IGNORED

Mad Max - Fury Road

Goose

That's fine. I was referring specifically to the start of this film, where he says he was a cop.

Not that it really matters (he has a son in the first film, not a daughter), but in the first film when he's a cop the apocalypse has already happened.

But yeah, still, if he's the same character he should be an old man.

The Citadel and Gas Town also communicate with each other via signal lamps so there was clearly some kind of deal going on. I'm hopefully going to see it again tomorrow, but I seem to remember something about the War Rig being protected for the journey was actually to fool the populace of the Citadel, and the road to Gas Town was actually very safe.

I assumed at the start that Furiosa's convoy was going to raid Gas Town, but yeah, seems it was a trading party. I don't think the road is safe though, those spikey guys seemed to have their territory between gas town and the citadel.

The first film is set at a point where society has started to break down and lawlessness is taking over, but before the 'actual' apocalypse. There's still shops, there's still towns, there's still police, but things are getting a bit out of control.

The second one picks up an unspecified amount of time afterwards, post-nuclear war, when there really is nothing left, and that's where the traditional post-apocalyptic setting begins. There are hints to the events of the previous film in Max's costume (the missing arm, the leg brace) and a few vague flashbacks at the beginning, but it's pretty much it's own thing and was basically released as a stand-alone film in the US originally.

Continuity isn't really a thing between them, the closest comparison I can think of is probably The Man With No Name in Leone's Westerns, Max comes across like a myth who starts and ends every film wandering the desert alone. His V8 Interceptor has been completely destroyed no less than three times now.

Contrary to what's been said in here though, I don't think the original holds up very well these days. It's basically a mega-low budget exploitation flick with some insane car stunts, but in spite of some entertainingly insane performances it often feels tortuously long, bizarrely edited and completely nonsensical at points. If you've been buoyed by your enjoyment of Fury Road to check out the originals, I don't think you'd have anything to lose by checking out The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome first (which have much more in common with Fury Road), and then treating Mad Max as a curiosity afterwards. I fear people would actually be put off the later films by watching Mad Max first, I know my brother was when I tried to watch them with him earlier in the year.

Not that it really matters (he has a son in the first film, not a daughter), but in the first film when he's a cop the apocalypse has already happened.

No. Society is breaking down, there are roaming gangs and oil is becoming scarce, but it's clearly not post-apocalyptic yet. You still have plenty of civilians wandering around and a functioning government to pay for the police force. If you must build a continuity around the scant details on screen, you have to assume the oil crisis from MM1 leads to global war, probably nuclear war, between the first two films.

The only really consistent detail is the character iconography: black leather jacket, one sleeve ripped off; dirty jeans; big boots; knee brace; the last of the V8s. Everything else is in flux.

Edit - I like CarloOs's comparisons to Spaghetti Westerns. You feel like you're watching a film made of a retelling of an oral history, distorted by time, with the details worn smooth by the retellings.

Contrary to what's been said in here though, I don't think the original holds up very well these days. It's basically a mega-low budget exploitation flick with some insane car stunts, but in spite of some entertainingly insane performances it often feels tortuously long, bizarrely edited and completely nonsensical at points.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I watched it earlier this year and didn't enjoy it anything like as much as I thought. Tonally it's all over the place, and it has really weird pacing too. It's not awful or anything but it very much looks like a rough and ready prototype with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I watched it earlier this year and didn't enjoy it anything like as much as I thought. Tonally it's all over the place, and it has really weird pacing too. It's not awful or anything but it very much looks like a rough and ready prototype with the benefit of hindsight.

I suppose from a contemporary perspective it doesn't help that even if you haven't seen it, most people going in know the basic plot of the film...

...in that he's a rogue cop who loses his loved ones and is out for revenge in a lawless society, but when you actually watch it none of those events are set in motion until the last twenty minutes, so you end up spending the majority of the film impatiently waiting for everything to go wrong. His 'revenge' in particular, which you might reasonably expect would make up a significant portion of what is essentially a 'revenge-thriller', is over rather abruptly.

