The Waiting Game.....

dumpster

I'm not so sure the high second hand value will be maintained, but I may be wrong. I can see the shops at least being completely swamped with copies and no one's going to be paying CEX £55 when they can get it in Sainsbury's for £26 or Asda for £32, are they?

I'm definitely another person who won't pay full price anymore, unless I know I won't care about the imminent drops. I got stung by Star Ocean: The Last Hope this year. I hadn't even got far with it before Gamestation were selling it for £22 a week or two after its release.

As for "unless I know I won't care..." etc... these are the games I must have, the ones I make time for. I still have games I can be playing through, so there's no need for me to rush out and buy the majority of games until I get a gap. However, I will MAKE a gap for WoW: Cataclysm, or FFXIII - the games I eagerly wait for. :angry: They typically aren't really high profile, though. I thought WoW might be, but comparing when I bought WotLK to this Modern Warfare nonsense changed my reckoning!

I'm not so sure the high second hand value will be maintained, but I may be wrong. I can see the shops at least being completely swamped with copies and no one's going to be paying CEX £55 when they can get it in Sainsbury's for £26 or Asda for £32, are they?

The supermarket prices are limited to a few days. Then they will go back up to full price.

The supermarket prices are limited to a few days. Then they will go back up to full price.

One article I read said that a Sainsbury's representative had said it wasn't just for the launch week etc and they'd be keeping the price, of course I can't find it now and I'm not sure how true it is.

Edit: I found it, was in The Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/0...rfare-price-war

"A spokeswoman for Sainsbury's said the retailer expected the game to be its biggest seller of the year, with 120,000 copies expected to be sold in store and a further 2,000 online. She added that the £26 price tag was not a limited offer."

One article I read said that a Sainsbury's representative had said it wasn't just for the launch week etc and they'd be keeping the price, of course I can't find it now and I'm not sure how true it is.

Edit: I found it, was in The Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/0...rfare-price-war

"A spokeswoman for Sainsbury's said the retailer expected the game to be its biggest seller of the year, with 120,000 copies expected to be sold in store and a further 2,000 online. She added that the £26 price tag was not a limited offer."

That's odd, on all their press I thought the offer was until the 15th.

I think only a few games give you a good feeling that you have got it on release day. It's a community thing. Not only are you experiencing it but you're experiencing it with everyone else.

Arkham Asylum had "wait til £20" written all over it before release. But then the goodwill started to creep in from people once the demo came out. People started getting their copies a day early and they seemed really happy. I wanted part of that. I had a free weekend to play the thing. So I went to GAME (shudder) on release day and shelled out the full £40. Worth every single penny.

Can you imagine not getting The Orange Box any later than release day? I pity you if you did. I'd imagine a lot of us here worked through Portal that first night ...and then the song. We got to the song. We 'shared' that moment.

Only a few games can do that. There are lots of great games to play, some better than release date games, but they don't have that communal aspect to it.

That's odd, on all their press I thought the offer was until the 15th.

There's your answer. No way is this a permanent thing.

I tell you what I won't be doing, buying any more fucking "limited" edition releases of games, just so they can sit unplayed on my shelf while I finish off other things and then see copious amounts of these apparently "limited" editions being sold for half the price.

Plus the extras that makes them "limited" editions are invariably shit anyway. I haven't started Arkham Asylum yet because the batarang was so unbelievably shit that it put me off the whole game and made me want to cry.

Cheers,

Ryan

i haven't paid full price for a game since fallout 3, which was a bit of a gamble as i didn't really like oblivion (its fucking hideous) and i was extremely dubious about how much it would have in common with the old fallout games. Fucking awesome game though.

I've never really bought games at full price, with a few notable exceptions (gta games, mgs games, final fantasy games, dragon quest games, pokemon games) and some oddities like animal crossing wild world and skate 2 which i just wanted and happened to have money.

actually i think i've probably bought more games at full price for that reason or when i've gotten them as gifts. I've never bought nintendo games at full price as i never own the consoles when they're new, except for ds and gba games.

I'll be damn tempted by nsmb when i get the wii for christmas and galaxy 2 will be a dead cert now though. I've waited for the whole console untill there were a few really good games available for under twenty quid.

Fifa 10 and Modern Warfare 2 have now completely set in stone my intention never to pre-order anything ever again.

[immediate contradiction] That said, I still have Zelda: Spirit Tracks on pre-order because I don't see anyone beating £25 on launch day and I reckon I can sell on that limited edition tin for more than the RRP after I'm done with it. [\immediate contradiction]

You are joking right? You're missing out on a good game because of the batarang? :)

To be honest I've just not got around to starting it yet, but I did look at that shitty plastic batarang that looked so good in the photos and thought "Fuck me, I've payed almost twice the price of the game for THAT?!".

I'll start it soon, promise.

Cheers,

Ryan