IGNORED

Edge 208

bobin

Mentalists? It will be bigger than SMG2, sales-wise at least. NSMB on the DS is still selling good numbers, and as has already been mentioned you can be sure that Nintendo will be caning the advertising for this on the run up to Christmas. It's got 'play-this-with-your-grandma' written all over it, while SMG2 just doesn't.

:)

You are kidding me, right?

Anyway...

Success on DS does in no way indicate similar success on wii:

Look at pokemon, brain training and animal crossing.

3 of the top 6 selling titles on DS yet none appear in the top 10 wii games. Animal crossing wii is 12th and Big brain 15th.

I'm not saying that it won't be a successful title but it's not in the same ball park as wii fit plus or wii sports resort.

Wow, Majora is proper mental, it's hilarious. The only way I can think that he's arrived at this loopy idea that a home console 2D platform game would have more commercial appeal in 2009 than a 3D one is that he's basing this on sales figures of the Mario games that predated Mario64.

Of course it won't. Even if it's brilliant, it has the stigma of being a port up from the DS in the eyes of consumers -- and in the eyes of NOE, who will stock and promote it half-arsedly.

The 'casual' Wii audience will just shrug. Ever notice that the successful 2D platform games on home consoles tend to be downloadable? It's only us lot (dorks) that care about them now.

It'll be closer saleswise to Wii Music and Animal Crossing City Folk (or Super Paper Mario - or Zelda Four Swords, which it is essentially a retread of) than SMG.

Anybody thinking success of a game on a handheld automatically translates to success on a home console is insane.

Wow MK, I wrote my post entirely independently of yours. Great minds and all that...

Of course it won't. Even if it's brilliant, it has the stigma of being a port up from the DS in the eyes of consumers -- and in the eyes of NOE, who will stock and promote it half-arsedly.

The 'casual' Wii audience will just shrug. Ever notice that the successful 2D platform games on home consoles tend to be downloadable? It's only us lot (dorks) that care about them now.

This is totally retarded. The casual audience will eat it up because it's nostalgic and non-threatening, unlike SMG. It's got the multi-player angle and nobody gives a fuck if it's ported up/down from anything else, these are people who are buying a console with seven year old tech because they can control it by spazzing their arms about.

You're totally backwards here, it's us dorks who aren't showing it any respect because it's a slightly polished DS game and it's us dorks who don't seem to care about 2D platformers anymore, which I'm basing on the incredibly hostile reception this game is getting round here.

This is totally retarded. The casual audience will eat it up because it's nostalgic and non-threatening, unlike SMG. It's got the multi-player angle and nobody gives a fuck if it's ported up/down from anything else, these are people who are buying a console with seven year old tech because they can control it by spazzing their arms about.

You're totally backwards here, it's us dorks who aren't showing it any respect because it's a slightly polished DS game and it's us dorks who don't seem to care about 2D platformers anymore, which I'm basing on the incredibly hostile reception this game is getting round here.

If I was the type I'd be betting a bollock now. NSMBW will not sell 10M this financial year.

I find it astounding that anyone believes that NSMBW has anywhere near the casual appeal of wii fit plus or wii sports resort.

If NSMBW gets bundled heavily then that is the only way it will get anywhere the casual audience.

I'm definitely in the doubting camp here. I will be very surprised if a 2D platformer sells 10m copies. Obviously LBP isn't an ideal comparison, but selling 10 times as many as that after the amount of advertising it got doesn't sound that easy.

There will be a lot of kids who've got DS's and NSMB, who will be seeing the tv ads and posters for NSMBWii and sticking it on their xmas list. And I should imagine there's a significant amount of families around the world that have a ds owning kid and a family wii. Maybe 10 million is slightly optimistic but I wouldn't be suprised if it gets pretty near that. Sure if the DS game hadn't preceded it then it'd get nowhere near that, but it did and there's now a huge installed base out there who will probably buy it based on the name alone.

