IGNORED

Parks and Recreation

roskelld

• 2 months later...

Seen Lowe and Jones are appearing in a few episodes in the final season. Seems really pointless that they left considering they'd have only had another 15 or so episodes to film.

It was a cost-cutting move (although Schur denies it). Those extra 15 episodes would have cost the production company something like $1.5m in salary. It's also rumoured that Lowe is a massive pain in the ass and didn't get along with Poehler.

I think Lowe is making up for it by appearing in cringeworthy adverts for DirecTV.

I love those adverts, but then compared to the other dreadful adverts for fast food and insurance I have to sit though when I watch American sports, anything would seem good.

I saw the annoying shouty man is in the last season, he has to be the worst character introduced into a sitcom ever.

It was a cost-cutting move (although Schur denies it). Those extra 15 episodes would have cost the production company something like $1.5m in salary. It's also rumoured that Lowe is a massive pain in the ass and didn't get along with Poehler.

I read Poehler's book and she talks through P&R quite a lot, but Rob Lowe is literally mentioned about once. Lots of gushing about everyone else. It didn't stick out or anything, but it would tie in if true.

I watched the first 15 mins of Nick Offerman's comedy special, American Ham, this weekend. I'm now convinced that 90% of Ron Swanson's charm is actually in skilled writing, rather than Offerman's delivery.

I didn't stick with the stand-up show because he came across as incredibly smug, and I was worried that I might ruin Swanson forever.

I read all the advice about skipping the first season, but wanted to give it a go. I watched the pilot then skipped straight to season 2. I've rewatched many episodes since but haven't gone back and filled in the season 1 gap.

I'd say from my position of ignorance...watch it if you want, but nothing that happens matters. Character relationships that define the show are cemented in season 2 onward.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Err that Karate Andy episode was shit.

But I really came in hear to pay homage to Harris Wittels. He was a staff writer on Parks, and also had a recurring cameo as Harris the stoner. He also wrote on two of my other favourite sitcoms of recent times, Eastbound and Down and The Sarah Silverman Show.

He died of a drug overdose yesterday at the age of 30. Today Marc Maron rereleased the WTF with him from a few years back and it's fairly chilling to hear him be so casual about his drug use, but when he goes into his background it's not really surprising.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/remembering_harris_wittels

What? No! The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show episode was brilliant.

It gave us two of the best commercial ads in recent times in the form of these two beauties.

It had amazing Burt Macklin lines like "I don't understand what's the problem Officer, just drain the ocean!", and "I don't give a crap Batman, you work for me!"

There was Ben getting knighted and then quietly freaking out in the background as the show continued on around him. Not to forget seeing Ron very, very disturbed after very nearly getting hugged by Andy. April's face after yet another of her animals is missing, loose somewhere in the studio. There were so many good laughs throughout the episodes, and it was great the way the whole episode was kept structured inside Andy's show.

Really solid finale.

I'm glad they never addressed the quasi-documentary style format of the show. It worked and didn't need an explanation. I'm not strongly against laugh tracks in shows like a lot of people seem to be, but I love how this used characters glancing at the camera to achieve the same effect. Half of my favourite moments were just people glancing at the camera.

CvMpvNh.jpg

Little Starlord at Andy's door!