IGNORED

Parks and Recreation

roskelld

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Well exactly, there are only 4 good seasons. Once Chris Pratt gets buff and goes to Hollywood it goes down hill if I remember. Maybe 5 had it's moments?

Chris's character went downhill when he kept doing that terminally unfunny FBI character thing. Awful.

16 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I'm struggling with Pratt, too. I mean, he's supposed to be play a numpty, obviously, but since then he's revealed himself to actually be a numpty.

he was originally portrayed as an obsessed stalker, but they later turned him into a dumb goofball.

In things he acted in originally he was often cast as 'slimy boyfriend that the heroine shouldn't marry' - casting agents sometimes just get it.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Chris's character went downhill when he kept doing that terminally unfunny FBI character thing. Awful.

Oh yes, it's just that's when I remember the whole show seemed to fall apart a bit

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

The character work is always so good that the plot really isn't that important.

Some of the character work is okay but they're whatever they need to be for the episode to work. Ron will be dispensing sage advice in one episode and in the next he'll be having a hissy fit and ruining a barbecue because people had reasonable preferences about their food.

51 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Some of the character work is okay but they're whatever they need to be for the episode to work. Ron will be dispensing sage advice in one episode and in the next he'll be having a hissy fit and ruining a barbecue because people had reasonable preferences about their food.

When you keep a series going for several years, you're going to add wrinkles to characters. If you kept Ron as the laconic libertarian with nothing else, he'd have outstayed his welcome years before.

I'm still entirely sure that once the actors properly inhabit their characters, they're allowed to run free with them to a certain extent, and they just put it on screen.

Re: the Chris Pratt stuff. Obviously it'd be hard to watch now, but you only need to see the number of gifs and memes to realise that the slapstick/Burt Macklin bits were hugely popular. I think he's a gifted physical comedian, even if the chances of me seeing him do it again are pretty slim.

Fuck, next people will be saying they hated the Snakehole Lounge episode.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Well exactly, there are only 4 good seasons. Once Chris Pratt gets buff and goes to Hollywood it goes down hill if I remember. Maybe 5 had it's moments?

There are still some really good episodes in the last couple of seasons. For example, that's where

Spoiler

Werner Herzog

turns up!

18 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

and then obviously Aziz Ansari's whole thing also.

One incident where he insists everything was consensual, he apologised anyway, and the person involved accepted his apology?

Or was there something else?

13 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve never finished the final season as it was just awful. Bit like 30 Rock’s final season. I never really noticed it go downhill up until then, though. 

I enjoyed it but the show clearly finished at the send of series 6. All the "phones from the future" were just embarrassing.

23 hours ago, deKay said:

One incident where he insists everything was consensual, he apologised anyway, and the person involved accepted his apology?

Or was there something else?

An incident where he wheedled and cajoled and harrangued and baby-voiced someone until they felt bad for him and gave in?

It does make the Tom character feel problematic at times, yes.

Though I don't consider Ansari to be an egregious predator, and he seems to have done some useful work on Master of None.

On 06/01/2022 at 15:11, TehStu said:

I'm struggling with Pratt, too. I mean, he's supposed to be play a numpty, obviously, but since then he's revealed himself to actually be a numpty.

I’m fascinated that people seem to want to hate Chris Pratt. As far as I can tell, the extent of it is that he occasionally mentions his Christianity and has made some very vague allusions to right-wing stuff. You’d have to go out of your way to find it and have a problem with it.

2 hours ago, Halo said:

I’m fascinated that people seem to want to hate Chris Pratt. As far as I can tell, the extent of it is that he occasionally mentions his Christianity and has made some very vague allusions to right-wing stuff. You’d have to go out of your way to find it and have a problem with it.

I think he's a pretty dull action star, tbh, and that the comedy of Parks suited him better. He's very bland in the Jurassic World films and could be replaced by any Hollywood Chris pretty easily. 

As for the Christian stuff, that's his business, but the particular church he subscribes to is pretty dodgy with LGBTQ+ people with weird statements about them not being against "the gay lifestyle".

3 hours ago, Halo said:

I certainly don't sit here looking for people or things to hate, that way leads to death from chronic stress.

Without going into specifics because it's not my place to do so, LGBTQ rights are exceptionally important to my family and I don't like some of the things he's said. Are they egregious? I don't recall, because I've expended no effort on this, unlike what your comment implies. However, he's a very prominent figurehead for these views, whatever they were, and perhaps he's not even mentioned them since. All I know is, I've expended more thought about him in this post than I have in years.

For what it's worth, he's a great actor, at least in the roles I've seen him in. But I don't seek out anything he's in.

he's a right wing piece of shit who keeps alluding to homophobia, transphobia and belittled his disabled son with his previous partner. he doesn't need defending, fuck him.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

I'd forgotten about that.

he's just nasty, he's not clever about any of his plausible deniability stuff and I dunno if he was always like this or its recent but it doesn't matter to me, can do without him.