IGNORED

Parks and Recreation

roskelld

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking hell this is so funny. Just seen 'the beauty contest' and 'practice date' on BBC4. April's impression of Leslie and just Leslie being Leslie on the practice date had me in absolute stitches. I'm starting to love all the characters. Haven't felt this way about a show since Arrested Development.

• 3 weeks later...

Why didn't anyone tell me this show existed? I mean jesus christ, go ahead and let me download terrible, terible seasons of The Office for years, but don't bother telling me about this! I'm really out of touch with American TV now.

I'm at... ugh... BBC4 speed. Probably too futile to catch up to any other speed.

• 2 weeks later...

A few posts ago I said I'd just discovered the show and I was at BBC4 speed. Well screw that. Now I'm all caught up :)

It really is an awesome show. I like how positive and friendly it is -- the humour doesn't come from misery or meanness (except maybe toward Jerry). It's about friends.

I think it has a lot in common with The Simpsons, in the way that Pawnee/Springfield builds up a lot of recurring characters and references, and it playfully satirises American institutions and behaviours. As the seasons go on and the overall 'character' of Pawnee grows it becomes funnier and funnier, until just the sight of Perd Hapley makes me smile deeply (yes, I'm a Perd-vert). I even love - to hate - Jean-Ralphio. The horrific murals! Li'l Sebastian!

I know it's eventually going to turn rubbish like The Office did, simply because that's what happens when they have to write 100+ episodes of material. Characters turn into caricatures of themselves, the humour gets too silly. It's already happening by season 5.

I've checked a few forums and it seems that NOBODY in the UK is even watching this on BBC4. Some people tuned in for season 1 and didn't like it (understandable -- season 1 didn't get it right at all), and the viewing figures are nothing. The BBC probably won't buy more seasons.

A few posts ago I said I'd just discovered the show and I was at BBC4 speed. Well screw that. Now I'm all caught up :)

It really is an awesome show. I like how positive and friendly it is -- the humour doesn't come from misery or meanness (except maybe toward Jerry). It's about friends.

I think it has a lot in common with The Simpsons, in the way that Pawnee/Springfield builds up a lot of recurring characters and references, and it playfully satirises American institutions and behaviours. As the seasons go on and the overall 'character' of Pawnee grows it becomes funnier and funnier, until just the sight of Perd Hapley makes me smile deeply (yes, I'm a Perd-vert). I even love - to hate - Jean-Ralphio. The horrific murals! Li'l Sebastian!

I know it's eventually going to turn rubbish like The Office did, simply because that's what happens when they have to write 100+ episodes of material. Characters turn into caricatures of themselves, the humour gets too silly. It's already happening by season 5.

I think the latest season is one of the best there is. I love this show so much, as you've said, it's so rare to have such a warm and friendly show.

The Pawnee-ian's themselves are great I love it any time they have a town forum.

Hearing the theme tune to it just makes me happy.

I gave up midway through season 4. I felt it had become just a series of zany, convoluted setups to force characters together. And it lost the charm and lightness of season 1-3. Rob Lowes sub-Chandler from Friends schtick was majorly annoying. I’ll probably go back when I’ve exhausted everything on Netflix.

I "found" P&R via 30 Rock, when they did the live special and Amy Poehler guest starred with a plug from Tina Fey at the end. I used to think 30 Rock was the best thing on TV since Arrested Development, but after watching two seasons of P&R, I found the 30R characters almost all totally unlikable. I'll admit that the show isn't always at its best, but S5 has some of the best Ron Swanson moments ever, and it's worth watching for those alone (You're on with Ron, The Ring Thing).

It may be in danger of jumping the shark, but it's still water-skis on the water right now.

I gave up midway through season 4. I felt it had become just a series of zany, convoluted setups to force characters together. And it lost the charm and lightness of season 1-3. Rob Lowes sub-Chandler from Friends schtick was majorly annoying. I’ll probably go back when I’ve exhausted everything on Netflix.

andy2ktfom.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i started watching it on US Netflix a few days ago and i'm on season 3 already. this year i've burned through Community, Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny. there's nothing left! anyway, i agree but the positivity is what put me off at first; i'm so used to British humour like Peep Show deriving from humiliation and failure (i love being British) that i wrote this off at first as soppy, gentle and a little boring. it took me a few episodes to really get it, but now i love it, and it is nice to see a funny show that isn't relentlessly depressing and cynical. i'm particularly fond of the relationship between Ron and April (would wife).

• 2 weeks later...

It's because people get genuinely attached to the characters, which is hitting the jackpot in this scenario. It could become absurdly contrived, and a lot of fans would still happily watch as an excuse to see those characters.

They could start with a voiceover saying: "Ok, we're not going to explain why, but Ron, Tom, and Andy are chasing a mole around a cruise ship." and I'd be perfectly happy.

It's hard to argue that the series lost it's charm entirely when the burgeoning relationship between Leslie and Ben is possibly the high point of the entire show.

some of the plot contrivances were retarded like Tom and Anne, and it has definitely run out of normal stories. I guess it's what happened to The Simpsons too. I could watch Ron forever though and nearly pissed myself the other day in that episode where he goes on TV to plug a benefit for Leslie.

I also love that in this show positivity isn't something people make fun of. Chris in any other show would be a loathsome idiot but he's my second favourite character in this and I want to follow his life philosophy.