IGNORED

Parks and Recreation

roskelld

6 minutes ago, Sartre84 said:

I may well be alone on this but Tom was the one character that I couldn't take to throughout. I didn't find him funny. Jean Ralphio was at least funny sometimes even though he was equally obnoxious.

What were your oh no nos?

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/03/2018 at 11:58, Charliemouse said:

Finding a legal way to watch Community without having to buy the DVDs is such a pain in the arse, if it was on any of the streaming services, I would happily never stop watching the first few seasons.

This has dropped to a much more palatable £19.99 for all six seasons on iTunes now. It was £70 or £80 before. 

• 6 months later...

I probably do a watch through once a year or so. Best sitcom ever as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, I never rewatch the final series - season 6 ended perfectly and 7 felt massively tacked-on. It seemed intent on tying everything up in a neat little package (above plot and comedy) which was never really the P&R way, and quite frankly wasn't funny. The Johnny Karate episode was horrendous.

3 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I probably do a watch through once a year or so. Best sitcom ever as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, I never rewatch the final series - season 6 ended perfectly and 7 felt massively tacked-on. It seemed intent on tying everything up in a neat little package (above plot and comedy) which was never really the P&R way, and quite frankly wasn't funny. The Johnny Karate episode was horrendous.

I thought the final two episodes were a bit disappointing, but otherwise really liked the last season. I thought it was right to have a farewell season, revisiting all the old characters. I watched most of it on a plane and was laughing out loud like a loon. Leslie and Ron, and Ron and Jammy were particularly great. 

• 5 months later...

For me, I dropped out the first time I tried to watch it. It's like watching early Simpsons where the voices are all wrong. 

I had to be convinced to go back with S2. And then the love affair began. Well, back end of S2.

I suppose you could say: "watch S1, if you've got the time, but don't be disheartened. It becomes something much better." I'll never rewatch S1, just like I don't rewatch It's Always Sunny before Frank arrived.

I'm halfway through season 3 for the first time. Skipped season 1 as that's what everyone told me to do and I didn't feel like I missed anything. There's a couple of plot threads at best that I felt probably continued from season 1 but it's not exactly hard to pick up.

It's very, very good. At the rate I'm going through it I probably won't be done with it for as good year or so though, since I only really watch a couple of episodes a week.

I’m currently on my 3rd run through. I love this show, for me it’s as close to a real-life Simpsons as you can get, in that there is a huge cast of supporting characters who pop in every now and then. It’s so good-hearted and consistently funny in my opinion. 

Series 1 is only 6 episodes, even if it’s not as strong as the rest you might as well if you think you’re going to watch the other 100 odd (?) episodes. 

On 24/04/2019 at 19:17, JohnC said:

I don't really get this idea of skipping the first season. It's not as good, but still decent. And a lot of stuff begins there.

Agreed. The first couple of episodes are tough going but it does get going and sets up a lot for the rest of the series. 

I don't know if it's considered heresy to say that Andy is probably my least favourite character? I don't dislike him but his one-note bumbling around doesn't do all that much for me. He has the odd decent line but generally he's a less funny classic era Homer Simpson. 

Everyone else is great. Donna hasn't had that much to do so far but she steals nearly every scene she's in.

3 hours ago, Majora said:

I don't know if it's considered heresy to say that Andy is probably my least favourite character? I don't dislike him but his one-note bumbling around doesn't do all that much for me. He has the odd decent line but generally he's a less funny classic era Homer Simpson. 

Everyone else is great. Donna hasn't had that much to do so far but she steals nearly every scene she's in.

He becomes consistently less funny as the seasons go on. That police detective thing wasn't funny the first time..

17 hours ago, Majora said:

I never tired of Andy. He did become more cartoonishly stupid, as with Homer, but his physical comedy is always great.

• 10 months later...

Having finished a 3rd full run thru of the US Office (which is now up there for me with Larry Sanders and seasons 1-3 of Arrested Dev) I went straight onto a first watch of this on Amazon Prime.

Had read here that the short first season was weaker so stuck with it as it didn't start out that strong at all.

I'm now halfway thru season 4 and I'd say I'm enjoying it but don't think its amazing - I like a lot about it (it sort of fills that warm fuzzy nice thing to have on itch) but other aspects grate a bit. 

I can't stand Tom Haverford (but like Jean Ralphio), find it weird how they try to shoe horn Anne Perkins in to things, she was a nurse who spent all the time in the office in the first couple of seasons for some reason. Leslie Knope doesn't seem to be that consistent as a character but isn't annoying. I love Ron Swanson though (and his ex wives) and think Rob Lowe is great.

It's not in the same league for me as the US Office, but that show gets better for me every time I go thru it again, maybe this is like that. It doesn't feel as 'detailed' or consistent in its approach, and it's sillier, not as cutting.

Good stuff though and I'm definitely enjoying it, these streaming services with 20m US length episodes are perfect to fit into whatever viewing gap you have. 

Funnily enough I started watching this for a fourth time this weekend and am a few episodes into season 2. I like Tom, but I can't stand Jean Ralphio). I find Leslie very much like Andy Samburg's character in Brooklyn Nine Nine in that they quickly toned them down in the first few episodes to make them more likeable, goofbally.