the idea. The mystery aspects of the stories are a little bit obvious, but the setting and characters are very evocative. Great hard-boiled dialogue too.

• 1 month later...

I'm about a third of the way through A Dance With Dragons and I'll be honest it's pretty slow going, which is really strange because the others (possibly apart from the first half of the first one) really flew by. It's not bad, I just don't feel very drawn in by most of it. Anyone else find this?

The game of thrones books have descended to a level where I no longer care if I ever read the next one if I'm honest, unless I hear it's back to the quality of the first books I'll probably not bother with it.

For me there's that compulsion to see how it ends though- especially after 5 (6) books- so even if the quality has dropped every book since the 1st one until they're tiresome to get through I'll still probably buy the new one in the 1st week of it's release.

For me there's that compulsion to see how it ends though- especially after 5 (6) books- so even if the quality has dropped every book since the 1st one until they're tiresome to get through I'll still probably buy the new one in the 1st week of it's release.

Also known as Wheel Of Time syndrome.

Something must happen in the next one.

Dance with Dragons became a real slog to get through, I'll carry on with the next ones as I'm a slow reader and I've come this far, but I hope it picks up again

The game of thrones books have descended to a level where I no longer care if I ever read the next one if I'm honest, unless I hear it's back to the quality of the first books I'll probably not bother with it.

I hadn't really noticed the quality of the writing dropping, seems pretty consistent. I think with aDwD it's more... (spoilered juuuust in case)

... that it seems to be progressing veerrryyy slowly without much to hold my interest. Hardly anything has happened with Jon Snow or Daenarys in about 5 chapters each. All of the iron islands stuff...? Really not sure why I should care at the moment. Reek - all his chapters seem quite samey, again with little progression. Tyrion - obviously great character but SO much build up to him getting to Daenarys. The bit where he's living with Illryio seems like years ago. Though the scene where he hires a prostitute and throws up everywhere was grim but powerful, I thought. He's far more destructive at this point than how they depicted him in the TV series, so that I like.

I like the prospect of all the people on the way to Daenerys finally finding her, that's exciting, but that's just about all I'm hanging on for currently. Although last night I read a really excellent chapter about Bran and the children of the forest. Proper imaginative fantasy stuff. Really liked it. So hopefully it starts to pick up from here.

Perhaps it's just that there's not enough Stannis.

• 6 months later...

Anyone read the first two books of The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss?

I've listened to them on Audible, about 75 hours in total(!) Really well read and a pretty absorbing world but overall I found it so underwhelming compared to Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch and Brandon Sanderson. It's way, way too drawn out and could be half the length losing nothing. Doesn't help that the main character is a bit of a cocky, unfunny douche and that he spends half his time cringing it up with his crush.

Going for book 2 of The Stormlight Archive next, the first was great and has really stayed with me.

12 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Anyone read the first two books of The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss?

I've listened to them on Audible, about 70 hours in total. Really well read and a pretty absorbing world but overall I found it so underwhelming compared to Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch and Brandon Sanderson. It's way, way too drawn out and could be half the length losing nothing. Doesn't help that the main character is a bit of a cocky, unfunny douche.

Going for book 2 of The Stormlight Archive next, the first was great and has really stayed with me.

The Name of the Wind is a great book and one of my favourite modern fantasies - its such a nice balance between the grittier stuff of Abercrombie and lighter whimsy.

Sadly he lost his way in an endless cycle of rewrites and The Wise Man's Fear is a bloated disappointment in comparison - and its now been four years and the third book still isn't out - which given when he delivered TNOTW all three books were already completely written thats a lot of rewriting

I read them as well and mostly enjoyed them, but I'm a bit worried I'll have forgotten the important things by the time book 3 is released and I can't really be arsed to read them again..

The romance stuff in both is pretty bad, they're the parts I had to struggle through. 

They're still beautiful and engaging stories mind you and I also thought  about reading the shorter tie-ins , has anyone here read those? 

Yeah, 'The Slow Regard of Silent Things'.  It's a nice little profile piece on the character, but doesn't really tell you anything new about the wider world or plots from the main novels. 

I noticed that Patrick Rothfuss was doing a twitter survey yesterday asking his readers to let him know their favourite plot lines from 'The Name of the Wind'. Not any of the other books or stories based in that world, just the first book. Looks like he's still doing a lot of rewriting on the third. Although if it gives us a tighter more focused story then I won't begrudge it. Generally with fantasy authors once they start to bloat and meander in their stories it only gets worse and worse. Wouldn't it be nice if that didn't happen here. 

On 4/26/2016 at 10:10 AM, Danster said:

Cool, Abercrombie's new short story collection has been delivered to my Kindle! :)

This is really rather good... excellent return to the first law universe. Some great new characters, and old ones and cameos, marvellous.