rllmuk
Monkeyboy

Any Fantasy recommendations?

The Magicians, The Magicians Wotsit, The Magician's Land - Lev Grossman

First book is Hogwarts for depressed, insanely bright outcasts; crossed with a bit of Narnia. Works well.

Second book is what happens if you're not able to get into Narnia, and starts to get much more into myth rather than just Narnia.

Third book commits to the premise, discarding CS Lewis entirely and trampling on the corpse.

Quite enjoyed them (I can usually tell, because I'll blow through a trilogy in a weekend rather than over the course of a few months).

First couple of episodes of the TV series (which I started watching in parallel with starting the second book) didn't grab me though.

On 17/06/2018 at 11:49, footle said:

The Magicians, The Magicians Wotsit, The Magician's Land - Lev Grossman

First book is Hogwarts for depressed, insanely bright outcasts; crossed with a bit of Narnia. Works well.

Second book is what happens if you're not able to get into Narnia, and starts to get much more into myth rather than just Narnia.

Third book commits to the premise, discarding CS Lewis entirely and trampling on the corpse.

Quite enjoyed them (I can usually tell, because I'll blow through a trilogy in a weekend rather than over the course of a few months).

First couple of episodes of the TV series (which I started watching in parallel with starting the second book) didn't grab me though.

Same - i liked the books a lot.  They're a lot less full of hipster bullshit than the TV series and develop the characters massively. 

Hi all, just finished listening to Best Served Cold for a second time, and I think I might finally have to move on from solely listening to Stephen Pacey read Joe Abercrombie books (sad face). Would anyone like to recommend any other fantasy audiobooks? I downloaded the first of the Red Queen's War (as I really loved reading the Broken Empire trilogy) but I think I may have to read that one, as the narrator irritated me so much in the first ten minutes I had to turn it off. So, any fantasy audiobooks with awesome narrators?

• Upvote 1

On 10/07/2018 at 16:58, John0 said:

Hi all, just finished listening to Best Served Cold for a second time, and I think I might finally have to move on from solely listening to Stephen Pacey read Joe Abercrombie books (sad face). Would anyone like to recommend any other fantasy audiobooks? I downloaded the first of the Red Queen's War (as I really loved reading the Broken Empire trilogy) but I think I may have to read that one, as the narrator irritated me so much in the first ten minutes I had to turn it off. So, any fantasy audiobooks with awesome narrators?

The Lies of Locke Lamora. Thank me later.

• Upvote 4

Oh interesting. I did listen to the first one and did enjoy it, but was kinda happy to leave it at that. Loved the beginning and middle, but I felt it got a touch cliché and sentimental towards the end. But that may be unfair..? Was quite a while ago. The narration was excellent though! What's the general consensus on the rest of the series?

I've started the Dresden Files and am enjoying it so far. The premise of a wizard private detective is very cool and the narrator's tired and cynical style is quite nice.

From what I remember the author was delayed in writing the second due to both of his parents being diagnosed with cancer. First one who recovered, then the other. While the second was recovering, the first, his mum I think, relapsed and passed away.

By the time the second book came out he'd been through years of emotional turmoil and depression. That shows in the finished sequel whichis very dark and grim. It's a very different book and best not read if you want to keep good memories of the characters you enjoyed as they were at the end of Lies.

• Upvote 1

Well, albeit under horrible circumstances, that actually sounds quite intriguing to me. I like a bit of bleak. Cheers for the reply, might check the second one out next.

Re: Dresden Files. I'm mostly liking it, but I find myself wondering it it's self-aware in its sexism? As in, is it a deliberate trait of the main character, and if so, why? My eyebrows raised in the second or third scene where he states that "women hate easier than men". And every women he's come across so far is sultry or sexual in some way (except for the cop). He's constantly talking about how much each female character arouses or attracts him (or not). It's not enough to stop, but it just seems a touch... off, to me, I guess. At first I thought it was set in the 70s or something, but it seems modern day, and so a touch out of place.