:facepalm:

CGBfvndUgAAY9ga.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjhZmA7M0w&feature=youtu.be&t=420

I like that Tom doesn't even dignify it with an answer. What was the guy thinking? Did he imagine Tom replying like this'

"Actually yes it did and it caused a lot of debate. Most of us really didn't want too many women but there was an agenda from our publishers to include more women as it's run by a woman and she wants women to feature more in films so that men struggle in the industry. I understand what you're saying, hopefully the sequel will have more men on screen then women. We will do everything in our power to turn this back into a movie primarily aimed at men such as yourself."

A man's movie? FFS, because male audiences are so goddam underserved by Hollywood aren't they? Mediocre journalist is mediocre.

Where has this bullshit about the film being feminist propaganda come from, anyway? Peeps should be happy there's an action heroine fit to stand alongside Ellen Ripley. And that there's a movie that, despite being utterly batshit mental, creates a world more believable and absorbing than 99% of the bilge spewed out during blockbuster season.

Yeah, I've seen a few interviews and it's clear that there was no intention to purposely aim it towards women or any feminist agenda. I think it's actually surprised many of those working on it. All it is, is that the characters are human and women play important roles. In a blockbuster, this is so rare that when it does happen you get a lot of people going 'WTF?! What's with all the limelight on the women?!!?'

I assumed at the start that Furiosa's convoy was going to raid Gas Town, but yeah, seems it was a trading party. I don't think the road is safe though, those spikey guys seemed to have their territory between gas town and the citadel.

There's definitely a pact between Bullet Farm/Gas Town/Citadel, given the signalling between them when the convoy sets out and how Bullet Farmer/People Eater/Immortan Joe all team up to hunt down Furiosa. I assume that the tanker coming from the citadel is full of water too (implied in the scene when the wives are hosing themselves down), and that they are taking it to Gas Town in exchange for guzzoline. I saw someone on Neogaf point out that collectively they control the regional supply of Bullets/Gas/Water (essentially the three main commodities), so it makes sense that they'd strike up a trade deal.

The spiky guys only attack when Furiosa goes off road towards the canyon, I don't think their territory lies between the Citadel/Gas Town - I hadn't considered it before, but I quite like the idea that Joe is just putting up a big show of what would probably be a fairly routine trade operation in order to keep the population in check and stop them straying outside :)

Anyway, went back for a second viewing tonight, was good to catch a bunch of dialogue that I missed the first time round.

Totally missed that Nux says "Witness me" to his lady friend just before flipping the truck :(:wub:

I suppose from a contemporary perspective it doesn't help that even if you haven't seen it, most people going in know the basic plot of the film...

...in that he's a rogue cop who loses his loved ones and is out for revenge in a lawless society, but when you actually watch it none of those events are set in motion until the last twenty minutes, so you end up spending the majority of the film impatiently waiting for everything to go wrong. His 'revenge' in particular, which you might reasonably expect would make up a significant portion of what is essentially a 'revenge-thriller', is over rather abruptly.

And rural Australia is still quite similar to how it's depicted in the movie.

I really want to see all these interviews and articles but can't because I've still not seen the damn thing. Mate of mine yesterday was saying he didn't notice any blurryness from the 3D at all but then he went to some fancy NY cinema. That's the thing right? Cinemas have different quality projectors so some 3D is worse than others. All the ones I go to (several so far) make things blurry during action sequences and make the film look 5% darker (I can 100% see a difference in tone when taking glasses off and on).

I really want to see all these interviews and articles but can't because I've still not seen the damn thing. Mate of mine yesterday was saying he didn't notice any blurryness from the 3D at all but then he went to some fancy NY cinema. That's the thing right? Cinemas have different quality projectors so some 3D is worse than others. All the ones I go to (several so far) make things blurry during action sequences and make the film look 5% darker (I can 100% see a difference in tone when taking glasses off and on).

No, all 3d is shit. High quality projectors just add sprinkles on top.

and make the film look 5% darker (I can 100% see a difference in tone when taking glasses off and on).

Umm, of course they do. With the glasses off, both eyes are receiving both images, so you're getting twice as much light as with the glasses on.

I noticed it for the first few minutes because I was looking at things out of focus but after that it didn't distract me at all and I honestly think this is a movie (like avatar and HTTYD) which does benefit from it. The sandstorm scene was visually breathtaking.