rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Mad Max - Fury Road

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

Friday the 13th, Alien, Robocop (before it went more family friendly), First Blood and I'm sure there were others which had merchandising for kids.

In terms of toys, I think your memory is a bit off as I looked into this:

Friday the 13th - Can't find any evidence of a contemporary toyline

RoboCop - Toys based on the later spin-off child/family friendly cartoons/TV shows

Rambo: First Blood - Only the later kid's cartoon spin-off had a toy line.

Alien - This did have a single figure produced for the original film which had to be pulled due to complaints and they cancelled other planned toys. The eventual toy line for it was released 5 years after the sequel was made so not exactly much use in terms of making the films commercially successful :P

There were some actual tie-in toy lines aimed at children released around the time an R-rated action film came out in cinemas, Blue Thunder, Terminator 2 and Demolition Man had them. Conan the Destroyer got a limited toyline, but that film got recut to a PG.

This was also over 20-30 years ago, a time when plenty of other things might have been socially acceptable in society and Hollywood ;)

I included games among the merchandising.

I also just discovered Micro Machines for Starship Troopers and the first 3 Alien movies.

Also, why does something have to be used as a promotional device for the movie theatrical run to be merchandising? That's just stupid.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Also, why does something have to be used as a promotional device for the movie theatrical run to be merchandising? That's just stupid.

Because that is how this whole tangent got started! Why did Mad Max: Fury Road not have any toy merchandising released with the film was what was posted. The answer to me seemed related to the rating of the film and the fact most massmarket toy merchandising for big budget films is aimed largely at children and younger people, though not sure how well the Justice League shaving tie-in helped sales of that product as that was clearly not aimed at children.

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

Alien - This did have a single figure produced for the original film which had to be pulled due to complaints and they cancelled other planned toys. The eventual toy line for it was released 5 years after the sequel was made so not exactly much use in terms of making the films commercially successful :P

Did you know that Kenner's planned line of "Alien" (not Aliens) action figures got as far as having moulds made, and Super 7 subsequently obtained the moulds and released them as "ReAction figures"? The subsequent success led to a series of deliberately-bad 1970s Kenner style figures for other franchises in collaboration with Funko, and, I like to think, inspired the entire Funkopop nanotech plague.

Interesting to know, the sites that mentioned the existence of the Alien toy don't talk about that recent development. At least all that hardwork didn't go to waste in the end :)

This discussion did get me wondering why big American toy companies used to think it was a good idea to license R-rated films to make toy lines aimed at children, the answer would seem to lie with the 'interesting' approach Americans have to film ratings, much like their attitude to guns and doing other things while driving. The US film rating system is developed by the MPAA itself and only actually has one firm age rating, NC-17 (formerly X) and no film wanting to make any money would ever choose to go for that rating, all other ratings are only advisory in reality:

I was 11 eleven years old when Alien hit the theaters and, still riding the Sci-Fi high of Star Wars two years earlier, I convinced my parents to let me and my little brother see the movie at the theater.  This was a big deal — I had never seen an R-rated movie and my Mom walked us to the ticket booth, bought our tickets and gave permission to the theater employee for us to see the movie.  Then she left…. Needless to say, Alien made a lasting impression on my brother and I!

The R rating is one of the most severe, and cautions parents against taking young children to see movies without learning more about them first. But according to a study released in Pediatrics, “more than 2.5 million kids between the ages of 10 and 14 watch the typical, violent R-rated movie.” 

Movie theater owners and managers shouldn’t have to be parents. Parents should be parents. But because too many parents are choosing to bring children under the age of 6 to R-rated movies across the country, theaters are implementing major changes. 

"At Regal, it's our job to provide the best moviegoing experience for our patrons, and we want to make sure there are minimal interruptions during R-rated movies. We best achieve this through controlling the number of children in these films."

The only reason the cinema chains even started giving a shit isn't because of some moral objection to allowing very young children to see violent films, it's only because they disturb actual adults wanting to watch R-rated films!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-08-04-tweens-violent-movies_N.htm

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/More-Theaters-Banning-Little-Kids-From-R-Rated-Movies-Because-Common-Sense-119127.html

http://collectingclassicmonsters.com/monster-toys/action-figures/kenner-1979-alien-action-figure/

Innuendo Studios have done a terrific, hour long, eight part look at Mad Max Fury Road and how it relates (or more accurately doesn't relate) to regular tropes of women in action movies, "Bringing Back What's Stolen. Fury Road and the Avenging Feminine".

You can start with the intro and click through to each of the following videos:

I've seen this film close to a dozen times already and it just keeps getting better the more I learn about it.

