rllmuk
Monkeyboy

Any Fantasy recommendations?

So I've made a massive fuck up and need some advice from the people who have read this series.

Somehow I've listened to 15 hours of my latest audiobook series (The Mistborn series) to only realise I've been listening to book 3 and not book 1. But the way it introduced characters and talked about history it could have easily been book 1. It does talk about past events but I presumed these were just things from well in the past that we learn about via the characters chatting. Obviously I've just found out that in fact all this stuff actually happens in book 1 and 2. 

Fuck knows why I didn't notice this. I don't feel out the loop on anything at all and am still enjoying it but do I stop and listen to the other 2 books (55hrs) or just read a synopsis of them and call it an error. 

• Upvote 1

Finished A Little Hatred the other day, finally.

Spoiler

Shivers! :wub:

Wonderful :(

Some great new characters and old ones tagging along. Some good social commentary with the haves and have-nots and the industrialisation of the world. 

A bit of war, some laughs, some gut-wrenching moments and some traitorous bastards - A little hatred indeed.

Amazing reading again - just brilliant. I love listening to these books so much because of Pacey's reading and Abercrombie's writing complementing each other so well.

• Upvote 1

I finished A Little Hatred recently and enjoyed every minute of it. Just classic chapter or three in bed before slumber fodder. I'm hoping he takes things further afield in the next books though, I wanna see more of the wider world. Maybe he's saving stuff in the tank for some future standalones. 

• Upvote 1

I started The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan over the weekend and I'm about 30% into it. Some standard fantasy tropes (3 thieves on a mission to steal an object) mixed with some nice Lovecraftian horror and a real Soulsborne atmosphere. I'm liking it but not exactly burning through it. Anyone read it? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I started The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan over the weekend and I'm about 30% into it. Some standard fantasy tropes (3 thieves on a mission to steal an object) mixed with some nice Lovecraftian horror and a real Soulsborne atmosphere. I'm liking it but not exactly burning through it. Anyone read it? 

Hadn't heard of it but a motley band of thieves with some dark world-building is right up my street. Interested to know what you think when you've finished it.

On 21/01/2020 at 22:22, SM47 said:

I finished A Little Hatred recently and enjoyed every minute of it. Just classic chapter or three in bed before slumber fodder. I'm hoping he takes things further afield in the next books though, I wanna see more of the wider world. Maybe he's saving stuff in the tank for some future standalones. 

I believe this is the first of a new trilogy. Be interesting to see where he takes it.

• Upvote 1

On 03/02/2020 at 10:02, Silent Runner said:

I have, I quite enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for imaginary cities and imaginary criminal organisations though so maybe I was being very forgiving. It's imaginative in all the right ways I thought, little bit on the weird side with the Tallowmen and such. The sequel has just come out so I'm gonna read it for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the city is the star I think. I liked how multi-layered it was, the endless underground and the churches towering over it. Some of the plotting was a little weak but I am enjoying it. 

On 03/02/2020 at 15:08, Kzo said:

Hadn't heard of it but a motley band of thieves with some dark world-building is right up my street. Interested to know what you think when you've finished it.

I don't think I'll finish it. I sometimes hit a point in fantasy books where I feel like it's shown me everything it has to show and there's still a few hundred pages to go. And I hit that point a few chapters back. My short review; great city and world building but lacking plot and characters. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I don't think I'll finish it. I sometimes hit a point in fantasy books where I feel like it's shown me everything it has to show and there's still a few hundred pages to go. And I hit that point a few chapters back. My short review; great city and world building but lacking plot and characters. 

Not forcing yourself to finish a book you are no longer interested in... how do you learn this power?

• Upvote 3

On 10/02/2020 at 16:19, Kzo said:

Not forcing yourself to finish a book you are no longer interested in... how do you learn this power?

I rarely finish books. I wish I could push myself a little more. Grass is always greener.

• Upvote 1

So being isolated thanks to the virus means I'm going to have time to get through a few books hopefully.  Ones I've got my eye on are :-

An Echo of things to come.  Book 2 in the licanius trilogy started with "The Shadow Of What was lost".

The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding

Blood of Empire by Brian Mclellan.

Thing is not sure which one to get first!

Thought Blood Of Empire was really good. Whole series is pretty strong.

• Upvote 1

Echo of things to come, then immediately onto the just released concluding volume.

• Empathy 1