Blu Ray for 360 incoming

layten

You're right about the daytime limit, but then most people are working during the week, and tend to watch films in the evenings, even on the weekend, so you fall foul of the 3500MB limit. Last time I exceeded it I was throttled to 5mb download, for 6 hours.

EDIT: just checked on the Virgin site, and they throttle you by 75%, not down to 75%, so you're down to 5mb on a 20mb connection.

Whilst I appreciate that an MKV can look good, they really don't stand close scrutiny on a large screen (say 40"+) compared to a BD. And until BD IS mass market, it tends to be people into AV buying them, and having spent £1k plus on a big plasma screen they tend not to want a lower quality image, at least not those who frequent say the AVForums.

Anyhoo, with the huge amount of net bandwidth sucked up by things like iPlayer, I doubt the service providers are really ready with the amount they'd require for streaming LOTR to the mass market every night just yet.

sorry, I meant to say 'by 75%'. I definitley agree that HD streaming at BD quality isn't going to happen any time soon.

On the quality front I'm not sure I see the difference between a 720p MKV and a BD at 720p on my 43". Maybe I've just got used to it or maybe because at 720p the difference is less noticeable, I don't know. I'm almost more curious about the lossless sound improvement seeing as good DD and Dts can still knock my socks off.

Can't comment on the lossless audio but you're off of the mark on the Virgin front. On the 20mb connection it's 7000MB between 10am-3pm and 3500MB between 4pm and 9pm. By cap I assume you mean "throttle" as you can continue to download but at 75% of the max. I'd say there are plenty of MKVs "out there" that easily compare with BD on the PQ front, on my set-up at least. Having said that, it pisses me off a little but if you get what you want outside of those hours it's not a big deal.

BR for the 360? Waste of time. I'm still annoyed I bought the HD-DVD peripheral.

WTF???? Does nobody speak english anymore? ;)

I bought an HD-DVD drive and picked up a ton of films (including many of my favorites) when they were going cheap. I also got the 5 free by buying the drive so im certainly not sorry I got it. If they do come out with a Blu-ray drive, I may consider it as it will complement my HD-DVD collection :) Depends how much it costs... originally I was going to buy a PS3, but now im starting to cool off the idea so this might be ideal.

Whilst I appreciate that an MKV can look good, they really don't stand close scrutiny on a large screen (say 40"+) compared to a BD.

Depends on the size and the quality of the rip, surely? Sure, if you're watching those laughable "1080p" 4GB made-for-PS3 rips that are popping up everywhere lately, then yeah it will look significantly worse on a decent big screen. But otherwise...

Depends on the size and the quality of the rip, surely? Sure, if you're watching those laughable "1080p" 4GB made-for-PS3 rips that are popping up everywhere lately, then yeah it will look significantly worse on a decent big screen. But otherwise...

Oh yeah, I completely agree, it all depends on the quality used. However, given the average consumer's available bandwidth/daily download limit (pre-throttling), is anyone going to be able to offer streamed 1080p content, plus (lossy) audio that offers quality to rival a Blu-ray? As you say, a 4GB rip of a blu-ray is laughable, but to get say even an 8GB file over my faster-than-UK-average 20mb cable connection would be practically impossible for streaming. Plus there's the cost of purchasing the stream too from MS or whomever. Personally I'd rather pay LoveFilm £15 a month and get unlimited Blu-ray rentals with the superior video and audio they offer.

I grabbed a 20GB Transformers 2 rip the other week. It looked just as good as my Blu Ray films and took less time to download than it did to watch.

Oh yeah, I completely agree, it all depends on the quality used. However, given the average consumer's available bandwidth/daily download limit (pre-throttling), is anyone going to be able to offer streamed 1080p content, plus (lossy) audio that offers quality to rival a Blu-ray? As you say, a 4GB rip of a blu-ray is laughable, but to get say even an 8GB file over my faster-than-UK-average 20mb cable connection would be practically impossible for streaming. Plus there's the cost of purchasing the stream too from MS or whomever. Personally I'd rather pay LoveFilm £15 a month and get unlimited Blu-ray rentals with the superior video and audio they offer.

