IGNORED

Metro 2033

THQInsider

Whats the 360 version like, you sexy people?

I've rented the 360 version for the week and played for about an hour so far. I actually think the graphics look very good, there's a great attention to detail, and it's done well to create a very claustrophobic underground atmosphere. As for the gameplay......it's not really doing anything for me yet. I could say that the first hour is kinda slow but then I could say it's building up the charactors, the setting, and the story background. Plus it's like a gentle tutorial. The shooting has no effect on an enemy's movement which does feel odd after playing several games recently where bullet impact sends sprays of blood or blasts limbs off. I turned it off because I was a little bored although probably tiredness played a part. I'm going to keep playing it though to see how the story pans out and I hope the stealth aspects are as good as people are saying on here because I love stealth games, and I like survival-type games that have limited ammo.

:lol:

It looks twice as good as the 360 version on Medium, nevermind 'very high' DX11, which has an incredible amount of shaders, detail and lighting effects. I have no idea how it runs on a dual GPU setup either, it could be really poorly optimised for SLI/Crossfire for all I know. Like I said, the engine is a little ahead of its time, with plenty of room to grow into. I watched some 360 footage on gametrailers and it looked absolutely wank.

So no limbs fly off enemies when you shoot them? IS there some kind of hit detection in any way?

I hate it when games use shooting mechanics that are old. I mean Killzone 2 with its hit detection system is almost 1,5 years old and games still get released that use shooting and hit detection stuff that is way older than that :|

I guess most weapons don't have recoil or kickback too?

I must confess I don't really understand the bit I'm on at the moment. I have about 2 bullets in my gun and I'm expected to fight approximately a hundred billion well armoured enemies who are pointing turrets at me.

As far as hit detection goes, headshots kill unless they're wearing a helmet.

It looks great on my 42" plasma at least. Lighting and shadows look great. It takes a bit of a framerate hit when everyone around you starts shooting at you, but nothing unplayable. Your spend most of the game in a dark tunnel anyway, so hardly any need for Crysis level graphics.

I must confess I don't really understand the bit I'm on at the moment. I have about 2 bullets in my gun and I'm expected to fight approximately a hundred billion well armoured enemies who are pointing turrets at me.

As far as hit detection goes, headshots kill unless they're wearing a helmet.

im at the top of a staircase which goes onto a tunnel, the outlook is not good, there are about 10 enemies.

Apart from 10 shotgun shells all I have is harsh language.

It looks great on my 42" plasma at least. Lighting and shadows look great. It takes a bit of a framerate hit when everyone around you starts shooting at you, but nothing unplayable. Your spend most of the game in a dark tunnel anyway, so hardly any need for Crysis level graphics.

Ironically though, when you bump everything up to highest it's right on par with Crysis. Entirely different setting and atmosphere, but the shaders and lighting are just amazing. Like Crysis though, the highest level of detail doesn't really look too great without a fairly good framerate, as the motion blur and shaders don't really look right.

I really like what the devs are trying to do with this game. When things come unhinged and you can't help but notice the poor balance or the bad AI, I'm able to overlook it entirely on account of what I know they're trying to achieve. When a section does work fluidly or particularly impresses, I can't help but feel proud of the small underdog team who put their heart and soul into making it. The Eastern-bloc aesthetic probably looks bland to some people, I personally really like it. There are things pretty wrong with the game on occasion, but they don't seem to be able to penetrate the cool 'alien interloper' atmosphere that so few games get right. The closest thing I can compare this to is an Eastern European Half Life 2 (ironic as Half Life 2 was set in Eastern Europe!) with the snappily overpowered Gordon Freeman replaced with a slogging Russian scavenger , the sci-fi replaced with survival horror and the Valve polish replaced with a grim dusting of stoic Slavic grit.

In soviet Russia, game polishes you.

Also.

Nazis? Commies? Ghosts? Runaway mine carts?

This is a lot wackier than I thought it would be. Maybe the books are good...

Played the first couple of hours earlier on today and I'm liking it thus far. Sure it's linear and kind of old school in many ways, but the atmosphere is rich and the locations interesting. The combat isn't as bad as some people have made out, yes the enemies don't react well to gunshots, but its certainly nothing less than competent. It reminds me a little bit of Half Life too, which is never a bad thing.

And the comments about the 360 version looking rubbish is absolute bullshit. Elitist PC wankers.

Played the first couple of hours earlier on today and I'm liking it thus far. Sure it's linear and kind of old school in many ways, but the atmosphere is rich and the locations interesting. The combat isn't as bad as some people have made out, yes the enemies don't react well to gunshots, but its certainly nothing less than competent. It reminds me a little bit of Half Life too, which is never a bad thing.

And the comments about the 360 version looking rubbish is absolute bullshit. Elitist PC wankers.

Well, it just looks like it's running on a really bad PC. It's not like they've replaced all the character models with giant wobbly penises or anything.

I looked at this video just to make sure. My main concern is the low texture quality and the weird lighting, it looks really off and flickers jerkily from one surface to the next. Also, and I hate to go on about it, I simply couldn't play with such a narrow field of view, I'd feel like I was looking through a zoom lens tied around the characters neck. It gives me massive headaches. I worry at some point soon developers will stop bothering to let PC players change the fov.

