Mad Max - Fury Road

Goose

The video at the end of that article shows numerous shots where it looked like they were moving in the film but they shot it static. The pole cats storming the war rig, most notably.

I love that idea of a B&W cut though!

Wow. Honestly one of the greatest cinematic experiences I've ever had. It was incredible from start to finish and I really do think it's set the benchmark for action cinema.

As others have said, the only thing I wasn't entirely sold on was Tom Hardy's portrayal of Max, although that could have been because I recently watched the first three and had Gibson's epic performance fresh in my mind. After sleeping on it, I think it was probably a good idea to try something different with the character and it probably would have been more jarring to see Hardy attempt a Mel Gibson impersonation.

It really is Charlize Theron's movie though. She was incredible.

I think what's shown in that video would have been for close ups of Charlize and Riley. If the whole scene was shot with a static vehicle it doesn't correlate with what they're saying about it being a "hairy" stunt or Tom going under the wheels if the wires snapped. If it wasn't moving there wouldn't be any risk other than Tom falling onto a mat (or the ground if they're mean).

Unless they're all bullshitting I'm assuming when you see Tom's head a few inches above the ground with it moving underneath it's because they're on a moving vehicle, not because it's something that's been put in afterwards.

It's possible they shot more setups than just the ones seen in the released behind the scenes stuff. I don't see much reason for them to be bullshitting about stuff.

Mad Max: Fury Road had a pretty solid hold at the start of its second weekend, earning $23.885 million on its second weekend (-47%) and bringing its cume to $87.3m. The critically-acclaimed George Miller action sci-fi sequel should earn around $31m for the Fri-Mon frame and bring its cume to around $94m domestic. It’s been getting strong buzz all week with copious anecdotal reports of repeat theatrical business for the $150m Warner Bros.

Saw this earlier. It's good, great in fact, but I don't think it's as good as people are making out. I really enjoyed it but I don't think I'd feel like I was missing out if I never saw it a second time.

Liked spotting the nods to the originals, though.

Not sure what people are going on about when they say they couldn't understand the dialogue, it was all perfectly clear to me. I will say, though, it wasn't the assault on the senses some people have said it was, so maybe the cinema I saw it in went for clarity over volume?

my cinema was really quiet and i struggled to make out some of the dialog. This happens alot nowadays, oddly with the exclusion of Interstellar which was deafeningly loud (which I really enjoyed partly because of this)

I remember one time when everything in the cinema seemed to be super loud and awesome and now it's seems tame on comparison. maybe my hearing's fucked.

The video at the end of that article shows numerous shots where it looked like they were moving in the film but they shot it static. The pole cats storming the war rig, most notably.

I love that idea of a B&W cut though!

I'm sure there are a load of shots that were created from a static vehicle. However I'm seriously doubting there were many where the wheels were in shot and needed to be CGed in after. Certainly not "60%".

I watched it again last night with the intention of deconstructing shots to work out how they were achieved, but thankfully I got absorbed enough into the world again to give a shit.

Edit: Having now seen some of the John Seale video posted above the information from the site you linked to seems to be from there. However, from what I got from it that information has been jumbled up, so 60% of non-moving vehicle shots and a few shots where wheels were earmarked for being fixed in post have been made to sound like the same thing.

Enjoyed this a lot, I just loved all the unnecessary little details and I'm certain I'll spot a million more things once the Blu-Ray comes out. Really made the world feel lived in and bizarre enough to be in an early Judge Dredd comic.

Dakar Rally death race, what's not to love? :)

Not sure if this has been posted already or if it's of any interest, but this is an amazingly comprehensive look into the cinematography of Fury Road by DoP John Seale. It's pretty awesome if you're into that sort of thing.

https://vimeo.com/127381179

This is fascinating stuff. About an hour in they talk about the theory of setting the composition of the action dead centre so your eye doesn't need to move during the rapid cutting. I wonder if the 3D layering and need to select yourself what to look at fucked this up some what. Can't wait to see this in 2D at some point.

That bit with the exploding guitar and steering wheel coming out of the screen in 3D was laughably bad :(

I saw it in 2D and that's the only bit that made me remember that they were showing it in 3D too.

I might go and see it again in 3D actually, it's worth a couple of watches.

I found the dialogue hard to follow in places too. I put it down to the cinema, I'd chosen one that's not cinema de lux so I could be sure it was showing in 2D, but maybe it wasn't their fault. All the bassy stuff was really loud and clear, but sometimes people would say stuff and it was like they were mumbling it (people other than Max, ho ho!).

Anyway, a couple of questions on points I missed. Firstly, why was Nux needing

his blood bag? Was it something wrong with him, or did all the War Boys have the same illness going on?

Also, with the old lady who carried the seeds in her bag, what happened to her to

make her zone out in the truck? I remember some guy attacking her in some way, but I missed exactly what, and I wasn't sure if she was then physically injured or psychologically damaged in some way.

Fantastic film. The only low point was the very end, but no-one seems to be able to end a film well these days, so ho hum. You really get sucked into the world of Fury Road, and when you come out of the cinema you feel like everything is Mad Maxish.

I feel like watching an old Max film now out of interest. Never seen any. Is the first actually any good? I know it's supposed to be the most grounded and that 2 is the most-loved, so I dunno whether to just jump in with 2.

I found the dialogue hard to follow in places too. I put it down to the cinema, I'd chosen one that's not cinema de lux so I could be sure it was showing in 2D, but maybe it wasn't their fault. All the bassy stuff was really loud and clear, but sometimes people would say stuff and it was like they were mumbling it (people other than Max, ho ho!).

Anyway, a couple of questions on points I missed. Firstly, why was Nux needing

his blood bag? Was it something wrong with him, or did all the War Boys have the same illness going on?

Also, with the old lady who carried the seeds in her bag, what happened to her to

make her zone out in the truck? I remember some guy attacking her in some way, but I missed exactly what, and I wasn't sure if she was then physically injured or psychologically damaged in some way.

Fantastic film. The only low point was the very end, but no-one seems to be able to end a film well these days, so ho hum. You really get sucked into the world of Fury Road, and when you come out of the cinema you feel like everything is Mad Maxish.

Nux

It was never explained what happened to Nux, I assumed that he was injured on a previous, unseen, raid.

Old Lady

On of the War Boys managed to slice her throat so I think she was slowly bleeding out

The Nux thing.

Basically, all the War Boys have got cancer. Immortan Joe has convinced them that because they are going to die early, they might as well go out in a blaze of glory in Valhalla and they will be reborn - "I live. I die. I live again!"

Nux

It was never explained what happened to Nux, I assumed that he was injured on a previous, unseen, raid.

Old Lady

On of the War Boys managed to slice her throat so I think she was slowly bleeding out

I think it was her ear actually.

I feel like watching an old Max film now out of interest. Never seen any. Is the first actually any good? I know it's supposed to be the most grounded and that 2 is the most-loved, so I dunno whether to just jump in with 2.

MM1 is brilliant, I almost prefer it to the second one; it's not as action-packed as the sequel, but it's got this real sense of building menace and gradual loss of control. The stunts are gobsmacking as well, given that they're pretty much doing them all for real.

I know it's probably been pointed out earlier in the thread, but having not paid much attention to the marketing (preferring to go in cold), it was only tonight, upon re-watching MM1 for the first time in probably twenty years, that I realised that Immortan Joe in Fury Road is played by the same actor who played Toecutter in the original film.