IGNORED

Parks and Recreation

roskelld

parks-recreation.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_and_Recreation

Parks and Recreation is an American comedy television series. It was co-created by Greg Daniels and Michael Schur, part of the creative team on The Office. Despite initial speculation it would be a spin-off of The Office, the two programs are not related beyond the fact both shows share a similar mockumentary style. Parks and Recreation has been picked up by NBC for a second season.[1] Season 2 premiered Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM ET.[2]

The series follows Leslie Knope, the deputy director of the Parks and Recreation department in the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana.[3] Knope takes on a project with a nurse named Ann to turn an abandoned construction pit into a park, while trying to navigate her way through the local government.

This show is really starting to shine now it's into the second season. The characters are really getting rounded off and the storylines are great.

The first 4 episodes are a bit slow, but it's well worth sticking with as it starts to stride from then on.

i caught an episode of it once...one of the early ones in the first season, i'd say. leslie was giving a tour of the pit and fell in, but was unable to climb out..or something. it did have a very 'office'-y feel to it, but not as facepalmingly painful. (best way i could think of to describe it) i'll have to give it another try from the beginning!

I caught the gay penguin episode that opened the new season and didn't like it at all. It was probably a bad episode to pick it up on, seeing as I didn't understand any of the ongoing storylines, but it felt like a terribly substandarad Office rip-off. The main character was just a female Michael Scott without any of his likeability.

It's one that you have to give a chance.

I'd have given up on it if it weren't for my mate who'd watched the whole of the first season, egging me on.

It does start slow and struggles to establish the characters, but they've overcome that now and all the main cast are really coming their own. Leslie does have a lot of Michael Scott-isms, but she's her own character as well, very much likeable.

Thought the show was kind of lame the 1st season, but this season has been much better. Last weeks episode where they dug dirt on each other was hilarious,

especially Ron's Sax man routine

. Last nights episode where the Venezuelan parks department visited was also pretty good. Very like the US Office though, but with Amy Poehler instead of Steve Carell.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

When will you people learn? roskelld knows what he's talking about.

I've just got around to this and went through the first season as well as the first couple of Season 2 over the last few days. Oh my, it's wonderful. I was really enjoying it already but The Stakeout (episode 2 of Season 2) completely confirmed that this has the potential to be a real gem. Ron effing Swanson's hernia was the highlight; the hamburger toss absolutely slayed me. He's the standout character so far, along with Tom Haverford who just makes me smile whenever he's on screen.

I take the points about The Office. Yes, it's very similar in style/format and Amy Poehler is essentially playing Michelle Scott (although that's understandable to an extent as Greg Daniels is behind it and I believe it was originally going to be an Office spin-off set in another branch). But forget that. It totally stands on its own two feet from what I've seen so far.

For those that haven't bothered with it, grab a few episodes and give it a go. For those that have only dipped in for the odd episode give it another go. Especially you, Campfire Burning -- I'm convinced you'd like it.

EDIT: Plus, of course, the introduction of Louis CK in The Stakeout -- what's not to like?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone still watching this? Season 3 has been an absolute belter so far. Swanson just going from strength to strength. The Four Horsemeals of the Eggporkalypse being a particular highlight.

I can't remember the last show that managed to add two brand new main characters so effortlessly, both Ben and Chris are absolutely bloody brilliant.

Another week sails by and Community gets its regular topic bumping, whilst Parks & Rec slips back and gets ignored. Why on earth is this show not getting any attention here? Like Community, week in week out it puts every other sitcom to utter shame. Plus this week was the second Ron and Tammy episode, literally one of the best episodes of comedy I have ever seen. For shame!

Also, Ron at the library:

Jack: "It appears you have an overdue book..."

Ron: "I do?"

Jack: "Its Not the Size of the Boat: Embracing Life with a Micropenis"

Ron: "Tammy..."

Show is just getting better and better. Can't think of any character pairings which don't have a fantastic dynamic.

It's the best comedy on TV for me at the moment by a fair stretch. Community is wonderful when it nails it, but the second season has been a bit patchy whereas Parks and Rec has been consistently fantastic since the beginning of Season Two.

EDIT: Also, from the flu episode:

"I put your symptoms into this search engine and it seems like you might have 'Internet Connectivity Problems'."

I'm so glad that they've evolved Andy past the slacker boyfriend role he filled in Season One. He's amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank RLLmuk for putting me onto this show, it's excellent. Lesley is brilliant and the rest of the cast are pretty much her equal. Sadly I've burnt through all available episodes in about 3 weeks and am now reliant on the US schedulers, never a good thing.

New episode in the US tonight, guys. That's pretty good news right? Well here's some better news: extended cuts of some future episodes will be available online following the NBC broadcasts.

http://splitsider.com/2011/03/parks-and-rec-getting-extra-length-producers-cuts/

Oh, and some betterer news. How do you fancy a fourth season? Ah, go on then:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/17/parks-and-recreation-community-and-the-office-earn-pickups-for-fall/

New episode in the US tonight, guys. That's pretty good news right? Well here's some better news: extended cuts of some future episodes will be available online following the NBC broadcasts.

http://splitsider.com/2011/03/parks-and-rec-getting-extra-length-producers-cuts/

Oh, and some betterer news. How do you fancy a fourth season? Ah, go on then:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/17/parks-and-recreation-community-and-the-office-earn-pickups-for-fall/

THANK THE FUCKING LORD! Parks and Rec completely and utterly knocked it out of the park last night, again, like it has done, for the past 30-odd episodes.