If MW2 is praised for how well the single player mode is paced, no infinite spawning, plus the addition of the spec-ops mode and a great, even improved MP game too, they could give it a 10, saying how Infinity Ward when above and beyond the Call of Duty to make this sequel. Check THAT out for an awesome play on words and to tie in with IW wanting to be distances from the COD name :)

Edge writers, you can borrow that if you like.

Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games will be bigger than NSMBWii.

Also this year is going to be the year of the 'step up'. What's a step up you ask? It's when the Wii kiddies get that PS3 or 360 that they've been badgering Mum and Dad for all year. The Wii then gets consigned to gather dust/traded in like it has for most of us.

The latter point is not true. This is getting a big push.

Anybody thinking success of a game on a handheld automatically translates to success on a home console is insane.

We'll see, I guess. I don't think Nintendo's expecting it to do NSMB DS numbers, but I think it'll do better than Wii Music and Animal Crossing.

Wow, Majora is proper mental, it's hilarious. The only way I can think that he's arrived at this loopy idea that a home console 2D platform game would have more commercial appeal in 2009 than a 3D one is that he's basing this on sales figures of the Mario games that predated Mario64.

It'll be closer saleswise to Wii Music and Animal Crossing City Folk (or Super Paper Mario - or Zelda Four Swords, which it is essentially a retread of) than SMG.

What on earth gave you the idea NOE are going to stock and promote this half-heartedly? This is their big Xmas game. There are going to be tons of adverts of families all sitting around playing it together. And as for it not outselling SMG, of course it will. The 2-D Mario's are accessible and iconic in a way the 3-D ones aren't amongst the casual consumer. I'm more interested in SMG2 too but you're confusing your personal interest with the commercial potential of the game here.

The truth.

To this I would like to add that if you look at history and see that the last, true, 2D Mario game on console sold 20 million copies(World in this case) and then compare that to the first 3D Mario, which sold 11 million, you see that there is a gap of 9 million consumers that find 3D Mario unappealling.

But it doesn't stop there, what you also need to factor in is that a new 2D Mario wasn't released anymore until New Super Mario Bros on the DS, which ended up giving the DS a MASSIVE sales boost. Something that the 2D ports on the GBA hadn't even managed.

AND THEN you look at the fact that Mario 64 is the best selling 3D Mario worldwide. Not even Galaxy can touch it with its 8,5 million copies sold.

And why do people keep bringing up Animal Crossing? First off, Animal Crossing, though a big succes, is not a succes on the level of Mario Kart, NSMB, Nintendogs and Brain Training with 11 million copies sold. So far, the Wii version has sold 4 million copies worldwide. If you would factor in the idea of dimished sales, NSMB could easily become a 10 million seller let alone outsell Animal Crossing and Wii Music.

The problem with Animal Crossing however stems from the fact that that particular formula works better on a portable than on a console. Animal Crossing became and only became a succes on the DS. The Gamecube version wasn't that much of a hit.

But 2D Mario on the other hand, started life on the console and was kept on the console until the N64. Interesting to see that the N64 died on it's arse along with the Gamecube. While 11 million is nothing to sniff at, when you look at the fact that Nintendo lost over 9 million sales when going 3D, you start to wonder why they stopped making 2D mario in the first place.

Interesting to see the same sales decline with the GBA too. That also never had an original new 2D mario either.

I'll be very surprised if NSMB Wii didn't sell 10 million or more.

And another thing: who ever said Brain Training was on the Wii? That was Big Brain Academy you idiot! Which was never a succes on the DS to begin with(at least not in the BIG SELLERS category).

Amazed I got this through the post today. Anyhoo, a 6 for Borderlands... I bought it today. It's not really as rubbish as Edge say it is, is it? They compare the combat to Fallout 3, more or less saying that a stat based FPS doesn't really work.

I didn't think Borderlands was stat/dice roll based though was it ? Each weapon does a certain amount of damage and that's it is it not ?

