The most beautful game in the world

Stolly

WoW is certainly up there in certain places. The whole atmosphere can be incredibly powerful, more so than I've experienced in possibly any other game. It's a real world and you are there. It's certainly not aesthetically brilliant like some games, and there are tons of bland and ugly areas. In the most recent expansion though, some of the vistas and scenery and landscapes were simply fantastic, really reminded me of the early days of stepping into a new world. You'd be galloping down the side of a huge cliff, and just stop to take it all in. It says something about how strong the feeling is that you simply enjoy being there, not even doing anything game related.

Shadow of the Colossus is a great shout, I was just thinking of it. Despite the technical limitations, the fact you know you're reined in etc, it's got a brilliant sense of place, and that place is wonderful looking.

Always loved the scenery in Assassins Creed. Loved when you got to a new viewpoint where it did the 360 pan of the enviroment and large amounts of it were breathtaking particularly the view from the top of the Church in Acre which i think might have been the highest place in the game. Pity the game itself was fairly bland.

Another game that hasn't dated well at all but used to be right up there for me was the MMO Anarchy Online. The whole science fiction theme of Omni vs. Clan (think Star Wars meets Mad Max) combined with some lush forest and grenery used to be very striking. I'd watch the sun rise and set in moments of awe while playing it. Sad but true.

anarchyonline13.jpg

Anarchy-Online-1793EP1-17100EP1-Patch_4.jpg

Perhaps not on the scale of Ico and the like, but I think the central Hub and some of the outdoor worlds in Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are absolutely gorgeous.

banjo-kazooie-nuts-and-bolts-3.jpg

That achievment you get for climbing right to the top of the tallest point of the hub is worth it purely for the view.

I was gonna be slightly controversial and say Another World.

Maybe Rez, too.

EDIT: Oh, and defo Beneath a Steel Sky on the Amiga. That was light years ahead of any other game in graphics at the time.

Those are pretty much my choices exactly. Get out of my brain, please.

Perhaps not on the scale of Ico and the like, but I think the central Hub and some of the outdoor worlds in Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are absolutely gorgeous.

That achievment you get for climbing right to the top of the tallest point of the hub is worth it purely for the view.

Yeah I was going to mention that one as well, I got to the top of that point and just stood there for ages looking around everywhere. Nutty Acres looked amazing as well when I first entered that world.

I don't know about Flower. I think it's a beautiful feeling game, but not necessarily always a beautiful looking game, if that makes sense. In screenshots it could look a bit bland sometimes.

Now, Ico - that's a game where you could take a screenshot from almost any point in the game and it would look like it had been carefully posed and laid out. The grassy areas above the sea where those reflector satellite dish things were always blew me away.