Also 4 quid on kindle is The Collected Joe Abercrombie - contains The First Law trilogy and the follow up three books set in the same universe. Absolute bargain.

Link.

• Upvote 5

On 12/08/2018 at 18:51, sammy said:

Also 4 quid on kindle is The Collected Joe Abercrombie - contains The First Law trilogy and the follow up three books set in the same universe. Absolute bargain.

Link.

I've got the first three already but have bought this deal as it's a steal for the later trilogy.

I always end up buying something when I come into this bloody thread!

Can anyone recommend anything similar to the Joe Abercrombie books? Love his stuff but have read it all and fancy something similar. 

Mark Lawrence is pretty good. Start with Prince of Thorns 

The other half has raved Kings of the Wyld as well to me. And a book called The Grey Bastards. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OogyBoogy said:

If you haven't given Erikson a try, start with Gardens of the Moon, you just might get sucked in.

Just prepare to give up a year of reading nothing else. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Just prepare to give up a year of reading nothing else. 

Worth it though, loved the series and even ICE's extra books expanding the world. His recent trilogy starting with Dancer's Lament have been brilliant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Headache said:

Worth it though, loved the series and even ICE's extra books expanding the world. His recent trilogy starting with Dancer's Lament have been brilliant.

Oh no doubt it’s worth it. Though for to consider reading ICEs book published since the main series finished would mean a complete reread and that’s a hell of a commitment.

The Dancer's Lament trilogy takes place in the leadup to Gardens of the Moon so you could read those before the main series. They're shorter and more focused books than the main series with its epic sweep, huge cast, and massive page count. As a lead in to the Malazan world it's not bad, although I think learning about how the Malazan Empire began, and especially Kellanved and Dancer, is best done through the main series. It's like layers being peeled away and you feel like you're constantly learning more and more, discovering for yourself, and figuring out what's going on.

I know Gardens especially can be a frustrating book for many people because it makes you work (and then book 2 drops you in a new part of the world and you have to go through all that work again!) I loved it though. Reading the prequels now fleshes out and explains things I'd been curious about all along. I think if I'd read them first I might have not been so drawn into the series as the mystery behind the Malazans and their old ruler just wouldn't have been there.

Seriously can't wait for Kellanved's Reach which is due early next year. I've been looking forward to the third part of this trilogy much more than I have for Erikson's final part of his Ascendancy trilogy.

14 minutes ago, Headache said:

Seriously can't wait for Kellanved's Reach which is due early next year. I've been looking forward to the third part of this trilogy much more than I have for Erikson's final part of his Ascendancy trilogy.

The third Kharkanas book has been put on hold, instead, Erikson is working on a Karsa Orlong book, possibly a Toblakai Trilogy.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OogyBoogy said:

The third Kharkanas book has been put on hold, instead, Erikson is working on a Karsa Orlong book, possibly a Toblakai Trilogy.

Good to know! Hmmm... I'm not that bothered by hearing that news. Karsa's an interesting one to focus a book on, I found him hit and miss in the main series. Boring and annoying at first, growing to be more interesting as his character and story developed, and then well used towards the end as a force of nature that came along and blew up everyone else's plans. I don't really know what story there is left to tell about him. I'll probably still buy and read it to find out though.

On 12/07/2018 at 09:10, Headache said:

Just don't bother with the rest of the series after that.

I've really enjoyed all of them. He's taking his sweet time with the next one though, not sure if there's anything going on in his life again stopping him. It's been 5 years now since book 3 came out and he's got it marked down as a 7 book series.

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I've really enjoyed all of them. He's taking his sweet time with the next one though, not sure if there's anything going on in his life again stopping him. It's been 5 years now since book 3 came out and he's got it marked down as a 7 book series.

I have about 30 audiobooks I've not listened to and I'm seriously considering starting Gentlemen Bastards again. :wub:

• Upvote 3

On 02/04/2018 at 20:48, Harsin said:

Second the recommendation for Senlon Ascends. Cracking read.

I'm currently reading this thanks to recommendations in this thread. It's excellent!