• Upvote 4

I have no idea who this guy is but at this point I will cling tightly to the slightest possible rumour. :omg:

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2014 at 20:53, Capwn said:

It won't be very good. It's just a smartly put together polished and creative trailer. It has Sam Worthington in it, he's never been in a good film.

This aged really well, eh?

Interview with George Miller:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/george-miller-mad-max-fury-road-interview-best-action-movie-of-decade-furiosa-sequel-1202156053

This is what he says about the prospect of more in the series:

Are there are two “Fury Road” sequels in the works? 

There are two stories, both involving Mad Max, and also a Furiosa story. We’re still solving, we’ve got to play out the Warners thing, it seems to be pretty clear that it’s going to happen.

How did you get into this legal wrangle with Warner Bros. over “Fury Road”?

It all started because of the chaos at Warner Bros. and not Kevin Tsujihara, it was pre all that. He wasn’t the antagonist, because a lot of people didn’t know what was going on and were not prepared to make a definitive stand; everybody was running around fearful, it seems, through three regimes. It was hard to get anyone’s attention, so we went to litigation. The chaos has stabilized and it’s become extremely positive as the dust seems to have settled after [the AT&T merger].

Little detail hidden at the end of this Variety article on how the production and pre-production of movies has been distributed...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/hollywood-productions-limbo-coronavirus-1203543478/

Development slates at the studios are also in flux. Most executives don’t expect things to get back to normal for several weeks, though a few are taking video and phone meetings as they try to game out films they hope to greenlight in the next 12 months. Director George Miller, for instance, has been meeting with names including Anya Taylor-Joy for his “Furiousa” spin-off, which he hopes to start shooting in 2021.

Of course, Miller is making concessions to coronavirus — those auditions have taken place via Skype.

Is this going to be like the reverse of the 2008 writers' strike? Back then you had to film but you had no writers so Hollywood realised they could basically skip doing that properly. Now you can't film so you might as well get the writers to really polish the shit out of those scripts and maybe make them realise people like good ones.

• Upvote 4

George Miller has said some more about the Furiosa movie:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/movies/mad-max-sequel-furiosa.html

When we discussed the production of “Fury Road” for a new oral history, Miller confirmed rumors that he is moving ahead with a stand-alone movie about the action film’s heroine, who became a fan favorite thanks to Theron’s determined portrayal. Still, for those hoping to see the Oscar-winning actress back in the driver’s seat, you may have to adjust your expectations: The film is a prequel centered on a young Furiosa, and Miller is searching for an actress in her 20s to take over the role.

Miller hopes to make the Furiosa film once he completes the drama “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. That film was supposed to begin shooting this spring, but production was delayed when fears of the coronavirus forced an industrywide shutdown.

“So after we finish it, and hopefully everything settles down with the pandemic, we’ll see what the world allows us to do with Furiosa,” Miller said.

“For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don’t think we’re nearly there yet,” Miller said. “Despite the valiant attempts on ‘The Irishman,’ I think there’s still an uncanny valley. Everyone is on the verge of solving it, particular Japanese video-game designers, but there’s still a pretty wide valley, I believe.”

Though Theron won’t be returning, some crucial members of the “Fury Road” team have signed on. One is the Oscar-winning production designer Colin Gibson, who dropped a tantalizing detail about the prequel’s scale: As we discussed all the vehicles he built for “Fury Road” — 88 were seen onscreen, but 135 were made in total — Gibson teased, “The next possible iteration, which is on the table, has even more.”

The NYT has also published an oral history article on Fury Road:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/movies/mad-max-fury-road-oral-history.html

And Charlize Theron has also been commemorating the fifth anniversary of its release:

• Upvote 2

Everyone is on the verge of solving it, particular Japanese video-game designers, but there’s still a pretty wide valley, I believe.

Weirdly specific. Referring to Lindsay Wagner in Death Stranding?

Yeah there’s an IGN video where he plays Death Standing, for some reason. 

Anyway Theron is out. Jodie Comer is on the shortlist which doesn’t have me jumping for joy though she’s fine. I’d maybe look at Samara Weaving or Matilda Lutz. Or heck, get Riley Keogh. She’s one of the Fury Road wives which is awkward, but she’s been great in several films since and a bit of Furiosa makeup would disguise her enough that it wasn’t jarring. 

I'm really glad that George Miller is not only able to see that the tech isn't there yet and that such uncanny valleys can easily spoil a movie, but also that he isn't afraid to actually say that out loud and be honest about it. Do what's best for his movie instead of doing whatever gimmick is in vogue - instead of blindly stumbling along with the latest and fanciest tech. One of the many things that make him one of my all-time favourite directors. That he's able to direct the most outstanding and exhilarating action sequences I've ever seen also helps! I have faith in the Furiosa movie just because he's doing it.

• Upvote 1