IGNORED

Edge 208

bobin

Well obviously I'm just making a prediction. I think 2-D Mario just appeals to the Wii and Ds crowd far more than a 3-D Mario because of its relative straightforwardness. And you can bet Nintendo will be marketing the hell out of the 4 player mode on TV over Christmas.

Elsewhere, it seems to be getting plenty of Love. Leigh Alexander seemed quite taken by it, against her expectations.

Me, I can't see the occassion where 4 people want to sit and play a platformer together, especially if Rock Band is in the house. LBP tried it last year, never worked (although I'd expect this to be a much better platform game, naturally). It'll get played about as much as 4 player Crystal Chronicles and 4 player Four Swords did, then. ;)

And the Might and Magic game is right out of the blue, haven't heard a word about it. Might and Magic is that grid, turn based PC game, right?

That's the series but this one isn't. From what I've read it's a squad based tactical RPG but it didn't seem entirely clear.

Elsewhere, it seems to be getting plenty of Love. Leigh Alexander seemed quite taken by it, against her expectations.

Me, I can't see the occassion where 4 people want to sit and play a platformer together, especially if Rock Band is in the house. LBP tried it last year, never worked (although I'd expect this to be a much better platform game, naturally). It'll get played about as much as 4 player Crystal Chronicles and 4 player Four Swords did, then. ;)

Or you could just have fun playing it on your own...

Really?

More than, say, they'll be marketing the likes of Wii Fit Plus?

Definitely. They're looking for a new Mario Kart in terms of sales and they'll be heavily pushing this as the next big game all the family can pick up and play. Wii Fit Plus will be pushed heavily too but they're not going to be relying on a glorified expansion pack over Xmas and they need a new long legs title to appeal across all demographics and a 2-D Mario fits the bill perfectly.

Some mentalists were claiming it was a bigger deal than SMG2, when it's blatantly just another scrappy game being tossed to the auto-purchasing Nintendo faithful.

Mentalists? It will be bigger than SMG2, sales-wise at least. NSMB on the DS is still selling good numbers, and as has already been mentioned you can be sure that Nintendo will be caning the advertising for this on the run up to Christmas. It's got 'play-this-with-your-grandma' written all over it, while SMG2 just doesn't.

Did you play Yoshi's Island DS? It wasn't very good.

The only reason they tacked on Super Mario World 2 to the original Yoshi's Island was marketing bullshit imo, a Mario sequel where you don't even play as the main character, but instead as his inflatable mount, gimme a real SMW2, not some barely related game which has major mechanical differences. Imagine the uproar if SMG2 did the same thing, 3D Yoshi shooting eggs with the Wiimote while baby Mario wails through your speakers in surround sound :)

It does, however, have 98% written all over it from the US based games journalism sites though...

Well, we'll just have to see. I've played all the Call of Duty games apart from World at War and really like the series. But nothing close to a 10 really, but maybe that's because I never went very deep into the CoD4 multiplayer part which is supposed to be all kinds of amaze.

Definitely. They're looking for a new Mario Kart in terms of sales and they'll be heavily pushing this as the next big game all the family can pick up and play. Wii Fit Plus will be pushed heavily too but they're not going to be relying on a glorified expansion pack over Xmas and they need a new long legs title to appeal across all demographics and a 2-D Mario fits the bill perfectly.

I agree with everything you say until that bit. a 2D mario really doesn't fit the bill in my eyes. My parents would never dream of playing NSMBW. My mum might dabble in the DS game bu she also plays zelda on DS.

Just because NSMB has sold very well on DS doesn't immediately make it a sure fire hit on wii. The markets are very different.

Does DS success automatically translate to equivalent Wii success? Animal Crossing didn't seem to make anywhere near the splash on Wii as it did on DS from what I saw (here's where someone pulls out sales figures that show I'm talking bollocks)?

Does DS success automatically translate to equivalent Wii success? Animal Crossing didn't seem to make anywhere near the splash on Wii as it did on DS from what I saw (here's where someone pulls out sales figures that show I'm talking bollocks)?

Animal Crossing is more inherently suited to the handheld format though. If Galaxy can do 8 million, a multiplayer 2-D Mario should easily be beating that. Put it this way, Nintendo are expecting to sell 10 million worldwide by the end of this financial year alone. You can guarantee they'll be pushing the hell out of this over Xmas. People seem to be being doubting Thomas' over this for no real reason. It has far more widespread appeal than a 3-D Mario will ever have.

Mentalists? It will be bigger than SMG2, sales-wise at least. NSMB on the DS is still selling good numbers, and as has already been mentioned you can be sure that Nintendo will be caning the advertising for this on the run up to Christmas. It's got 'play-this-with-your-grandma' written all over it, while SMG2 just doesn't.

How well did Animal Crossing do on the Wii compared to the DS again? (EDIT: Looks like everyone above me just made that point)

Oh and 6 for Borderlands. EdgeLOL!

Wow, Majora is proper mental, it's hilarious. The only way I can think that he's arrived at this loopy idea that a home console 2D platform game would have more commercial appeal in 2009 than a 3D one is that he's basing this on sales figures of the Mario games that predated Mario64.

Well it'll be a bigger deal than SMG or SMG2 in terms of sales.

Of course it won't. Even if it's brilliant, it has the stigma of being a port up from the DS in the eyes of consumers -- and in the eyes of NOE, who will stock and promote it half-arsedly.

The 'casual' Wii audience will just shrug. Ever notice that the successful 2D platform games on home consoles tend to be downloadable? It's only us lot (dorks) that care about them now.

It'll be closer saleswise to Wii Music and Animal Crossing City Folk (or Super Paper Mario - or Zelda Four Swords, which it is essentially a retread of) than SMG.

Anybody thinking success of a game on a handheld automatically translates to success on a home console is insane.

It's got 'play-this-with-your-grandma' written all over it, while SMG2 just doesn't.

:)

I seriously doubt that they expect the game to do 10m+. I'm sure they'd like it to, as they would have liked Wii Music to as well.

Straight from the source:

For this reason, we are launching Wii Sports Resort in Q2 of this fiscal year, then Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii in Q3 of this fiscal year.

These three titles have already been available for hands-on demonstrations at E3 this year. They were highly evaluated by most of those who actually tried them. Distributors also gave feedback like "The key player of this holiday season will be Nintendo as expected." So I believe each of these three software titles have the potential to surpass 10 million copies worldwide in the whole fiscal year.

So he's reckoning it could do more than 10 million in less than 4 months (FY ends in March 2010), let alone it's lifetime.

Marketing cock in hyperbole shocker.

Err, it's from the investor Q&A, not some marketing/PR interview. Who would have believed him if he'd said he believed some electronic weighing scales would move 20+ million units in under 2 years at $90/£60 a pop?