It seemed like you were implying that any mkv wouldn't be able to stand close scrutiny on a large screen compared to a BD, which (as the proud owner of a 46" Sony) I disagreed with. But yeah, streaming BD-quality video is currently very unrealistic to say the least, I agree with that. The files would be way too large, the bandwidth way too slow for the average household, and daily download limits would have to go. (genuine question btw: do most countries have a daily download limit system or is the UK one of the exceptions?)

I grabbed a 20GB Transformers 2 rip the other week. It looked just as good as my Blu Ray films and took less time to download than it did to watch.

That's what I meant. All of the rips I have look as good as any of my Blu-ray discs, I make sure of that before transferring them to my networked media tank.

It seemed like you were implying that any mkv wouldn't be able to stand close scrutiny on a large screen compared to a BD, which (as the proud owner of a 46" Sony) I disagreed with. But yeah, streaming BD-quality video is currently very unrealistic to say the least, I agree with that. The files would be way too large, the bandwidth way too slow for the average household, and daily download limits would have to go. (genuine question btw: do most countries have a daily download limit system or is the UK one of the exceptions?)

Yeah I see why you'd think that from what I posted. What I should have said, was that your typical mkv of the type you'd find 'out there' is say 4GB. Clearly if you go to the extreme of a 20GB mkv like Layte refers to, then the differences would be much harder to spot - possibly not visible at 'normal' screen sizes, especially if the accompanying audio was of the lossy variety.

I've no idea about download throttling outside the UK. I'm pretty sure it happens in the US. I think it's ultimately dependent on the service provider and the package you're on. The other thing in the UK at least, is that many people still can't get 'fast' broadband because some exchanges still need upgrading. The best speed I can get from ADSL in my town is 6mb, as opposed to 50mb via cable. My parents live in a village and the best they get is 2mb. Not much chance of streaming decent HD on that anytime soon. The old lady in Sweden with the 40GB connection will be okay though.

Apparently now its all bullshit. Although I cannot believe that the main man at Microsoft would confuse a 360 with a PC. Or maybe I am missing the joke. Or both. Anyway, is a dickhead

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/22/...n-xbox-360.aspx

During an interview yesterday, Steve Ballmer was asked about Blu-Ray and the Xbox 360. I wanted to clear something up. Steve was referring to Blu-Ray accessories for the PC. As we have said in the past, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-Ray drive for the Xbox 360. In fact, the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.

I mentioned it due to the fact I get annoyed watching anything on the 360 due to the background hum it generates, therefore watching a blue ray on it would be out of the question. Thank you for your as ever valuable input.

I couldn't watch a blu-ray on my PS3 let alone the 360 because both make more noise than I consider acceptable. My blu-ray player is absolutely silent, and until a console matches that I'll always take a dedicated player.

During an interview yesterday, Steve Ballmer was asked about Blu-Ray and the Xbox 360. I wanted to clear something up. Steve was referring to Blu-Ray accessories for the PC. As we have said in the past, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-Ray drive for the Xbox 360. In fact, the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.

In the US only no doubt.

I'm gonna be buying blu-rays as long as my broadband is limited to 2mb and all these nice steaming services are US only.

I couldn't watch a blu-ray on my PS3 let alone the 360 because both make more noise than I consider acceptable. My blu-ray player is absolutely silent, and until a console matches that I'll always take a dedicated player.

The PS3 isn't too bad at all as long as it's in a failry decently ventilated space. Besides, I'm not sure I can justify yet another box.

The PS3 isn't too bad at all as long as it's in a failry decently ventilated space. Besides, I'm not sure I can justify yet another box.

The problem with the PS3 (as it always was) is that the units seems to vary wildly in terms of fan noise. My slim is in a large, well ventilated space that has no heating, yet still makes quite the fan noise. My blu-ray player in an AV unit is silent. No contest for me.