The enemies are giving me a right run for my money and boy do they wince when they get hit with a shotgun blast, bits of armour flying off.

Once you get the super duper pistol, you can shoot through the eye holes of their masks for a headshot :(

I'm uploading a vid of some gameplay to youtube now, will link later.

Looks good. Makes me want another 5870 :( This is mine running in DX10 on 'high' at 1080p with AAA and 16XAF:

I can switch on 'very high' 90% of the time, but occasionally with lots of strong directional lighting it takes a shit and drops wildly. I've just installed the catalyst 10.3 preview drivers, this might help.

Note the video is still 'processing' so won't be full quality yet.

To be honest, the game needs properly configurable graphics options. 4 different profiles just doesn't cut it.

This game sounds just what I'm after, albeit a bit iffy on the optimisation front atm ( only to be expected with ex-Stalker devs in the mix ). Call of Pripyat is currently throwing me into a glorious clinical depression with its atmosphere so I think I'll wait a bit until they've patched Metro 2033 up before taking another holiday in bleak Russian land.

I'm kind of amused that people are disparaging space marine shooters and claiming a sci fi shooter with aliens, mutants, Nazis, Communists and ghosts as more worthy myself.

Yeah, there are loads of survival horror shooters set in a dilapidated Russian underground public transport system. Nobody is trying to claim the story elements are chosen with any more sagacity than those found in everyday shooters. Rather, the atmosphere and setting in which you encounter these elements offers something very different from your typical military or space marine shooter. I think if you read almost any of the comments on this page from people trying to explain what they like about it, or any of the reviews for the game attempting to do the same thing, that's pretty clear.

Also, there are no aliens and no sci-fi to speak of. It's pure survival horror in my opinion.

this really is great this game a slow burner but it offers unique ways of tackling problems such as checkpoints and removing guards., and I love the slow pace and survival aspect, making every shot count, removing light and slowly working your way through the world.

A wonderful contrast from MW2 and BBFC2.

Finished! Quite possibly the best singleplayer FPS I've played this year, and perhaps just a tiny bit better than CoP.

The ending was quite surprising. It was quite different to what I was expecting, and finished it off rather well. It wasn't really frustrating either, which is a blessing. Very well done, though tbh I don't think I understood the ending.

Are the dark one's former humans who have taken over the earth? What connections do they have with your character?

I understand there's another novel, so perhaps if they develop a game on that it might shed light on the ending.

I enjoyed the dark, dirty environments the game had to offer. It doesn't mix it up too often, but I thought they were all very well done. Heaps of atmosphere, and creepy sound effects. 4A Games have given plenty of attention to the world, and I found the stations to actually be fairly interesting. Plenty of unsettling areas found throughout, where they toy with visual hallucinations and such. Somewhat reminded me of Dead Space in a way, where they played with the sound in the distance to make it sound like something was nearby.

All of the weapons I found to be a joy to use and felt they had a lot of power, even the pistol. The Heavy Automatic Shotgun is essential for the later areas when you’re up against more powerful creatures, and you’ll be needing a scope also. Possibly one of the best and most satisfying weapons to use were the throwing knives. In stealth mode they can take out guys in one shot without making a noise, but you need to be sure not to hit their armour. Was great fun crawling around and knifing people in the back, then stealing all their kit and taking down another poor sod. Stealth never really worked for the Stalker games, but here it works great. Only minor problem with stealth is if you are spotted, you can’t hide from them again. You can blast your way out, but I would just restart and try my best not to get caught.

Some brilliant bits later on, like the

Library

level. The

librarians

were a freaky bunch alright, but the one’s in the archives below were even worse! Freaked me out when

I would just stare into its face, but it kept coming closer and I would have to slowly walk backwards. Only a few times did I actually manage to out-stare it and have it walk away

. Takes a helluva lot of shots to take down, or you could just run past several of them like I did. One of the better creatures I’ve fought in a game, as I’ve never found myself having to

intimidate a creature by simply staring at its face

. Really well done.

I found the story to actually be fairly good, unlike the Stalker series. No doubt that’s because it’s a linear game based on a novel, but it was told rather well I thought. I enjoyed hearing some of the characters banter, and were mostly quite likable. I’m thankful there weren’t any complete dicks in the game that try to backstab you (almost every FPS these days has them), as all the residents of the Metro were quite helpful unless they were Reds of Fascists. Unsure as to what happened to several of the characters, but maybe things will be explained if there is a sequel made from the second book.

Overall I had an excellent time with this game. It’s one of the better story-led games out there, and has a genuinely interesting world to discover. It’s not all shooty-shooty either surprisingly, as there are several levels where you don’t need to kill anything. Most of the FPS I’ve played recently have consisted of crappy stories, irritating characters and simply have the attitude of “Kill Kill Kill!”. There’s more to this title than meets the eye, and I’m thankful for that. Think it goes to show yet again that European developers are coming up with the more interesting goods, and I have that continues. Cheers 4A Games! :(

so the story sounds like it should be good right?

Heh, well I enjoyed it anyway. Not everyone might feel the same, but it's a damn site better than most other modern FPS's thats for sure.

I enjoyed what they did with the story, and look forward to hearing just what happens in the sequel (if it does get made, if not I'll need to read the novels!).