To this I would like to add that if you look at history and see that the last, true, 2D Mario game on console sold 20 million copies(World in this case) and then compare that to the first 3D Mario, which sold 11 million, you see that there is a gap of 9 million consumers that find 3D Mario unappealling.

But it doesn't stop there, what you also need to factor in is that a new 2D Mario wasn't released anymore until New Super Mario Bros on the DS, which ended up giving the DS a MASSIVE sales boost. Something that the 2D ports on the GBA hadn't even managed.

AND THEN you look at the fact that Mario 64 is the best selling 3D Mario worldwide. Not even Galaxy can touch it with its 8,5 million copies sold.

And why do people keep bringing up Animal Crossing? First off, Animal Crossing, though a big succes, is not a succes on the level of Mario Kart, NSMB, Nintendogs and Brain Training with 11 million copies sold. So far, the Wii version has sold 4 million copies worldwide. If you would factor in the idea of dimished sales, NSMB could easily become a 10 million seller let alone outsell Animal Crossing and Wii Music.

The problem with Animal Crossing however stems from the fact that that particular formula works better on a portable than on a console. Animal Crossing became and only became a succes on the DS. The Gamecube version wasn't that much of a hit.

But 2D Mario on the other hand, started life on the console and was kept on the console until the N64. Interesting to see that the N64 died on it's arse along with the Gamecube. While 11 million is nothing to sniff at, when you look at the fact that Nintendo lost over 9 million sales when going 3D, you start to wonder why they stopped making 2D mario in the first place.

Interesting to see the same sales decline with the GBA too. That also never had an original new 2D mario either.

I'll be very surprised if NSMB Wii didn't sell 10 million or more.

And another thing: who ever said Brain Training was on the Wii? That was Big Brain Academy you idiot! Which was never a succes on the DS to begin with(at least not in the BIG SELLERS category).

You're trying to tell us that you understand the casual audience better than we do yet imply that the general buying public understand the difference between brain training and big brain academy. I'm sorry but those 2 things don't add up.

You're trying to tell us that you understand the casual audience better than we do yet imply that the general buying public understand the difference between brain training and big brain academy. I'm sorry but those 2 things don't add up.

Laugh all you want, still doesn't explain why Big Brain Academy wasn't as big as a succes as Brain Training on the DS.

Looks like people understood the difference between the two better than you give them credit for.

I'm pretty sure Mario World was bundled with consoles for a lot of its sales. 10 million for NSMB Wii? What the fuck are people smoking? It'll sell a couple of million, but fucking hell, I can't see it reaching 8 figures.

So was Super Mario 64 from what I remember.

And if NSMB was able to reach 19 million+ sales without being bundled right from the off, than NSMB Wii can reach 10 million.

when you look at the fact that Nintendo lost over 9 million sales when going 3D, you start to wonder why they stopped making 2D mario in the first place.

They lost 20 million sales when going from the simple graphics and limited gameplay of Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 3. They should have just left the formula alone.

They lost 20 million sales when going from the simple graphics and limited gameplay of Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 3. They should have just left the formula alone.

Yeah, nice try. SMB3 was never a pack-in with the console.

It was the biggest selling non pack-in Mario title up until NSMB on the DS.

Hmm, but there are a whole lot more DSs out there than Wii's

And many of those DS's owe it to NSMB that they're out there in the first place. If you look at the sales charts you can see that NSMB is stil selling. After three years of being on the market it's still selling 100k on average.

EDIT: Let me elaborate Nap0leon, when NSMB was first released in Japan it caused quite an upswing in hardware sales. One of the reasons that the DS became so prevelant in Japan and other territories was because of NSMB. NSMB alone is one of the best sold games EVER in Japan with more than 5 million copies sold. There is only one other Mario game that sold more and that's the original Super Mario Bros.

This is why we are seeing a new 2D Mario on the Wii in first place. To boost hardware sales(and especially in Japan seeing as that Galaxy never did that).